N52 Swap Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hoveringuy

"Finally, for everyone's amusement, my latest track day behind a 2018 Cayman S."

That's my kind of video! Fantastic and thanks for sharing it!

Comment

On this episode of "Engineering Explained", T-bolt clamps! By this point I've put around 800 hard track miles on the car over 7 events. I completely understand the sentiment that "racing makes the breed stronger", because any weaknesses will be sussed-out. Gareth is watching gleefully because every weakness I encounter is one less thing he'll need to deal with.

So I got black-flagged at the very end of my last track day. Something about "exhaust dragging on the ground". Waa!

It was fixed in 5 minutes with some zip-ties.

I've got two kinds of clamps holding my exhaust up. I used the stock e30 hangar at the subframe with an exhaust hangar that's clamped on the exhaust. There's another rear hanger to the muffler. The single clamp that I had at the subframe failed, which overloaded the rear hanger and the exhaust fell down. The one that broke was a standard T-bolt clamp, I'll be replacing it with two Mikalor Supra clamps. I could just weld that hangar onto the exhaust, and I probably will, but I was leaving it clamped for the adjustability. This is 100% my fault for underestimating the fatigue on that clamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	10029367 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10029366 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	10029365

Comment

That's a much beefier looking clamp. Looks like the thin metal on the old one stretched, and those single spot welds couldn't hold together.

if I redo my exhaust I'll probably do something similar to what I have now - but I want to modify the rear so I'm using both of the OE mounts instead of only one. I "temporarily" (permanently) attached it to the second one using a metal clamp, it's ugly but it stopped it from rubbing on the valance! My front mount is bolted to the transmission using the original bracket, it's not going anywhere..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ha! Same things happened to me twice with my S52 swapped setup.I uprated the clamps and added some tie wire around the rubber muffler mounts to limit sway.

Comment

My season concluded with a day at the Ridge today. I don't go there but once a year so it takes me most of the morning to get comfortable with the track. Ran a 2:02.50 which is a full 6 seconds quicker than last year with the M54, but I feel like a 2:00 is in my grasp.

https://youtu.be/14PsjTMkiUA

To-do over the winter:

-replace the stock brake reservoir with a Chase Bays one to keep the leakage down from the vent.
            -Can I do something about the diff breather?
            -Tilt the gas pedal further right. My foot is too wide, I need more room on the brake pedal.
            -Wilwood rear brakes. The confidence from the front is amazing!
            -Maybe another tuning session to focus on the mapping for very low end for daily driving.

Other than that, I put over 1000 hard miles on the motor over 8 events and the only casualty was a broken exhaust clamp. I'll call that a win!

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

-Maybe another tuning session to focus on the mapping for very low end for daily driving.
              I’ve heard rumors about a different intake that fits these motors that’s got flappy tube low down torque magic.

Comment

Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post

I’ve heard rumors about a different intake that fits these motors that’s got flappy tube low down torque magic.
                Sure, I believe rumors of a magical intake just as easily as Shikaka, the great white bat with magical guano.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  My season concluded with a day at the Ridge today. I don't go there but once a year so it takes me most of the morning to get comfortable with the track. Ran a 2:02.50 which is a full 6 seconds quicker than last year with the M54, but I feel like a 2:00 is in my grasp.

https://youtu.be/14PsjTMkiUA

-Can I do something about the diff breather?
                  Super cool track!

Fit and NPT adapter or weld one in where the vent hole is, Sometime you can fit and elbow on it. Then hose the vent higher with catch can or filter, Z3M diff cover may help.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Got any plans for more power?

MILVs seem pretty proven. I'd also like to see someone try a set of N55 exhaust cam rockers for more lift but I don't think anyone's officially tried that yet.

Comment

I have a set of N55 rockers to measure.. I really need to get on that. Guy from E90 post sent them to me a few months ago, I've just been busy.

I'm not sure if Steve has plans on adding more power. it's pretty quick the way it is. MILVs aren't going to be a game changer or anything, but they will help you get everything out of the engine and are pretty easy to do. I've had them in my daily driver for a couple years now.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MWC View Post
                        Got any plans for more power?

MILVs seem pretty proven. I'd also like to see someone try a set of N55 exhaust cam rockers for more lift but I don't think anyone's officially tried that yet.
                        Quite possibly. It's sad how quickly you get used to 270+ whp. The problem is that power isn't what's presently keeping me from being faster, I need to add Wilwood BBK in the rear and tweak the handling first. Probaby after next season. I want Mk60 ABS, too...

Comment

You gents see this?

Comment

Those look nice, but they're probably useless for an E30 swap. the E90 is a land barge in comparison (I know, I own one), there's like 2-3" extra space in the engine bay to fit these things.

I'd love to be wrong, but probably they won't fit. Has anyone tried any of the cheap ebay headers for size? those are probably not useable anyway, but if you can get a set cheap enough maybe you could have a prayer at fitting some better ones..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have the roundelwerk headers on mine and they fit like a glove.
                              Running offset treehouse style control arm bushings to clear the flanges. They’re close but they fit. My flanges are being removed for v-band clamps when I get to the exhaust bits, so there will be even more room.

Comment

You can go on alibaba and buy the roundelwerk/AA/etc. headers directly from the Chinese suppliers. My first set arrived in about a week and I have a second set on the way right now. Shipping is expensive but all in I paid $380 each.

Comment

Working...
                                X