Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by noid View Post
    I don't know why anyone struggles with converting to R134a, just run R12a.
    Well... 12 isn't so attractive for cost and availability, but there ARE drop-in replacements for it on the market.

    Comment


      I'd use another port for the pressure switches or remove it. I suspect that's there to attach a manifold gauge and is not for your switches.
      Deck Lid and soft top Shocks on hand

      Seat shocks on hand for immediate shipment
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

      Comment


        Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        Well... 12 isn't so attractive for cost and availability, but there ARE drop-in replacements for it on the market.
        R12A =/= R12, I was referring to the hydrocarbon based R12A.

        Larger molecule means no leaks or changes to seals, and its fully compatible with the oils and components of an R12 system. Just fill and go.

        The United States is one of the only places left where hydrocarbons aren't readily sold as a replacement for R-12 systems. Primarily because the EPA has yet to approve it based on insufficient flammability studies.

        In most countries in Europe, and Canada, you find it everywhere (local parts store, hardware stores, etc).

        Surprisingly because HC's aren't ozone depleting, they do not require EPA reporting and therefore are legal to sell in the US. So it really only makes sense if you plan to refill it yourself.

        HC's are flammable and people get spooked when they read things like butane and propane, but remember, all refrigerants (because of the oils) are flammable; and I would challenge anyone to find reports of HC's causing vehicle fires. Those same people are concerned with ~12oz of refrigerant, but are driving around with 55 liters of gasoline :rofl:.

        But remember, HC's are non-toxic, and naturally derived, so they burn clean. Do you know what happens when you burn R134a? Hydrofluoric acid, hydrochloric acid, phosgene, carbonyl flouride and carbon monoxide.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

        Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

        Comment


          RIP the pics in this thread :(
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

          Comment


            The ADPI condenser in the first post is out of stock everywhere I've looked.

            Edit: Found this post:

            Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
            It appears FCP has a Nissens condenser that is parallel flow.

            https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-64538391509

            I've ordered one for my AC project this winter - we shall see how it goes!
            My car was built in 11/87. Per the first post it should already have barrier hose. How accurate is the 09/87 production date for implementing barrier hose? The car is a 325iX.
            Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM.

            Comment


              Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              RIP the pics in this thread :(


              Fuck photobucket so hard

              Comment


                Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                Fuck photobucket so hard
                They've screwed the interwebs
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                  They've screwed the interwebs
                  Yes, PB basically destroyed half of the how-to threads I go to. That sucks, but for this thread, maybe it's time to start a new one on the topic. The community has gained a lot of experience in doing the r134a conversion since the first post was written, and it took me almost a week to read thru all of it.

                  I'm going to do the conversion on my '90 325is later this summer or next, so if the need is still there, I can start a new thread with the latest info consolidated into on post.

                  I did print the original post to pdf in 2013. Here:
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...ew?usp=sharing
                  R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                  └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)
                  ..24

                  Comment


                    Aleman - Thanks for downloading the original DIY! I just saved it in my E30 files.

                    I know there's already a long line ahead of me, but PB can suck my balls.

                    Cory
                    1992 325i 'vert
                    1988 320i Touring
                    1977 530i
                    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                    2001 325i - R.I.P.
                    BMWCCA
                    E30CCA

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Aleman View Post

                      I did print the original post to pdf in 2013. Here:
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3...ew?usp=sharing
                      Very nice! Also I've forgotten how horrible my old logo was :s

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                        Finally converting to R134a after being an R12 believer, but just can't justify that any longer and my R12 black market guy is running out.

                        Have already replaced exp valve and now ready to replace my Nippondenso 10P15E compressor and rec/drier. Looking for a direct bolt on replacement, and wondering if anyone can recommend a good source. Ebay has Four Seasons brand 57352 that seem to be direct bolt on. Anyone using this one and can speak to quality/reliability? Says it's compatible with R12 and R134a.

                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compress...5XV4ZL&vxp=mtr

                        Did you end up using this compressor? I'm getting the parts together to get this done and need a new compressor myself.

                        Comment


                          Compressor

                          Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                          Did you end up using this compressor? I'm getting the parts together to get this done and need a new compressor myself.
                          I got mine from RockAuto.com last year along with a new parallel condenser and receiver/dryer. Great prices! The compressor is a DENSO 4711117 for under $200 with a clutch.

                          I'm running a single 15" or 16" puller fan in place of the old mechanical fan. I use a Mishomoto fan controller I bought from ECS Tuning that works great. I just discovered the wiring in the front grill for the aux fan for the a/c. The fan must have been removed the the previous owner. I'm looking at a cheap 10" or 12" fan from Advanced Auto Parts to add in front of the condensor as a pusher and wiring it to the factory wiring.
                          Question: how have you mounted the fan in the front? It's not clear to me how to do that and I don't really want to use those plastic ties to poke through the condensor.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by NorseMan View Post
                            I got mine from RockAuto.com last year along with a new parallel condenser and receiver/dryer. Great prices! The compressor is a DENSO 4711117 for under $200 with a clutch.

                            I'm running a single 15" or 16" puller fan in place of the old mechanical fan. I use a Mishomoto fan controller I bought from ECS Tuning that works great. I just discovered the wiring in the front grill for the aux fan for the a/c. The fan must have been removed the the previous owner. I'm looking at a cheap 10" or 12" fan from Advanced Auto Parts to add in front of the condensor as a pusher and wiring it to the factory wiring.
                            Question: how have you mounted the fan in the front? It's not clear to me how to do that and I don't really want to use those plastic ties to poke through the condensor.

                            Awesome, thanks! I'll give that compressor a try. I'm likely going to be using the stock fan setup since I still have that from when the PO removed the A/C system from the car.

                            How are your temps currently? Are you looking to add the fan because it's not cold enough or is the car overheating?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                              Awesome, thanks! I'll give that compressor a try. I'm likely going to be using the stock fan setup since I still have that from when the PO removed the A/C system from the car.

                              How are your temps currently? Are you looking to add the fan because it's not cold enough or is the car overheating?
                              Engine temp runs fine. I have a huge puller fan on the radiator with a Mishimoto controller from ECS - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimot...ancntluprobe~/
                              However, this is my only fan. It's wired to turn on with the a/c. I thought about adding a small pusher fan in the front of the condenser in hopes to get the a/c temp a little lower. It blows fairly cool, but should be colder. I'm thinking a pusher fan would help here plus the piece of mind of having two electric fans. It also may not be very efficient to have just the puller fan behind the radiator as the primary for helping to cool the a/c too as it has to pull air through the radiator and then the condenser.
                              So, I'm thinking of adding a small 10 or 12" pusher fan that will easily fit through the front grill (without having to take the front end apart) and connect that to the factory aux fan wiring. The only problem is that the small fans won't attached to the stock mounting brackets built into the condenser, so I would either use the plastic mounting ties that push through or try to fab up a simple bracket with some L braces and attach that to the factory mounting points. I think I like that idea better. Thoughts?

                              Comment


                                I've done the conversation and the factor fan on the condensers works great, I really see no need to upgrade . A/C blows 42 degrees on 98 degree day in traffic.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                FEEDBACK:
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

                                BMWCCA #398608
                                IG @yagayo38

                                "The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X