No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right. I just purchased mine from amazon about 2 months ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

I got a parallel condensor from rockauto and mounted the fan with conduit straps.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	7188303

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	7188304

Last edited by dsphil; 08-30-2016, 12:33 PM.
      sigpic
      327is
      325es
      325es
      318is
      Fiesta ST
      E46 M3

Comment

This is with a Spal 30102048 16" Pusher.

Drilled the new rivets off the new condensor and bent/moved mounting points as necessary. Flipped the drivers side mount 180ยบ as it is just screwed on.

Comment

Originally posted by RampageRR View Post
          Anyone have a link/URL for a parallel flow condenser that isn't from Amazon? That link says the part's currently unavailable (with an "unknown" time for restock), so if anyone has a link to another seller of a known good parallel flow condenser, please post it up. Thanks!
          This should be the same according to the description below the pics, look for part number 3464:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Condense...9XcXbe&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
            This should be the same according to the description below the pics, look for part number 3464:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Condense...9XcXbe&vxp=mtr
            This is the exact one I ended up ordering shortly after I made my original post - should be here this Friday or Monday of next week, so hopefully I'll have an update for everyone as to how it works out by the end of next week.

Comment

Curious to see if anyone has had luck doing this conversion on an M10 E30?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

It appears FCP has a Nissens condenser that is parallel flow.

I've ordered one for my AC project this winter - we shall see how it goes!
                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                '95 525iT
                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                '98 Disco 1

Comment

good write up

Long time lurker posting, made account to buy stuff from members.

But i just wanna say that after some initial trouble with leaks found when vacuuming the system and not having the new aux fan connected correctly.

The two wires that are for the low/high speed must be crimped together when connected to the new fan so that it is turned on when the snowflake button is pressed and when the temp sensor is tripped

My AC would not work until I sorted the wiring issue. We had to jump the compressor in order to charge the system

Other than that been enjoying cold ac.

Comment

I couldn't find a lot of detail on the forms, but I'm planning on doing this conversion specific to a M42 with a M44 electric fan (just plugged into the OEM aux fan wiring) - do I need to be concerned with adding a pusher fan?

I've added the lower temp switch and my aux fan is no longer connected, and when I hit the AC button, the electric puller fan comes on, or when it gets to about 3/5ths on the temp gauge, the fan comes on.

I don't think this will be a problem, but is that some kind of strain on the AC system?
                    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Finally converting to R134a after being an R12 believer, but just can't justify that any longer and my R12 black market guy is running out.

Have already replaced exp valve and now ready to replace my Nippondenso 10P15E compressor and rec/drier. Looking for a direct bolt on replacement, and wondering if anyone can recommend a good source. Ebay has Four Seasons brand 57352 that seem to be direct bolt on. Anyone using this one and can speak to quality/reliability? Says it's compatible with R12 and R134a.

Last edited by TrentW; 02-25-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Read all 25 pages of this DIY, so I apologize if I missed the answers to my questions below. Unbelievable amount of great info in this thread!

Starting to diagnose inop condition of the AC in my Touring. It has the 134a fittings, so some form of conversion was done. Noticed that it still has the old style drier, with both pressure switches.

Is it correct that still having the low pressure switch would not adversely impact operation of the converted system?

I pulled back the rubber boot from the connection to the low pressure switch, and one of the wires was disconnected. Would this impact operation of the system? I may have pulled the one wire off when pulling back the boot.

Thanks, Cory
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Is it correct that still having the low pressure switch would not adversely impact operation of the converted system?

I pulled back the rubber boot from the connection to the low pressure switch, and one of the wires was disconnected. Would this impact operation of the system?
                          Rarely do things work out easier than expected. Looks like I already answered both my questions. Hooked the gauges up last night and the static pressure was 20 psi. Tried to add 134a and nothing was happening. Reconnected the second wire to the low pressure switch, and the compressor immediately kick on and the system started taking the 134a. After adding one small can, the vent temp was 48 degrees. Sweet! Dynamic pressures were 25 low and 100 high, so the system is not working perfectly, but I'll take 48 degree discharge air at idle anytime. Fingers crossed that the leak is not too bad.

Cory
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

just an FYI on my 318is, I was able to take out the condensor and fan without taking off the valence or bumper

I'm refreshing my AC now after owning my e30 for approx 15yrs. THanks for this post!
                            Anyone else get a reman or new compressor have suggestions on what brand?

Also other than OEM where else is there to source the ac lines?
                            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                              just an FYI on my 318is, I was able to take out the condensor and fan without taking off the valence or bumper

I'm refreshing my AC now after owning my e30 for approx 15yrs. THanks for this post!
                              Anyone else get a reman or new compressor have suggestions on what brand?

Also other than OEM where else is there to source the ac lines?
                              I got my r134 compressor for my 318is from partsgeek. It was $200 shipped.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

read on this thread to go with seltec or sando but cant find specifics on where or model
                                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X