No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks good but I disagree about the end fences going below the splitter, I think you are going to find that you just cream those on curbs, unless you have the splitter really high off the ground. Also you want a beveled leading edge (beveled towards underneath the car, sharper on the top side), not a large blunt end like that aluminum you added. That's just my $0.02, I think you did a good job overall and it should be very effective.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I've seen both. Going with this for now. Endplate swap is easy in any case.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

Time to finish off the splitter.

Aluminum bits dismounted and screwed to a temp carrier for powder coating. Tunnels & screws going too.

Sanded the splitter and liberally coated with penetrating epoxy.

Holy freaking hell. Rob failed to mention this is dangerous stuff. Toxic as hell and strongly exothermic. It literally set up hard in 10 minutes but continued out gassing and heating up. Yes I wore a mask. Should have been a hazmat suit.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Epoxy cured hard really hard and smooth as glass

After sanding and two coats of flat black paint

Aluminum bits are in for flat black powder coat. Two week wait.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Do you know what it weighs yet all back together?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

About 10 lbs. Will weigh when I re-assemble

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Also polystyrene resin emits lot of heat if overdosing with oxidiser.

Comment

Most resins/adhesives will kick off in larger volumes. Split it between a few cups and you'll avoid any issue.
                  At my old job, we wouldn't mix cups larger than 100g (not including hardener) because they tended to cook off. Sometimes you'd end up with a dozen cups for larger layups.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Well damn. It's 105F in Austin. So hot apparently that the paint flash dried in the air before it hit the splitter and fell off. I'll have to re-sand tonight and paint tomorrow at Zero Dark Thirty. Or convince Rob. He's a morning creature, up at 4AM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Guess they're not kidding about temperature. Only time it's below 90F in Austin is 5-6AM. Ugh

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Re-sanded. Let's just call this the base coat. I need to wait 24h more for all the VOCs to outgas, THEN I can repaint it. At 5AM. I feel like I'm fabricating a bloody surf board.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Splitter is done. Here are my artsy "tech blog" reveal photos

And the final product

I gotta say, of all the projects we've done for the Beast this was one of my favorites to build and see finished.

Now ... let's take it to the track.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

What's up with the beast? Back on the race track yet?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

We're just finishing moving into the new shop. Beast is done and ready for an Aero test day. Harris Hill is too short so we're looking for a better track. COTA is $$$$ but we may end up doing that. I miss Texas World Speedway. It was the perfect track.

Wrenching side, minus the lift

Fab side. Work in progress

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I registered for r3v just to say how much I love this build. Hopefully the move went well, and you're enjoying some early season testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X