Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a ham-fisted moron. Is this fixable? (cylinder head)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a ham-fisted moron. Is this fixable? (cylinder head)

Yep, I broke this. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Oof, when I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be a rocker shaft journal...

I don't think you're going to fix that for less than the price of a used head.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Wow. Me too. It can be repaired, but as Northern said, it's gonna cost more than a replacement.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

JB weld is all you'll need
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I have a I head for sale, Im in Florida
          [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

got a head here where the rear corner broke off and the crack went through the rocker shaft plug groove.......looks a bunch easier to fix than that though
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Time to visit the wrecking yard.

Comment

What junkyards are you going to that still have an M20 powered car more often than a few times per year?

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

yer dunno what its like over there, but anything over about 20yrs old here gets crushed.

How did you break that anyway? drop the head on concrete or something?

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    What junkyards are you going to that still have an M20 powered car more often than a few times per year?
                    Even here in the nice car twilight zone, there are E34s occasionally in the yard I usually go to, so I wouldn't be that surprised?
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                      yer dunno what its like over there, but anything over about 20yrs old here gets crushed.

How did you break that anyway? drop the head on concrete or something?
                      My bets are on forgetting the retainer is there and hammering the shafts out.
                      Last edited by E30SPDFRK; 01-28-2020, 12:27 PM.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post

My bets are on forgetting the retainer is there and hammering the shafts out.
                        Hopefully not....I mean one can "forget" the retainer, ok maybe. Hammering shafts with such force to break it? Those things are hand force removal items.....if no go by hand, something else needs to be addressed prior to the removal.

OP, I don't think you should repair that. Not sure on your budget, your plans for the head and how much parts you already purchased. $600-700 should get you a complete refurbished 885 head ready to install.

Comment

cast alumnium is brittle, give it a decent tap its going to break the casting for sure
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I am with Digger. Have seen m20's fall off hoists and/or stands in the past, unfortunately - heads and valve covers have been victims.

Seeing the OP knew enough to disassemble the head in the first place, won't take much to replace the casting. Just be a bit more careful next time. :p
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                            X