M30 with RHD ITB - Dyno Graph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 with RHD ITB - Dyno Graph

We just love the M30B35 we have in our E30 but will love it more after the winter. Guess why?

We will upgrade our M30 engine this winter with the following setup:

93mm bore, 86mm stroke - 3503cc
    Forged 93mm Carrillo-pistons with 11.4:1 comp
    Camshaft with our own design
    13.3mm lift, rated duration 308°, duration 0.05" 264°
    RHD 45mm ITB

Getrag 240 M10 gearbox
    3.64 rear diff from a Bmw 318 M10

​​​​​​... and some other minor parts.

We are building the engine together now and are ready in a few months, will post some pictures during the work as well as dynore results. Feel free to ask questions!

In
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Looking forward to your results!

At the shop we just completed a top end upgrade on an m90b35 (m30 head on an m5 bottom end basically). Baseline Dyno was just over 200whp (bone stock grey market 635csi). Owner picked up a set of Weber/Redline carb manifolds while we were doing the head work. The plan is to Dyno with the installed 284 cam, +1mm valves, IE headers, Motronic 1.3 harness/ECU (our custom chip) and extensive porting/flow testing on my bench. Then MS PNP, Dyno, then back to induction using the RHD ITB and Weber manis, then Dyno again.

Good luck on yours. :)
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

should be fun to drive when its all done

what cam and follower is that?

is a getrag240 upto the job?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

oh thank god.

this will be good
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            is a getrag240 upto the job?
            I doubt it will make more power or torque than some of the turbo M42s that have been punishing G240s over the years.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

According to '02 FAQ turbo guys the breaking point of the G240 from their turbo M10 experience is 290 ft lbs - at that point it will break just from engine load without shocks to the driveline etc. I'd imagine that the G240 won't last long with an e85 fed M30?
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                According to '02 FAQ turbo guys the breaking point of the G240 from their turbo M10 experience is 290 ft lbs - at that point it will break just from engine load without shocks to the driveline etc. I'd imagine that the G240 won't last long with an e85 fed M30?
                I can state that you are wrong, it is actually possible to ride M30 ITB with E85 fuel with good durability with Getrag 240. :)

This was our dyno results:
                280.0 hp @ 6290 rpm
                351.9 Nm @ 4758 rpm

Really good power figures. :)

/R

Comment

Nice to know & good effort on getting your engine up and running - your 351Nm is 258 ft lbs so it's under the 290 ft lbs I posted as the breaking point of the G240. It should last a while at those power levels.

How many miles have you put on the swap so far? I've put over 100,000km on my M30 swap and the G240 has been fine at stockish power levels. It'll be good to know how long it lasts (hopefully indefinitely, but time will tell). On street tyres it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MiWision View Post

I can state that you are wrong, it is actually possible to ride M30 ITB with E85 fuel with good durability with Getrag 240. :)

This was our dyno results:
                    280.0 hp @ 6290 rpm
                    351.9 Nm @ 4758 rpm

Really good power figures. :)

/R
                    are you in the USA? what brand dyno is that?
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                      Nice to know & good effort on getting your engine up and running - your 351Nm is 258 ft lbs so it's under the 290 ft lbs I posted as the breaking point of the G240. It should last a while at those power levels.

How many miles have you put on the swap so far? I've put over 100,000km on my M30 swap and the G240 has been fine at stockish power levels. It'll be good to know how long it lasts (hopefully indefinitely, but time will tell). On street tyres it should be fine.
                      We have been using the G240 for 3 years, do not know how many miles we drove with it. If it ever breaks down, we'll have to build something that's an upgrade. As long as you go NA and drive smart, the G240 will work well with the M30 engine. :)

3.64 gearing with the G240 is the perfect match for the M30.

Comment

are you in the USA? what brand dyno is that?
                        It's a Dynomet, you can read more about it here:
                        Powertest, dynamometer, effektmåling, roller set, rolling road, hestekraft, horsepower, nm, motorcycle, car, performance, garage equipment, Dynomet

Comment

It's a Dynomet, you can read more about it here:
                          http://dynomet.dk/en_rollersetdynoforcars.htm
                          looks like its one of those that works out equivalent flywheel numbers rather than raw "wheel" numbers

Comment

We have been using the G240 for 3 years, do not know how many miles we drove with it. If it ever breaks down, we'll have to build something that's an upgrade. As long as you go NA and drive smart, the G240 will work well with the M30 engine. :)

3.64 gearing with the G240 is the perfect match for the M30.
                            Cool - yes, that's what I've always said to the doubters over the years. If you drive with some mechanical sympathy, the G240 works well with the M30 - mine's now run for more than 8 years. The most fun diff in my swap was a 3.73, the 3.64 would be similar. The G240 has slightly longer gears for first, second and third than the G260, so the shorter diffs work fine. I currently run a 3.25 LSD, which is also good, but less fun than the 3.73 - more like a factory one would have been.

Comment

looks like its one of those that works out equivalent flywheel numbers rather than raw "wheel" numbers
                              It feels like you do not think the effect figures are reasonable because you question them?

If we count whp, we had 246.1 whp / 311.2 wnm.

We had an intake temperature of 55 degrees Celsius at the end of the day on the dyno, so we feel very happy with the result.

The reason for our figures is due to four main factors:

* Our design on camshaft, which gives 5.5mm more lift than the original and 2.5mm lift than other camshafts on the market
                              * A very good engine management
                              * Good harmony on the parts chosen for this setup, this is the reason why we have a good power band
                              * A broad knowledge of the person who did all the tuning on the dyno

Our goal was to get a wide register with a lot of driveability, which the engine currently has.

Comment

Working...
                              X