Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakeb
    replied
    thanks guys... As Brad said I don't personally have a turboed m42 car right now. Soon my 2002 with an m42 will be turboed but right now it is NA.

There also isn't a dyno within 90miles of me. My buddy with the e21 has talked about having his car dynoed but it isn't high on his list.

Leave a comment:

• bmwm42
    replied
    Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
    With all due respect, I do not think the Vlad comment is appropriate. Jake is not mis-representing anything. His kit came to me exactly as advertised and the service was more than I expected. From our conversations, he does not have a turbo M42 and in reviewing his documentation of the mock-up it was completed on a donor car.

If there is a serious demand for dyno results maybe we could split the cost between 10 of us. I would be willing to bring my car to a shop. Personally, I am not interested in the results so I wont be doing this on my own. I do need to put a new clutch in first and the salt is down so it would have to be in the spring.
    Agreed referencing Jake to such a scumbag like vlad is extremely insulting.......there isn't really a need for a dyno imho every ones car is different and your results will vary......asking for dyno numbers etc is comparable to window shopping......you aren't going to buy.....your just curious as to the possible potential of what your m42 is capable of......just my

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    With all due respect, I do not think the Vlad comment is appropriate. Jake is not mis-representing anything. His kit came to me exactly as advertised and the service was more than I expected. From our conversations, he does not have a turbo M42 and in reviewing his documentation of the mock-up it was completed on a donor car.

If there is a serious demand for dyno results maybe we could split the cost between 10 of us. I would be willing to bring my car to a shop. Personally, I am not interested in the results so I wont be doing this on my own. I do need to put a new clutch in first and the salt is down so it would have to be in the spring.

Leave a comment:

• Brilliantrot 318is
    replied
    Jake, I feel that I'm not the only one when I tell you this, m42 owners would be more comfortable in spending $1700 with knowing the power results of the kit. I've waiting for the dyno for too long. I know your a busy guy, with your other project (which I love :up: ) but for crying out loud make some time to dyno. at the end of the day its gonna prove you product is worth the money and make you money.. right?

don't be a vlad.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Yeah, and I'm not going to have time to figure piping out before you are ready to ship so lets just keep it as is. After I get into it I may just buy another intercooler and see if I can sell the one you provide online, or keep it for a later project since I have another kit that only lacks the intercooler.

Leave a comment:

• jakeb
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeW View Post
    Jake,

What would you think about a smaller intercooler mounted lower similar to the one in this thread:

I don't imagine it would impact the tune too much and could save the fan/valance. The current design seems to block 40% of the intercooler surface area anyway, so going with a more narrow unit will probably work just as well. It won't benefit from the fan cooling but not sure that matters.

We could adjust my price for the kit to remove the intercooler and I could purchase one separately to avoid hassles on your end. The big question is whether it would make too much work for you to retune.
    I could do something like that but the piping would be completely different....you would have to figure that out on your own. I don't think the tune would need to be changed.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    Glad to help. Let me know if you would like additional shots of something.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    No way to fit the intercooler without cutting it. It's not a big deal. Almost all of the cutting is done behind the bumper. You would never know once it's all back together.
    Thanks and your pictures have been tremendously helpful!

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Jake,

What would you think about a smaller intercooler mounted lower similar to the one in this thread:

I don't imagine it would impact the tune too much and could save the fan/valance. The current design seems to block 40% of the intercooler surface area anyway, so going with a more narrow unit will probably work just as well. It won't benefit from the fan cooling but not sure that matters.

We could adjust my price for the kit to remove the intercooler and I could purchase one separately to avoid hassles on your end. The big question is whether it would make too much work for you to retune.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    No way to fit the intercooler without cutting it. It's not a big deal. Almost all of the cutting is done behind the bumper. You would never know once it's all back together.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Thanks for the info, Jake is working on my kit for December Delivery!

I didn't realize valance hd to be cut, do you think its essential?

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    You bet. 173k

Leave a comment:

• eur04lif3
    replied
    One other thing worth mentioning. My clutch is slipping a little in 3rd...JB flywheel, stock clutch, stock transmission.

Thanks for the update.
    How many miles do you have on your motor?

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    One other thing worth mentioning. My clutch is slipping a little in 3rd...JB flywheel, stock clutch, stock transmission.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    Kit installed

So everything is all set on my install with the exception of the exhaust. Jake did a great job with support along the way. He is very fast with returning emails.

The car runs really nice. It idles good and starts up as normal. Its quick. The boost kicks in early and is very linear. I am able to run it on 14" tires since the power band kicks in when it is already rolling. As far as HP I am not going to spend the money to put it on a dyno. I really dont care about the numbers. It feels good and thats good enough for me. I have a 1991 M3 and there is no doubt this car is faster around town. I havent spent any hwy time with it yet so i cant comment there.

As for the install. Its fairly straight forward. The kit is complete but i would have a new set of exhaust manifold gaskets, studs, and nuts on hand. 11 of my studs came out removing the old header. Luckily everything came out easily. The old nuts still had their shape. I reused my intake manifold gaskets. They seemed fine. I reccommend going with simons guide for removing the mess under the intake while you are in there. It cleans things up quite a bit and will eliminate any vacuum leaks.

I also ordered a 2.75 45 degree bend and a silicone coupler that wasnt provided with the kit. This is used on the AFM end. It allows a good bit of adjustment as the 2.5" pipes slide nicely inside of the 2.75". You can position your AFM. I found things fit nicer going under the top radiator pipe. There is no mount provided for the AFM but the way i have it, it doesnt move much. I may make a bracket. It is also possible to retain your stock coil setup as I have. I do need to make a bracket there.

The fan shroud has to go. I tried running the mechanical fan but it wasnt providing any cooling. I decided to go the volvo fan route. It seems to move enough air to cool both my condenser and radiator. With the e36 switch it kicks on when the car is just below half way. That is a very easy plug and play using the end plug from your removed condenser fan.

The part i had the hardest time with was cutting my valance to fit the intercooler. I tried to take a lot of pictures of this. It is very solid when you bolt it back up. Get your self a cutting wheel and sawzall. It takes some time and feels weird cutting into that much metal but it should all work out. The most time consuming part of the kit for me was drilling out one of the bumper bolts. That was a nightmare. I hope no one has to deal with it. I did a little write up on how I accomplished the bumper removal if you find yourself in the same situation.

See the attached photos and let me know if you have any questions. Be happy to help.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X