No announcement yet.

Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This topic is fantastic. After blowing very soon my used unlucky M50B25 that I putted insted of my M40B16 I came for the M42B18 with doubt if turboing it cheap and low boost was a bad or good idea, but I see now that it's a very very good idea.

Anyone thinked about using a stock TD04 turbo from a Subaru? How it should go? Maybe it could be a cheap and good otpion.

Also, the block is very shot, is this a good option for radiator and intercooler? Maybe less cutting and less invasive...

What do you think?

p.s. yesterday I was to look for a M42b18, did the compression test and so bought it, but the guy had another one blown up, so I bought two m42 hell yeah, very happy now :D Never had so much parts like in a scrapyard yeee :D

Comment

TD04 will work, but will not bolt up to the kit Jake is profucing. A TD05 is probably a better option if they are readily available in your area.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I really didn't understood what turbo is used in this kit, but I also would like to build the kit by myself, because already have half of the things (Microsquirt, injectors, hoses etc).

Need the turbo, would like something that spools fast and soon, but don't die soon too, so don't know what's the better choice considering that I can't spend 1000 usd for a new nice turbo.

Also, what about oil cooling? There are no probles to run the system with no oil cooler? The temperatures doesn't get crazy when driving even slow but for long trips?

Comment

Someone with a genuine M42 e30 can give me the distance from top of dipstick to maximum level please? Like in picture.

Thanks in advance!
          Attached Files

Comment

14 1/4 inches

Comment

Thank you very much! I was running low on oil, maybe your help will be good for saving my engine :)

Comment

Subscribed.

Still making these? I have questions that I dont think I saw answered (48 pages is a lot to remember).

1. Anything need to be cut? Valence, headlight brackets, etc.. Anything "permanent", if you will...
                2. I saw a note on 80/88C temp switch, anyone have experience with a 91? I ask because the stock thermostat is 88C and whats the point of cooling what isnt flowing..
                3. By "tune" are we talking about a chip and thats it?

Comment

1. Not sure about the kit, it's certainly possible to do it without cutting anything but concessions must be made.
                  2. 88C at the thermostat is way different than 88C at the radiator opposite the thermostat. Just go with the lower temperature switch.
                  3. It can be done with a chip/custom tune and stock engine management but standalone aftermarket EMS is the superior solution.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Wow I just realized my interest in this goes all the way back to 2012 :o. Jake you will be receiving an email from me after the holidays to hopefully get the ball rolling on a kit. :up:

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      1. Not sure about the kit, it's certainly possible to do it without cutting anything but concessions must be made.
                      2. 88C at the thermostat is way different than 88C at the radiator opposite the thermostat. Just go with the lower temperature switch.
                      3. It can be done with a chip/custom tune and stock engine management but standalone aftermarket EMS is the superior solution.
                      1. Anybody know specifically with the kit? I thought I saw trimming the valence and the headlight bracket, do I even have a chance at this not happening?

Comment

I ask too many questions:
                        For this build is it sensible to pair this with the RHD/lambertius ITB kit, or is the money for the ITB kit better spent on augmenting this turbo setup (stronger studs, more boost, new tune..)?
                        The ITB kit looks like it could package nicely now that the AFM assembly is moved out of the way, with minimal charge piping changes..

With the turbo kit offering a tune in the form of a chip (or so it seems from the images), and the ITB kit allegedly working with stock ECU, might I still be good with the turbo tune or am I stretching the capabilities of the stock ECU?

Might be one of those combos that just have to be put on and see what happens..

m42club ITB kit thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                          Wow I just realized my interest in this goes all the way back to 2012 :o. Jake you will be receiving an email from me after the holidays to hopefully get the ball rolling on a kit. :up:
                          I'm right there with you man. Trying to get mine ready for next year too. Been looking at it for a few years
                          DENY IGNORANCE!
                          Schwarz 325-totaled
                          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                          don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Originally posted by slowmoe30 View Post
                            I ask too many questions:
                            For this build is it sensible to pair this with the RHD/lambertius ITB kit, or is the money for the ITB kit better spent on augmenting this turbo setup (stronger studs, more boost, new tune..)?
                            The ITB kit looks like it could package nicely now that the AFM assembly is moved out of the way, with minimal charge piping changes..

With the turbo kit offering a tune in the form of a chip (or so it seems from the images), and the ITB kit allegedly working with stock ECU, might I still be good with the turbo tune or am I stretching the capabilities of the stock ECU?

Might be one of those combos that just have to be put on and see what happens..

m42club ITB kit thread:
                            http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.p...&topic=18442.0
                            The RHD ITB kit is awesome, but I think in this case your money would be better spent on the turbo system. Either a better turbo or a standalone ECU would allow you to get a lot more improvement for the money.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Makes sense.

After reading and reading all I can think of is "why would anyone NOT do this"
                              Now I'm looking at springtime for this if I can get over cutting the headlight bracket and valence..

I feel bad that I barely put any miles on the MarkD chip

Also in case anyone caught on something idiotic I said..
                              Upgraded (Head) bolts, not studs.

Comment

The ITBs will hold small boost but need work to cope with more psi.
                                I would not recommend it
                                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X