Twin Ear Diff options

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • digger
    R3V OG
    • Nov 2005
    • 6178

    #1

    Twin Ear Diff options

    Is there a proven integrated twin ear factory cast diff cover (or billet aftermarket) for a 325i 188 diff ?

    or do i need to use one of those separate bolt on billet pieces? if so which is the goto brand?

    Can people share their experiences with attaching the mounting brackets to the body and any traps to be aware of?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

    new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

  • TobyB
    R3V Elite
    • Oct 2011
    • 5286

    #2
    The E36 168 cover bolts onto directly onto an E30 168- is the same true for the 188?

    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

    Comment

    • digger
      R3V OG
      • Nov 2005
      • 6178

      #3
      Originally posted by TobyB
      The E36 168 cover bolts onto directly onto an E30 168- is the same true for the 188?

      t
      It might, but the LHS ear wont line up with the existing body mount so youd need to add two (2) on the body
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

      new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

      Comment

      • Panici
        Moderator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2543

        #4
        I went with the "Garagistic Secondary Diff Mount".
        I did end up painting parts of it black, but besides that no complaints.
        Install was straightforward.





        Comment

        • Northern
          I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
          • Nov 2010
          • 5275

          #5
          I have the same in a box somewhere with a set of revshift bushings. I've seen a few installed around the forums/online.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

          Comment

          • E30SPDFRK
            Moderator
            • Jul 2007
            • 5714

            #6
            I know the bolt-on second diff mount is a common mod, but it seems so weak. It's 2 single shear bolts twisting against each other with lots of cantilever leverage on them. I wish it picked up off at least 3 diff housing bolts.

            If you're already modifying the car to add a second diff mount on the chassis, why not just use the E36 cover and make 2 new mounts?
            Byron
            Leichtbau

            Comment

            • Panici
              Moderator
              • Dec 2009
              • 2543

              #7
              Originally posted by E30SPDFRK
              I know the bolt-on second diff mount is a common mod, but it seems so weak. It's 2 single shear bolts twisting against each other with lots of cantilever leverage on them. I wish it picked up off at least 3 diff housing bolts.

              If you're already modifying the car to add a second diff mount on the chassis, why not just use the E36 cover and make 2 new mounts?
              It's less then ideal for sure.
              I did it on my car with a bunch of other supporting modifications to tackle wheel hop.

              If I had big, sticky tires, or for drift/drag use, I would probably want something stronger.
              That goes for the differential itself too at that point, perhaps a medium case is not suited to that task.


              I would also argue that drilling four holes in the chassis is less invasive then making new mounts.

              Comment

              • digger
                R3V OG
                • Nov 2005
                • 6178

                #8
                Originally posted by E30SPDFRK
                I know the bolt-on second diff mount is a common mod, but it seems so weak. It's 2 single shear bolts twisting against each other with lots of cantilever leverage on them. I wish it picked up off at least 3 diff housing bolts.

                If you're already modifying the car to add a second diff mount on the chassis, why not just use the E36 cover and make 2 new mounts?
                2 bolts is significantly better than the 1 that works somewhat reasonably so should be enough mitigation and doesnt require hot works

                if the single bracket was cracked then doing some hot works would be needed and the e36 bracket is the more logical option at that point IMO
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

                new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

                Comment

                • Northern
                  I like cupcakes & sh!tboxes
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 5275

                  #9
                  I've seen that cross-beam in the trunk floor rip out, so I would be surprised if the two bolts become an issue before the structure dies.

                  For the E36 cover you more or less need to move that whole trunk floor beam back for it to be in remotely the right place, no? A little more involved than drilling a few holes.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

                  Comment

                  Working...