• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke diff. mount.

e30s suck and are weak.

E30 diff mounts suck by jet jones, on Flickr
    Weak e30 mount by jet jones, on Flickr
    Last edited by LowR3V'in; 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM.

You can retrofit an e36 setup with 2.

2002= 2 mounts

anemic E21 = 1 mount

E30 = 1 mount, breaks off, therefore,

E36 = 2 mounts, works great, therefore

E46, whole subframe breaks off, because, if you have something that works great,
    why not improve it?

hee

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Drifting?

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

in a way. but na, just street driving.

Comment

Mine cracked there as well. I was able to get in there with a wire wheel to clean it up, and mig weld it back together, without removing anything. It's held up for a few months so far behind an m60. My plan this winter is to drop the diff and weld a long piece of steel angle on both sides of that beam, and probably do the Garagistic 2nd diff mount.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

this would be optimal

Comment

Agreed! I considered that as well, but it's more of a project than I want to dive into at the moment. Sure looks solid though.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

The crack is mostly due to worn rear subframe bushings combine with hard driving and body rolling too much. 2 mount designs, poly bushing, or solid bushings will make it even worst as the rotating torque has to go somewhere. In some cases that is where the diff mount bolts start to tear off.
                sigpic
                327is
                325es
                325es
                318is
                Fiesta ST
                E46 M3

Comment

whut?

We break them not uncommonly in racecars with solid subframe bushings...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

e36 M cars were tearing their diffs off the mounts as well. We were welding re-inforcement plates to the floor then bolting the diff back to it. it was caused by too much dumping of the clutch and hard shifting.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      We break them not uncommonly in racecars with solid subframe bushings
                      Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                      poly bushing, or solid bushings will make it even worst as the rotating torque has to go somewhere.
                      Quoted "dsphil" for total truth, but a new pair of poly bushings is better than a pair of completely roached, 350k mile, original subframe bushings. I'm pretty hard on my red shop rat, but luckily, I rebuilt the whole rear end, before the differential body mount failed.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Attack with wire wheel to remove all the paint and goop, weld it back together, inspect and replace bushes. Get back on the road and forget about it.

Comment

I wonder how much worn subframe bushings play into this.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

i just welded the face of it because my car was catching on fire too much.
                            The diff mount broke again on a 2nd gear pull. What are men to do..

To do it right the the diff needs to come out so f it, it's staying hanging like that.

Comment

you think this would fix it or na?

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Comment

Working...
                              X