Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: 325ix - stock BBS wheels or "vintage" 949 racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: 325ix - stock BBS wheels or "vintage" 949 racing?

Getting new "normal" tires. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put them on the 949s - they have worn out R888s, and at this point, if I want to do a track day or something I'll put something cheap on the stock ix wheels, which currently have snow tires. And I haven't done a track day in like 10 years.. :(

Sadly, the molds for the 949 wheels are destroyed, you can't get new ones. And these are the first casting, I don't think they've been sold in quite some time.

PS ignore the goofy kid, that's my oldest :p
    Attached Files
    Stock ix BBS - Because everything should be stock!
    80.95%
    949 Racing - These are now old enough to be "vintage", lol.
    19.05%
    14" E30 Bottlecaps, because you like ugly wheels.
    0%
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

The 6ULs are so good! I forgot how low your car is.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

yeah, I actually raised it up 1/4", lol. not that you can really tell. it's at least 3" lower than stock. Another reason I really couldn't stomach going with undersized tires (205/50 or 225/45), I clear speed bumps fine now but 1/2" lower is going to scrape on everything.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Steelies, because a car sold at or above M3 prices should have pleb wheels.

Comment

Hah! I used to have 1 ix steelie, it was the spare tire from my parts car. It even had the original spare from 1988 - stamped with "W. Germany".

Those things are heavy as hell, aside from being ugly (especially with the original hub caps).. that's a hard no. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If such a thing existed for ix steelies, a "Euro" wheel cover on 14" steelies actually looks pretty decent, and pretty much bridges the gap between Bcaps and Bweaves.

Edit:

Slam a Euro cover on it and roll in cheap style on our excellent roads since the ix steelie is also a 14.

Comment

They exist - still pretty ugly! maybe for winter wheels they'd be ok, the problem with the ix wheels actually is they get packed with snow, get out of balance, and then, you know.. whomp whomp whomp whomp!

The problem is I have a really hard time wanting to drive the ix in the winter, as fun as it is, because Washington state started salting the fuck out of their roads a few years ago. We get like 1" of snow a year, but it doesn't matter - slightest chance of snow, they salt everywhere. then it rains instead and gives you a nice salt bath. I miss the days when they just let all the morons slide into the ditch instead, but maybe that wasn't working out too well..

I forgot to mention - pretty sure one of my stock ix wheels I have is bent. It's not visually obvious, and they balance just fine, but they shake like a mofo at 60mph+. It's not very comfortable (but they're great at 50). Does that affect anything? I did literally find them laying in basically a pile of junk. :p
              Attached Files
              Last edited by nando; 06-21-2021, 09:57 PM.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I can give you two choices for fixing your vibration because of bent wheels:

1.) Take the steel wheels that my new Touring is being delivered with. I don't want them.
                2.) Talk to your local wheel place about straightening your wheels. There is a place here (Indianapolis) that will straighten a wheel for $85. It's well worth it.

Comment

I liked the 949 6UL with the R888s, so I was going to vote iX weaves until you mentioned not doing track days.
                  Seems like a waste to not use the 6UL.

+1 for straightening the bent weave, I have some euroweaves that need that treatment as well.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

+ 2 for straightening the weaves. I have to get my Alpina reps done too.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      I liked the 949 6UL with the R888s, so I was going to vote iX weaves until you mentioned not doing track days.
                      Seems like a waste to not use the 6UL.

+1 for straightening the bent weave, I have some euroweaves that need that treatment as well.
                      Never say never, I just don't have plans for it anytime soon. The R888s aren't *completely* trashed, but they're pretty loud on the street and the ride isn't very good, it's just not where I'm at right now. I definitely don't want to drive 3+ hours to the E30 picnic on them, lol.

Originally posted by twright View Post
                      I can give you two choices for fixing your vibration because of bent wheels:

1.) Take the steel wheels that my new Touring is being delivered with. I don't want them.
                      2.) Talk to your local wheel place about straightening your wheels. There is a place here (Indianapolis) that will straighten a wheel for $85. It's well worth it.
                      I saw the touring - looks awesome (how the heck did you find another so fast?), but man those wheels really kill the appearance! "local wheel shop" hahah, yeah, I wish.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm no fan of weaves, being a gigantic pain to keep clean and all, but the other wheels seem a little out of place on the car. Too much negative space against the slab-sides of the skirted E30.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Sorry to disappoint my legions of fans / BBS weave aficionados

But I put the new tires on the 949 6ULs - I had another look at the R888s on there, and they were pretty smoked. I could probably have done an autox or two on them, but definitely no street driving. Also, I'm making new centercaps since I broke one of the originals (and you can't get new ones), hopefully the stickers show up by tomorrow.

The Kumho Escta PS31 205/55R15 tires I got are pretty squishy. the Tirerack video review nailed the feeling - definitely "rubbery" steering feel, but it's sort of similar to snow tires, just with a lot more grip. Anyway, I've got no plans to race on them - honestly, it would be fun to get some Hooser A7s for the stock ix weaves, or maybe some RT615s if I just want a fun summer wheel. The PS31s are comfortable and quiet and suit what I use the E30 for most of the time (just cruising around basically). And they at least look kinda cool. :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i think the car looks sharp (and best) on the stock wheels, FWIW.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

tl/dr sell me your ix weaves <3

Build Threads:
                              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                              X