Any more electric e30 conversions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
    Here is an e30 conversion underway using Nissan Leaf batteries. These are cheap and easy because they're aircooled:
    https://openinverter.org/forum/viewt...hp?f=11&t=1828

aren't most leaf batteries early gen ? once they lose charging capacity it doesn't come back and the packs need outright replacement with better batteries.
    it's a bit like an engine swap to a known crappy motor.

Comment

I can't remember who it is off the top of my head, but there's also a long time forum member here who has a Tesla swapped E30 (model-S I believe).

by far, the most expensive part is the batteries. And in any case, it doesn't matter what kind of project it is - if you're paying a shop to do it, it's going to be expensive.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Just buy an i3, it’s basically an EV E30
        I honestly hate the i3, looks both tacky and pretentious. My parents might be in the market for a new car and were saying they'd want an electric or a hybrid. I saw BMW has the 330e, got me thinking how poetic it would be to convert an old 325e to electric. I'm done with e30s but that's one last project I'd consider, and finding a 325e sedan with a blown driveline is probably the cheapest entry point. I wouldn't even know where to begin but maximizing range would be my top priority, mounting the drive unit in the rear and finding a way to put batteries in the trans tunnel and gas tank area to avoid filling up the trunk too much. The skills and knowledge needed are way beyond me but it's still fun to think about.

Edit: finally watched the 300mm.de videos and wow, he's doing it pretty much exactly the way i would. Very cool channel.
        Last edited by E30 Wagen; 11-23-2021, 06:04 AM.
        My Feedback

Comment

...Nissan Leaf batteries. These are cheap and easy because they're aircooled
          Being aircooled is why Leaf batteries have high failure rates in warmer climates. Here in Hawaii a lot of them are replaced under warranty due to excessive capacity loss.

Comment

Common guys, I want to hear the engine roars or whines or clacks.

Comment

Just found this topic when googling.
              I am building an electric E30 as well. Integrated a large Tesla driveunit and a (large part of a) Jaquar iPace battery which would give the car some decent range with 80-85 kWh.

For those who are curious, have a look at:
              846 Followers, 413 Following, 67 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Joost Vossen đŸ‡³đŸ‡± (@teslified_e30)
              Last edited by FJ3; 02-19-2022, 02:54 AM.

Comment

When battery technology improves in terms of weight and space, which I believe will happen, there will be thousands of EV e30s, my touring included.

Comment

Dude... that's a pretty dead-on comment. I really like the i3 and it's quick as heck off the line. They are so affordable... 10-15k and they are cool looking.
                  What the hell are you smoking? i3 is the ugliest car known to man kind, beside the Aztek.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post

What the hell are you smoking? i3 is the ugliest car known to man kind, beside the Aztek.
                    Its a clean sheet design for a city car. Interior space of a 3-series with the footprint of a 1-series (at the time of design). I enjoy it and last week took it up to Angeles Crest. The 911 C4S that was in front of me was quite impressed with my pace. And no, I didnt run out of charge.

Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've thought of an i3 off an on. Might actually make a good replacement for my 330i someday. but, by the time the 330i finally dies, the i3 will be 30 years old, lol.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Good car or not, like the i8 and most modern city cars it's just unpleasant to look at for most of us. At least the ever-boxy kei cars have the charm of simple styling. If BMW had kept a flat beltline, ditched the sunken in grille and headlights and not done that weird 2-tone prolapse rear bumper they also gave the i8 it would be passable as a cute city car.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Its weird, misunderstood and didnt sell well at launch.

Just like every other future classic.

Buy one now!
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'll never understand the need to make a E30, or any car that originally had a ICE, electric. Just buy a EV. Electric has no soul.
                            I will admit that electric are kind of cool in some ways, but for me they are not there yet. When they make them start to fly I'll get behind it. Until then If you want range buy/swap in a diesel.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Good car or not, like the i8 and most modern city cars it's just unpleasant to look at for most of us. At least the ever-boxy kei cars have the charm of simple styling. If BMW had kept a flat beltline, ditched the sunken in grille and headlights and not done that weird 2-tone prolapse rear bumper they also gave the i8 it would be passable as a cute city car.
                              I get that the i3 was ugly - but the i8? I always thought it looked awesome. Funny enough, I've seen far more i8's in the wild than i3s. The only time I ever really saw a bunch of i3s was at the BMW dealer getting a recall performed.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
                                I'll never understand the need to make a E30, or any car that originally had a ICE, electric. Just buy a EV. Electric has no soul.
                                I will admit that electric are kind of cool in some ways, but for me they are not there yet. When they make them start to fly I'll get behind it. Until then If you want range buy/swap in a diesel.

Just like any other powertrain, swaps can just be cool. No ones saying you have to replace your ICE e30 with an EVe30 but if you added an EV to the stable as a toy (not a commuter) why not make it a chassis you enjoy?
                                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                                Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Working...
                                X