What Makes Your E30 Unique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panici View Post

I have definitely never seen a dealer option sub package on an E30. Is there a corresponding amplifier tucked in the trunk somewhere?
    I've never poked around in the trunk, but I'm assuming they tapped into the stock amp. At some point a PO bypassed everything and installed an aftermarket stereo. I recently upgraded the speakers and amp with Infinity components. Sounds great and hits pretty hard.
    90 Bronzit 325is
    16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I saw the LX-Bs in your build thread. Are they a little wider then the stock sport seats?
      You can definitely tell the sport seats are Recaro inspired.

Love the towing as well, E30 putting in work!
      Thanks - The Recaros are slightly wider than the sport seats in the base, but slightly narrower in the back where the bolsters are. They rub on the console if you put them all the way forward.

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Nothing as impressive as the stuff above, I built this car on a shoestring budget. I use 3 of the most powerful computer fans I could find as condenser fans because it's impossible to put a condenser fan when a 3" thick intercooler is occupying the space it would take up. I've never seen someone else do that, then I saw Papadakis use a PC fan on steroids to cool the alternator on a race car earlier this year. Other than that there's nothing unique about my E30 other than the specific combination of parts it is. Not even the fact that it's running on an ECU I built (there are probably at least 7 cars running around with that). It's a shitbox, but it's my shitbox, and it's pretty fast.
      I’ve always loved your shoe string build Varg! My M30 swap initially cost me under $2k (with the engine and transmission costing me $350! - I wish parts were still that cheap).
      Last edited by lukeADE335i; 06-03-2022, 07:12 PM.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Nothing as impressive as the stuff above, I built this car on a shoestring budget.

I use 3 of the most powerful computer fans I could find as condenser fans because it's impossible to put a condenser fan when a 3" thick intercooler is occupying the space it would take up. I've never seen someone else do that, then I saw Papadakis use a PC fan on steroids to cool the alternator on a race car earlier this year. Other than that there's nothing unique about my E30 other than the specific combination of parts it is. Not even the fact that it's running on an ECU I built (there are probably at least 7 cars running around with that). It's a shitbox, but it's my shitbox, and it's pretty fast.
        Varg I like your car/ build too, anything one off or low production is unique. I never though about the enjoyment of looking at cars as a cost thing, but always enjoyed the ingenuity,uniqueness, and insanity.., kinda like the realm of problem solving in ways people take, especially if it ignores current trends. .

I hope more people chime in :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Thought of another one on my E30.
          Chase Bays washer fluid reservoir tucked in the A/C Dryer location.

Comment

While not as impressive as a lot of the other builds here, mine is unique for a few reasons. Mainly, style 3s, m54b30, and still retaining a series 1 valence (at least unusual here in the US)

Untitled by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

IMG_2544 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr
            IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Aren't you just describing an E30 M3?

Beauty plate is interesting, gives it a more modern feel. You can't see any components in a late model engine bay.

Zero issues. Nothing gets hot or anything.

I saw the LX-Bs in your build thread. Are they a little wider then the stock sport seats?
              You can definitely tell the sport seats are Recaro inspired.

Love the towing as well, E30 putting in work!

I have definitely never seen a dealer option sub package on an E30. Is there a corresponding amplifier tucked in the trunk somewhere?

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

I am not sure how "unique" it makes it, but most people seem to ignore the m20b23, don't believe you got them in the states. Its in the 323i. It has L-jetronic which is reliable but fairly basic. Most people transplant the m20b25 and swap over to motronic. I run my m20b23 on megasquirt by making a whole new engine loom with 6 x LS1 coils, wideband 02 feedback, variable TPS etc. significant improvement to how smooth it runs and has certainly modernised the engine, but it has taken me a long time to dial the tune in perfectly. But its all good learning.

I also have FD rx7 front seats - don't see them utilised very often.

Comment

Man this Thread has turned out to be great. A lot cool stuff. I love the obsession everyone ( including me ) has toward this little 3 series.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
                    Man this Thread has turned out to be great. A lot cool stuff. I love the obsession everyone ( including me ) has toward this little 3 series.
                    Agreed! Love seeing unique touches.
                    Goes to show you can still innovate on a 30+ year old chassis.

Comment

Mine is pretty unique to start with. It's a 318i Touring, slicktop with factory AC. Lots of plans, and hoping this will be my keep forever E30. I want it capable, comfortable, and a swiss army knife of all things.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

Heated and cooled seats

Teach me.

I don't know how I missed this previously, your e30 is crazy custom and I love it - all of the touches you've done.

But cooling seats is something I must have, I've experienced it quite a bit, and it's the reason I let a Lexus dealer do my oil changes.Lexus complimentary loaners are fun. But man. I need this living in Phoenix.

I've been considering Recaros to replace the comfort seats instead of sports, because let's be honest - sports are selling for too much. I like pole positions but want something probably more comfortable for my lady and I and longer drives. I've been eyeing multiple styles off their touring/ortho/reclining lines.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Mine has an m20 in it

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          Mine has an m20 in it

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	10058542

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Mine has an m20 in it

Mind blown!

Comment

My car has been salvaged 5 separate times on the title, and the drivers quarter panel shakes vehemently when the door is closed. #hoopty
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

What makes your E30 unique?
                                Mine still has an Eta motor and an automatic transmission
                                1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                                1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Working...
                                X