Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does my flywheel need to be replaced or resurfaced ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my flywheel need to be replaced or resurfaced ?

I recently installed a spec stage 3 clutch kit along with a jbr aluminum flywheel , everything ran fine for about 200 or so miles until I was started having trouble getting into gear , there was a lot of resistance and eventually it didn’t get into gear at all , I thought it was going to be my throw out bearing but when I dropped my transmission the other day this is what I found , the slave cylinder was broken along with the pressure plate ( springs unpacked ) but my throw out bearing was still intact , I have warranty on my clutch so I’m sending it back but here’s my next concern , does my flywheel also need anything done or is it still good ?

You could probably keep running it it, but now that it's apart, you should probably refresh it. That thing looks like it got pretty hot
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Taking a transmission off is a pain in the ass. Any time I'm in there I replace what might need it. That looks like it's resurfaceable, but if not it's a replaceable steel plate so I'd do it.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Call JB first and ask. I just sent that same flywheel in to JB to be refreshed because it was out of the car, like yours, and they refused to put a new plate on it and shipped it back.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          Call JB first and ask. I just sent that same flywheel in to JB to be refreshed because it was out of the car, like yours, and they refused to put a new plate on it and shipped it back.
          Why'd they refuse?
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Why'd they refuse?
            They said it was fine. I was like that’s cool, but slap a new plate on while it’s there please! They said no. Shipped it back. Sweet lol

Comment

Why'd they refuse?
              My JB Racing flywheel had 2 teeth that broke. I asked them if I can buy a replacement ring or if they can replace the toothed ring. They also said no. Last time I order from them.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Huh, so the consensus is to not use them? Why did you guys go with their light flywheel instead of turning a stock one?

I've just got an lightened regular flywheel, which I've been happy with. I think I'm around 8 lbs?
                sigpic

Comment

Huh, so the consensus is to not use them? Why did you guys go with their light flywheel instead of turning a stock one?

I've just got an lightened regular flywheel, which I've been happy with. I think I'm around 8 lbs?
                  I liked the idea of the replaceable hardened plate on the JB, but that isn't much good if you can't pay to replace it. On Linda I used the RHD chromoly flywheel which was great, and on Hoopty I used a lightened stock flywheel which has also been great. The light factory early 528e e28 flywheels are also a solid option if you can find one.

I wouldn't use JB again due to the aforementioned. I would use RHD again. I think a lightened stock flywheel is best, though, if you have access to a machine shop familiar with lightening/balancing them.

Comment

I replaced the JBR with a RHD Chromoly flywheel. I've been happy with it.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

I'd probably resurface it in the hopes of not pulling the gearbox again for a while.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I've had good luck with RHD. Used the same flywheel with a couple different transmission and clutch combos.
                        Always get great email communication with Rama, even years after buying the flywheel.

Not to mention the 7.5lb flywheel is light as heck and makes the engine happy to rev!

Comment

Working...
                        X