84' m20 or 91m42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84' m20 or 91m42

Hey guys Im not new here use to be on here year ago but forgot my login but here under newbie. Anyways this will be my 3rd e30 Iam trying to decided on with a 84 coupe' m20 sterling for $600 currently not running, owner says its crank sensor or a 1991 318 m42, its running both standard the 91 no leather and waiting bonded title he is asking 1100 cash. Im looking to restore to its original life and use as a weekend drive as i drive a 07 328i now daily.

Pics below should i save the extra $500 and get the m20 or its worth buying the running m42 which still needs some exterior work and paint and some engine repairs.

M20

M42

91 318is "under construction"
    2007 328i - daily
    sigpic

It's always advisable to buy the car that's in better condition. That way when you do repairs you'll have less to do/spend.

If you do get the M42 be sure you can live with Corolla levels of power first. IMO the M42 is the better engine stock, but the M20 has more potential for modification.

Comment

Get the 318. M42 ftw.. you won't have to deal with adjusting valves, or changing out timing belts with the M42;-). Also has coil on plug ignition vs. The distributor, rotor combo on the M20. Better gas mileage. I mean what's not to like about the M42

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        Get the 318. M42 ftw.. you won't have to deal with adjusting valves, or changing out timing belts with the M42;-). Also has coil on plug ignition vs. The distributor, rotor combo on the M20. Better gas mileage. I mean what's not to like about the M42
        COP is not stock but is pretty easy to do. Stock, the coils are located on the passenger side fender well and coil wires run over to the plugs.

To the OP: Did you look at the 318i or just take pics as you drove by? If you haven't actually looked at both cars, you need to do that.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

I would get the newer car, swap later if desired. Finding a good engine is easier than finding a good shell. I love M20s, but early Motronic in particular is a bitch to deal with.

Originally posted by fresh_TD
          you won't have to deal with adjusting valves, or changing out timing belts
          true, but these are both very easy tasks

1986 327i
          transaction feedback
          DIY thing
          meh

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
            COP is not stock but is pretty easy to do. Stock, the coils are located on the passenger side fender well and coil wires run over to the plugs.

To the OP: Did you look at the 318i or just take pics as you drove by? If you haven't actually looked at both cars, you need to do that.
            I meant coil and plug, not coil on plug[emoji1] my bad.. I have a 318is ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by modernist View Post
              I would get the newer car, swap later if desired. Finding a good engine is easier than finding a good shell. I love M20s, but early Motronic in particular is a bitch to deal with.

true, but these are both very easy tasks
              Sure they are easy, but its easier when you don't have to perform them at all

Comment

The '84 m20 is going to be a 325e, which has 127hp. Less than an m42, which has 138hp.

I wouldn't get an e30 before 86 imo.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  The '84 m20 is going to be a 325e, which has 127hp. Less than an m42, which has 138hp.

I wouldn't get an e30 before 86 imo.
                  but the torques man... the torques..
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I absolutely loved my 87 325es. Favorite e30 by far. Not dissing the m20b27, just stating some facts about the power because of the second comment.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

M42. It's a better color.
                      t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

In my opinion, a rough-looking car that runs/drives is a lot more fun than a pretty car stuck in your garage. The M42 is a little weak, but it's enough to throw around and have some fun in. Way lighter and more rev-happy than the M20B27.

Comment

M42

But at this price point, condition and risk are more important factors than initial cost.

Comment

Neither. Both of those cars look like they're basket cases, just save up for something decent.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                            the M42 is the better engine stock
                            LMAO

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                            The M42 is poop. Timing belt jobs and valve adjustments are a small price to pay for not having to deal with M42 issues. The only thing a 318is has on a 325is is less weight and better handling. Granted the cars being compared here aren't 325is vs 318is, but see above.

Of the cars in the OP, the 318 is the better starting point for performance mods, but the engine is the weak point.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              Neither. Both of those cars look like they're basket cases, just save up for something decent.

LMAO

The M42 is poop. Timing belt jobs and valve adjustments are a small price to pay for not having to deal with M42 issues. The only thing a 318is has on a 325is is less weight and better handling. Granted the cars being compared here aren't 325is vs 318is, but see above.

Of the cars in the OP, the 318 is the better starting point for performance mods, but the engine is the weak point.
                              Your opinion of course. . I prefer the M42 over the M20 any day of the week, and I own both.

Comment

Working...
                              X