This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    Bring Another Thousand has never been more relevant. The prices on everything just seem to be going up and up and up. It's crazy.
    I'd love to see if someone has collected data on the market prices of collector cars from before and after BAT started, to see if they have a direct effect on the price increases on some of these cars.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
      I'd love to see if someone has collected data on the market prices of collector cars from before and after BAT started, to see if they have a direct effect on the price increases on some of these cars.

My dealer friends have seen similar things happen with the public auction (local towing companies, Copart). When they moved to online bidding, pricing got looney. Now you see totaled Toyota’s going for almost 3/4 KBB value.

That’s where the internet has destroyed a lot of those “good deals” people could find. Everyone looks to the internet to price stuff, and those prices get inflated.

Just this week, saw a not bad looking plastic bumper 325i sedan with 190k miles, 2 owner, comfort beige interior, not listed on CL or OfferUp , but just hand made sign - for 6k. The car had some decent dents in it too. That to me is more than all the money for it. But that’s the world we are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Bring Another Thousand has never been more relevant. The prices on everything just seem to be going up and up and up. It's crazy.
        The "prices" are going up, but I'm genuinely curious, as to how many of these deals actually took place, and the seller actually received their money. I agree, though. This is really getting out of hand.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

What is the policy for BAT resisting cars that don't sell? Will they do it, or do they say "you had your chance, try somewhere else now"

I'm assuming the second part of the above is true, since you don't see many (if any?) resisted auctions on BAT
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
            The "prices" are going up, but I'm genuinely curious, as to how many of these deals actually took place, and the seller actually received their money. I agree, though. This is really getting out of hand.
            Wouldn't you know it, it's completely in the best interest of BAT to not disclose that data. But if they did, my now firmly negative opinion of them might change.

Comment

Why wouldn't the buyer pay up? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a small, 1-3% failure to pay rate, but any more than that? What are they doing bidding then?

And I'm just sour I lost my $10k bid on that Subaru Sambar microbus a few weeks ago. :(

And that LT40 just now.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                What is the policy for BAT resisting cars that don't sell? Will they do it, or do they say "you had your chance, try somewhere else now"

I'm assuming the second part of the above is true, since you don't see many (if any?) resisted auctions on BAT
                Ive seen them resist cars due to a buyer "no-show" and Ive also seen them sell cars again within a short period of time later

Austin was one of the guys who got burned by a bad buyer unfortunately
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I think BAT hurts and helps E30 enthusiast's on one hand you can buy a car cheap that needs work and use BAT as a guide for the value and budget for the restoration. That's what I'm doing with my car. Bought it blown suspension, a trashed tranny but the interior was 9/10 and the car was cheap for a 318is. I'm roughly 5500 in and the suspension is very much OEM+ and it works great. Using BAT as a guide for how much I can spend I know I've got a few more grand to play with before the project becomes to expensive. This is all based on looking at compartvily quality 318is's. However BAT hurts us in increasing the value of E30'S in other markets not just there site, as many people I would assume look at BAT to value there cars and most of the time overvalue them on Craigslist etc. fortunately I've seen a trend in E30 prices going down a bit but I know it'll return.

Maybe I'm just over thinking the market for these cars and I should just keep mine till it dies regardless of "trading up" or making a profit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                  Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                  E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                  "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

We can't have it both ways, people. We either want the values of our cars to go up, or we want to keep finding cheap deals. Gotta pick one...
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      We can't have it both ways, people. We either want the values of our cars to go up, or we want to keep finding cheap deals. Gotta pick one...
                      Amen.

But I'm still not a fan of BAT. But you bet your ass I'll use it for comps in the event of an insurance claim...
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

I’m fine with values going up, but I just don’t like what BAT has turned into.

And no, they won’t relist a car by the same seller unless there is very good reason to do so (buyer bailed or technical site related issues.)

Now say a buyer buys a car but then a few months later decides to sell it, yes, they will list it again. Seen it happen with a few Radical’s I’ve bid on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Now that I have an E30 I want the prices to go up. Before I had one, I wanted them to plummet haha.
                          Steve • Toronto
                          1991 318is • Brillantrot
                          Build Thread

Comment

Cheap deals all day, so I can thrash my E30 without remorse, but as values increase I am less and less likely to absolutely thrash it as it becomes less replaceable.

Higher prices make cars less fun, and at the end of the day they're cars, meant to be driven.

Comment

^ Yep. Not planning on selling the E30, but might have to replace it if something bad happens, so I'd prefer cheap and plentiful to collector's market.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Cheap deals please. I would like to go back to 10 years ago when I could find e30s in the junkyard and $500 deals on craigslist all day long. I don't care about selling my current e30s, I just want to be able to buy more so I can build them differently.
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X