Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was exciting watching the bidding for the 94 design edition wagon in the UK. Now another one!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

BaT definitely deletes critical comments and bans users. When questioned they'll just take the stance that the now banned user was manipulating the auction to their benefit.

Long ago, before they likely significantly contributed to the rise in value of a broad spectrum of "collectable" cars, when there were CL posts or other features on there the comments were filled with negative/critical comments, often to the benefit of those uninformed about said car. Today BaT only seems to exists to create a circle jerk of positivity about whatever car and how "rare" or valuable it should be.

I get the excitement of an auction, and that the broad selection of cars available is appealing to users. However, when they crossed over from being a site that seemed to encourage enthusiasts to buy/use the cars and on to a site that encouraged investors/collectors to buy and not use the cars, they pretty much lost the plot.
      My experience is different than this: I posted a bunch of comments about a swapped E30 for sale overseas. My comments were polite, but raised serious questions about the car's ability to be imported to the US with the swapped engine. None of my posts were deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I get the excitement of an auction, and that the broad selection of cars available is appealing to users. However, when they crossed over from being a site that seemed to encourage enthusiasts to buy/use the cars and on to a site that encouraged investors/collectors to buy and not use the cars, they pretty much lost the plot.

think DeMuro's site is supposed to be a little more realistic that way than BaT now. doesn't look like he generates the same high prices which will limit attraction from sellers. more of the cars look like they will get used as cars and not trading cards though.

edit : they're not all that way, just seems to be a few more of them.
        Last edited by 82eye; 01-20-2023, 10:55 AM.

Comment

M52-Swapped 1993 Touring
          https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...18i-touring-3/

S50-Swapped 325i
          Bid for the chance to own a S50-Powered 1989 BMW 325i Coupe 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,977.

1994 316 Touring
          Bid for the chance to own a 1994 BMW 316i Touring Design Edition 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,205.
          Last edited by 2mAn; 01-24-2023, 04:32 PM.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            1994 316 Touring
            Bid for the chance to own a 1994 BMW 316i Touring Design Edition 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,585.
            Took a swing at this, missed it by that much.

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post

Took a swing at this, missed it by that much.
              There are more coming!
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

There are more coming!
                I watch today's listing of the slicktop grey one. I wasn't sold though, didn't get the same urge as the blue one.

Comment

Wow if that isn't the definition of a 20 footer I don't know what is, this one is getting hot fast. I went on a roller coaster from thinking "oh that's cool I I like that" to "no hell way" in the matter of a few pictures. That is a lot of money for a car that needs a fender and windshield channel rust repair right off the bat, if you let that spread it will get bad fast because that is a moisture trap and can leak into the interior. By my judgement windshield channels are one of the worst places to have rust because fixing it requires windshield removal and re-installation and it is not a simple panel to patch. At least floor rust is just a matter of pulling the carpet and welding in a patch panel, and you can easily DIY since nobody will see your welds when you're done

White is the best E30 color though.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Wow if that isn't the definition of a 20 footer I don't know what is, this one is getting hot fast. I went on a roller coaster from thinking "oh that's cool I I like that" to "no hell way" in the matter of a few pictures. That is a lot of money for a car that needs a fender and windshield channel rust repair right off the bat, if you let that spread it will get bad fast because that is a moisture trap and can leak into the interior. By my judgement windshield channels are one of the worst places to have rust because fixing it requires windshield removal and re-installation and it is not a simple panel to patch. At least floor rust is just a matter of pulling the carpet and welding in a patch panel, and you can easily DIY since nobody will see your welds when you're done

White is the best E30 color though.
                    car was formerly owned by "Munich Man" on here.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

1988 325iS
                      Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,353.

EV Mtech2 Convertible
                      Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: Electric-Conversion 1992 BMW 325i M-Technic Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,365.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

1988 325iS
                        Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,353.

EV Mtech2 Convertible
                        https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-cabriolet-27/
                        I am tempted to jump on that EV cab only because the powertrain needs little to no maintenance (there’s enough things that break on these cars that an EV conversion is warranted). Not a fan of some of the interior changes, but the EV powertrain alone is worth it. Although I can imagine this car easily going past the $20k mark so I’ll be out of the inning
                        1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                        1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

1990 2.5L M3
                          Bring a Trailer Auctions is the best place to buy and sell vintage and classic vehicles - Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, and more.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

1991 Mtech 2 Convertible
                            Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 325i Convertible M-Technic II 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,790.

Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

wonder what happened to this one

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post

wonder what happened to this one
                                I think something is wrong with the link, here it is again

Bid for the chance to own a Modified 1990 BMW M3 2.5L at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #97,519.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X