Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another racecar sells for quite a bit less than what it cost to put it together. The fact seems that stock basic E30 will get the most bang for the sellers buck compared to the ones that the seller have poured their heart and soul into... let’s see what the others do in the next few days
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Another racecar sells for quite a bit less than what it cost to put it together. The fact seems that stock basic E30 will get the most bang for the sellers buck compared to the ones that the seller have poured their heart and soul into... let’s see what the others do in the next few days
      Yeah, I had the same issue when I sold my 332is a couple of years ago.

It wasn't the prettiest thing, but the market just isn't there for an E30 that was modified to that level.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

That site is shit for race cars,,, well its shit for alot of reasons,,, but I dont know why anyone would try to sell one on there.

100% the wrong audience. Lots of looks, but the wrong kind of people.

Most comments in race car auctions are cars and coffee warriors wanting to see if they can be made street legal again. Can I drive this on the street posts.
        Jimmy P.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
        98 318Ti Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
          That site is shit for race cars,,, well its shit for alot of reasons,,, but I dont know why anyone would try to sell one on there.

100% the wrong audience. Lots of looks, but the wrong kind of people.

Most comments in race car auctions are cars and coffee warriors wanting to see if they can be made street legal again. Can I drive this on the street posts.
          I agree, theres a few 325i's that are going to close out soon and it will be interesting to see what they will do.

The bone stock SuperEta is super cheap right now, but I know it wont end there. Its a No-Reserve Auction so everyone must be waiting. I think it will clear $5k, the other one is the one that was for sale here for like $13k or something. That car has easily had that much dumped into rebuilding the M20, repainting it and all that good stuff. It has some polarizing mods, but its still a relatively OEM car, so that will be interesting too.

At this point, race cars should be sold elsewhere. I got some pretty good traction with mine on Winding Road Racing. Can list for free or get a paid ad, good amount of views too. Mine simply wasnt the 100% race car so it didnt sell there, but the all-out cars should be able to
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            At this point, race cars should be sold elsewhere. I got some pretty good traction with mine on Winding Road Racing. Can list for free or get a paid ad, good amount of views too. Mine simply wasnt the 100% race car so it didnt sell there, but the all-out cars should be able to
            I might have to try that - we got an open wheel rotary powered car we are trying to unload soon and just been spitballing whether we try BAT or not.

Was hoping that Radical would go for cheap, I'd pay 10K for it (which would be a fire sale) but I wouldn't go higher than that since I now have TWO racecars to prep for this season (the E30 and an E36/S54).

Tim's car did go for cheap, but the problem with PRO3 is it's very regional and the changes to bring it in compliance with SE30 would be another couple grand. His car was in really good shape, and I don't remember seeing him in any on track skirmishes. But Tim has been more focused on competitive cycling lately, which even going all in, is still cheaper than racing.

Again, with racecars, REAL racecars, you always take a loss. They are a tool, and get used up. That's why I was always told to not race something you couldn't afford to push off a cliff. So, yes it stings some when one is sold low, but then again, the other option is it being balled up on the track and you lose everything in it...

To be fair though, I've seen PRO3 cars in recent years trade hands for just under 10K-15K. The price on Tim's wasn't that out of line. The most one ever sold was the Tic Tac car to Jason, and that was several seasons back when the series was super competitive and fielded 20-30 cars a race.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

$14 for the race car is actually a good sale for the owner when comparing to Spec e30. I have seen some decent Spec cars sell for $5-8, we sold one for $10 a couple years ago.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Fair enough Djjerme.
                I honestly didnt know until your post what the PRO3 cars trade for.
                I know I couldnt replicate it for that price and I do most all my own work which made it a great deal for someone wanting a good quality race car for a cheap buy in.
                Thats why its always said,,, BUY a race car, dont build one.

From what I see of the PRO3 cars they are a nice step up from the Spec E30 "spec",,, more racey which I like. I always thought they shot too low on the Spec E30 "spec" to get my attention (JMHO).
                Jimmy P.
                98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  I might have to try that - we got an open wheel rotary powered car we are trying to unload soon and just been spitballing whether we try BAT or not.

Was hoping that Radical would go for cheap, I'd pay 10K for it (which would be a fire sale) but I wouldn't go higher than that since I now have TWO racecars to prep for this season (the E30 and an E36/S54).
                  I am in the same boat. Want a Radical sooooo bad, but I just can't bring myself to bring another racecar into the garage. I have enough fun/trouble taking care of the one I've got.

I've wanted a Radical for 12 years, since the first time I turned a wheel on track, we were at a track where they do a Radical school and those guys were whizzing by and I was hooked. I've had a chance to do some Radical school but never felt like spending the money. Still a pipe dream for me, I love those things.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                    I am in the same boat. Want a Radical sooooo bad, but I just can't bring myself to bring another racecar into the garage. I have enough fun/trouble taking care of the one I've got.

I've wanted a Radical for 12 years, since the first time I turned a wheel on track, we were at a track where they do a Radical school and those guys were whizzing by and I was hooked. I've had a chance to do some Radical school but never felt like spending the money. Still a pipe dream for me, I love those things.
                    There is alot to love.
                    Much faster than anything any of us are going to build out of an old BMW, light, fairly easy on consumables (both cost wise and actual consumption), sequential shifting (very cool, feel like an F1 driver kind of thing).

I too have loved Radicals from afar since I started going to race tracks in old BMWs.

If I remember right thought the buy in for even a used Radical is pretty spendy.
                    Jimmy P.
                    98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

That radical sold for $25k!! Deal, I should have bought it, damn!

Typically they trade in the 40-50k range. Still a great bang for your buck if you want to go fast and feel like you’re in a formula or imsa car

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

No kidding.

If I could sell off the other racecars, I’d have jumped on it too. Though it looked like the winner was in it for a bit more should it been a bidding war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I’m literally about to buy an e46 m3 for newrly the same money! Back to reality though, I can actually use the e46 daily 7-8 months a year - which is the plan.

Comment

No Reserve: S52-Powered 1990 BMW 325is

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: S52-Powered 1990 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,043.

Comment

1988 325is
                              Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,067.

They really need to look closer at what they are posting... thy have this one listed as a 87
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

its possible that this is how its titled. after hurricane ike in 2008, I went to look at a flood damaged facelift coupe that was titled as an 87. I don't know how its possible but still.....
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X