This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Those 86 ES / 87 IS cars are tough ones, because they are special NA cars, but the bigass diving boards kill the overall look

$12k shouldve been enough

They also have the early cooling system, and a way different front chassis harness over the 88+. So just oddball enough. Plus, I do believe the ‘87 still used the sheet metal shifter style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      They also have the early cooling system, and a way different front chassis harness over the 88+. So just oddball enough. Plus, I do believe the ‘87 still used the sheet metal shifter style.
      I dont think the intelligent BaT bidders are concerned about any of those things
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        That's a pretty wide brush you found to paint every potential buyer of an 87is based off one (non) sale on one website.

$12k may be where the market was for THAT car, but it damned sure ain't for every last one of them.
        This is truth.

Not enough pictures, the seller is either aged or head-over-heels (or both) with the car so either didn't see or didn't want to see the touch-ups.

What was the condition of the suspension? Mostly original or mostly replaced?

A victim of poor presentation and inadequate copy.
        1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
          Plus, I do believe the ‘87 still used the sheet metal shifter style.

No, they went to the later style shift console sometime in late 1985 (MY86).
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Those 86 ES / 87 IS cars are tough ones, because they are special NA cars, but the bigass diving boards kill the overall look

$12k shouldve been enough
            Agreed - I'm surprised it broke 10 and that BaT even allowed that high of a reserve on it.

Back when I was much more active here, I don't remember early model diving boards breaking 5 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              No, they went to the later style shift console sometime in late 1985 (MY86).

I've had 3 built in 1985, all 3 had the sheet metal shifter, but also had the ears to swap the late style directly in. Did a 885 head swap on a local's 84 build date and his gearbox did not have the ears.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My racecar was an ‘85 chassis as well and still had the original transmission for several seasons. It was the same (sheet metal shifter but ears for later style.)

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  People tend to drive differently in their "appliance" then they do in their enthusiasts car. Sure, you would replace the chassis and DIY your way back to a daily, but the spectrum of car enthusiasts spread wide. Some owners hire to get a car built, that's money lost in an incident. You would have time lost, potato/potato in the end.
                  Nobody here is dumb enough to not call it a loss. But bad shit happens for no apparent reason sometimes and you shouldn't live your life petrified of it. You could lose your M3 in a random crash but you could also get killed in one, and yet we all still drive all the time whether it's in a boring shitbox or a valuable classic, and I'm not seeing the same people who don't drive their fun cars out of fear picking the safest car they can possibly afford to DD.

That's my opinion and everyone is free to take it or leave it.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...25i-cabriolet/

Euro S50 swapped Vert! Crazy...

And now a re-sale of a 318is that was bought through BaT in 2017

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...18is-coupe-16/
                    Should I be worried about that 318? I've been watching that one closely....
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Well

At the very least it makes for great entertainment!

No reserve is gutsy but in away that's what that venue is all about.

Selling a car. That euro S5x vert just fizzled without selling which seemed like a waste of time. Seller was very unresponsive.

I think the 318is will do great. Should break 11k but whenever something gets relisted, it sometimes gets weird reactions.

The seller has faith so I hope it does really well. Seems like a nice guy and great car.

Comment

Originally posted by AdironRider View Post
                        Should I be worried about that 318? I've been watching that one closely....
                        Its an E30... whats there to be worried about? Its no-reserve, so bid to whatever you feel like would be worth it.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                          At the very least it makes for great entertainment!

No reserve is gutsy but in away that's what that venue is all about.

Selling a car. That euro S5x vert just fizzled without selling which seemed like a waste of time. Seller was very unresponsive.

I think the 318is will do great. Should break 11k but whenever something gets relisted, it sometimes gets weird reactions.

The seller has faith so I hope it does really well. Seems like a nice guy and great car.
                          I'm hard pressed to believe it was the seller's call to set a no-reserve (who wouldn't want their car to hit a certain #?). More likely than not, BaT required a no-reserve as the initial listing didn't hit the right number which ends up being a waste of bandwidth on their end.

When I listed my e30 on BaT, they wouldn't even let me set a 8k reserve on it. I will say, however, that they're pretty damn selective about their listings so bid with confidence.

Comment

Well 13.75k or so with fees is a little rich for my blood for a 318is that needs at least a g in clear coat work.

My max was 11.5, which my 18 year old self would shit his pants at. I bought a 318is with 72k on here 15 years ago or so for 4k.
                            Back to my roots

Comment

No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325is

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #10,674.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                                Nice E30. Interesting to see the bumper and valance on the 88 vs. the 87 and 89 style.

I never knew.
                                90 Bronzit 325is
                                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X