Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was pure buyer red mist. It had to be.

Then again, I guess if you have an E30M3 thats missing the "correct" engine and trans and you are doing a full resto,,, yeah you "need" the engine and here is one for sale.

People have been paying stupid money for the cars, so for some deep pocketed collector whats $14K for a hard to find motor with all accessories and a NLA engine harness.

I understand "how" $14K happens,,, but I hate that it did happen.
    Damn if I wasnt planning on racing E30Ms until I stop racing,,, the multiple S14s I have stashed in my basement could pay off my house LOL.

I remember buying them off the idiot swappers for $2k!
    Jimmy P.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
    98 318Ti Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post

I remember buying them off the idiot swappers for $2k!

A local customer/friend has an e30m3 and was looking for an s14 the same time Blunt was swapping in the v10. Called Blunt about it, he was selling it for $6, customer was about it, called Blunt back a few hours later and it was gone. Another local just scored a rebuilt s14 for $12k for his 2002 project...e30 tax is getting out of hand.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

$12k for a complete fresh S14 is really not all "that" bad.
        If it was in fact a complete and fresh built motor by a known reputable builder, thats not crazy. Something on stock bore or 1st over, stock crank or 1st under,,, thats OK.

Its the $14K for what in my mind is a core,,, thats crazy.
        Jimmy P.
        98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
          $12k for a complete fresh S14 is really not all "that" bad.
          If it was in fact a complete and fresh built motor by a known reputable builder, thats not crazy. Something on stock bore or 1st over, stock crank or 1st under,,, thats OK.

Its the $14K for what in my mind is a core,,, thats crazy.

Hard to say. I just did a .100" over "m50" lol...and I would be weary of anything over a .025" crank. If it leaked down and the bearings looked OK, that's a different story., but I agreed with the previous statement "e30 tax is getting out of hand".

I used to get e30's free, or in trade for labor at my shop, now late 30 and 40-somethings are spending 5 figures on them without blinking an eye. I remember the days when they were as cheap, or cheaper than the e46 chassis is now, and doing suspension swaps for less than a Benjamin as a side job.

Just signed the 9th lease at my shop, and had a smaller place 2yr prior....gosh I'm getting old. :(
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: S50-Powered Euro 1985 BMW 318i Baur TC at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #15,536.
            Attached Files
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

1988 BMW M3

Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #15,537.

Comment

man I guess the E30 drought is over! haha
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Ah, the M3 rear lower body panels that cover up the massive wind trap by the spare tire well are freaking awesome and I want them. I saw someone put them in their car without much modification too. I want.

Comment

I know a Bauer isn't for everyone, but that seems like a steal at $7,300.
                    1992 325i Cabrio
                    1988 320i Touring
                    2000 M5
                    1977 530i
                    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                    BMWCCA
                    E30CCA

Comment

Meh. It's the US "S50", so it wasn't a desirable swap. And #BecauseBauer. If it had been the Euro S50, I'd have bet it hit 10K. Easily.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I'm usually quick to hate the US S50 too, but in that Baur i think it was the right choice. Maybe a M5X B28 would have even better, Baurs are not racecars and not overly stiff, so an Euro S50 would have been overkill anyway. 7300 still is a steal, i would have bet on more than 10k

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          Meh. It's the US S50, so it wasn't a desirable swap. And #BecauseBaur. If it had been the Euro S50, I'd have bet it hit 10K. Easily.
                          What is wrong with an S50B30 US? They are a great engine.

Do agree with the Baur comment. You either love them or hate them.
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

1987 S52 swapped 325i
                            Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1987 BMW 325is Track Car at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #15,809.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

1987 M3
                              Bid for the chance to own a 1987 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #15,878.
                              Attached Files
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Thats a nice fucking car.
                                Why oh why didnt BMW let US cars have all those cool cloth interiors.
                                Im sure some jackwagon will post some bullshit about it, but thats a really cool car.
                                Jimmy P.
                                98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Working...
                                X