• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    but baby M3

How about a “high mileage” M3?

1988 M3
    Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #20,434.

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Let’s see if a properly modified 325is will so we’ll, because it damn well should

1988 325is
      Bid for the chance to own a 75k-Mile 1988 BMW 325is Coupe 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #20,472.

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        How about a “high mileage” M3?

1988 M3
        Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #20,434.

I really like this one - true driver and looks well cared for. Meaning, BAT's going to tear it apart. Or it's going to go crazy stupid money and be socked away in a bubble for the rest of it's life.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I really like this one - true driver and looks well cared for. Meaning, BAT's going to tear it apart. Or it's going to go crazy stupid money and be socked away in a bubble for the rest of it's life.
          yeah curious to see what audience this car attracts.

I hope it goes for a decent price and ends up in the hands of someone who wants to drive the shit out of it, rather than the alternative..

It's a really clean car for the mileage, but do you think people with deep pockets are going to dump cash on a repainted M3 with 160k on the clock?

Definitely going to do better than the red m3 that didn't hit reserve.. maybe 45k?
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Picked up my bike from getting a tuneup and decided to swing by my buddies shop, and guess what wandered by..

Hey, I think I’ve seen that car. Somewhere... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

^Small world

Comment

Let’s see if a properly modified 325is will so we’ll, because it damn well should

1988 325is
                Bid for the chance to own a 75k-Mile 1988 BMW 325is Coupe 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #20,472.

Bronzit! Bronzit! Bronzit!

I think it will do well based on the low mileage. The BaT crown doesn't seem to despise Bronzit as much as y'all do here.
                90 Bronzit 325is
                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

E30 attrition rate in full effect

Comment

Originally posted by BaT community;
                    ...but baby M3!?!?
                    M42 owner cope.

It's a C-tier BMW engine and a D-tier 4 cylinder. It's prone to some stupid problems (profile gasket, tons of timing case leaks, broken idler sprocket, crank walk due to 180° thrust bearing) and underwhelming in performance and NVH. From my time on M42club I've seen that it also responds poorly to NA mods which are expensive to boot (ever priced a set of M42 cams?).

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

That guy in the black shirt sure is a handsome fella.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        At least the SBF can make the car more fun to drive without killing the car's balance if you mind the weight and toss the iron heads where they belong. If you put a stock mustang/truck 302 in there all bets are off :down: because stock the motor is absolutely crap.

I often wonder why anyone ever bothers with M50 swaps, it's a lot of work for added weight and barely any more power.

M50 swaps are solidly 'meh' but imo unless you are regularly hitting tight downhills you're going to hate driving an M42 powered E30. NA 4 cylinder cars can be fun with revs or light weight, but the M42 doesn't rev (falls flat just after 6k) and the 318is isn't light in 4 cylinder world.
                        I agree with you. Mostly just looking to make some money on this car and I feel like it would probably do better with the M42 installed. Has some nice parts like a glass moonroof, nice anthracite herringbone interior, full Lukebox setup, lots of suspension mods, Z3 steering rack, etc
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I'm sure it will be worth more with an M42 than an M50, but how much is the question. Since it won't be the original engine, that's going to hurt the value to the people who pay the big bucks for these cars, and you won't get the money back unless you throw a cheap used M42 in it. Rebuilding an M42 costs a pretty penny because of the timing stuff, more than rebuilding an M20 by my last check.

1988 325is

That is a beautiful car and would make a great nearly stock weekend driver. I'd almost feel bad about modifying it, but not quite. It would be a happy car with ITBs and higher compression. I actually like bronzit quite a lot too.
                          Last edited by varg; 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

That’s a tastefully modified e30!

Comment

That depends. If he sticks the M42 in it that I think he might be ending up with, it’s got only about 90k miles on it.

Just going off what I recall and recent auctions, the M50 swap may pull 8k tops. There has been 318is’ with rebuilt or replacement engines that have crossed 10k. I’m going to play it safe and say 2k is a fair estimate of the final value difference you could see if you bring it back to stockish.

Then you could unload the M50 swap for a grand or two as well.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I am also curious to see how the nicely modded 325is does. Over 12500 certainly.

Comment

Working...
                                X