Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AWD must be pretty bad for ecconomy. I manage 9L/100km highway with the M30B35! City mileage is a bit sobering though - between 14L/100km and 17L/100km depending on how enthusiastic I am feeling ;)
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
      N52 isn’t on the list because it requires too much custom work. These 3 engines are easy to put in an E30 using off-the-shelf parts. In regards to DBW on the M54, there’s no reason to delete it. The electronic pedal is easy to install and I believe it gives a nicer experience than the cable throttle.

Also, let’s assume the E30 you’re putting this into doesn’t have an engine. There’s this weird purist thing going on where people think M42s only belong in a 318is, and it seems people either love them or hate them and those who hate them seem to be very vocal about it. It’s very odd. Kinda thinking I should stick an M42 into my 325is just so people can hate on it. :)
      FWIW I swapped an M42 into my 325i :) This was a long time ago though when there were not a lot of good options available. I drove a friends 85 318i and liked the feeling on turn in with less weight over the front axle and my M20 was tired so I decided to put in an M42 because I didn’t want the weight of an iron block 24v.

My swap was not stock though so it was more fun than usual. Standalone engine management, bigger cams, ltw flywheel, ZF320, 3.73 rear gears. Its pretty fun and throttle response is good with the cams and better engine tuning. The 3.73 gears with the ZF is like 4.44 gears with the G240 so it is geared to go! Overall pretty fun car and the original intent was to turbo it.

I don’t dislike the swap but if I were to do something today it would be an N52 hands down. Lightweight, 6cyl sound, torque, power.

Not that anyone cares but I figured I would weigh in since I went from M20 to M42 thats tweaked a bit but wish I had an N52...
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post

FWIW I swapped an M42 into my 325i :) This was a long time ago though when there were not a lot of good options available. I drove a friends 85 318i and liked the feeling on turn in with less weight over the front axle and my M20 was tired so I decided to put in an M42 because I didn’t want the weight of an iron block 24v.

My swap was not stock though so it was more fun than usual. Standalone engine management, bigger cams, ltw flywheel, ZF320, 3.73 rear gears. Its pretty fun and throttle response is good with the cams and better engine tuning. The 3.73 gears with the ZF is like 4.44 gears with the G240 so it is geared to go! Overall pretty fun car and the original intent was to turbo it.

I don’t dislike the swap but if I were to do something today it would be an N52 hands down. Lightweight, 6cyl sound, torque, power.

Not that anyone cares but I figured I would weigh in since I went from M20 to M42 thats tweaked a bit but wish I had an N52...
        That's awesome! N52 sounds nice, but it's too custom for me and things like cruise control and A/C won't work without some electronics dedication, plus there is no dipstick... I decided on M44. Installs with original E30 parts and everything will work. Perfectly adequate power for a daily driver with good MPG. And it's reliable and parts are cheap. A little more complicated design than an M20, but nowhere near as complicated as an N52.
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

• wazzu70
          wazzu70 commented
          Editing a comment
          The M44 has the different cam follower/rocker setup. The M44 was even more of an economy engine design. Just FYI.

The M54 is great on paper and would be my choice for a daily driver, but I've read a ton of stories about head bolts pulling out their threads when you go to change the head gasket. That's a deal breaker for me. Can anyone with first hand experience comment on the prevalence of this?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

The threads pulling out of the block is common if the engine has been overheated, this is the case on the aluminum m52 as well. Many have used thread repair tactics to repair this issue. I would love a n52 in my e30, but no off the shelf installation options has me leaning to the m54. The m54 is also a great engine but n52's are easier & cheaper to find used, all are 3.0 and are lighter with higher horsepower potential.

Comment

N52/N54 is a lot better in that regard. I limped one home 15 miles with no water pump. The temp stabilized at 135c (lucky it was cold and raining). Never had any problems or leaks after replacing the pump.

They are designed to run at 115c stock, so I felt pretty confident it would be fine.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              The AWD must be pretty bad for ecconomy.
              3 driveshafts and 1 diff vs 6 driveshafts and 3 diffs. Yep, lol. But the traction increase is pretty cool.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

where da m30 option at?

Comment

I changed the original post a little and added more poll options including M30 and N52. You're welcome to change your answer if you've already voted.
                  Last edited by Andrew325is; 08-23-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Because I have one and I can swap it.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

yuk
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

My E30 is a daily driver that I use for running errands around town, so if I swap an engine into it I want one that is inexpensive, fairly reliable, and provides better fuel economy. I would also want something more modern with OBD2. So an M44 fits the bill for me. I think it would be neat to have a high-spec 318is (with the 325is options).
                        This is basically what I did. Swapped in full sport leather with a ski-pass rear seat, premium sound, fogs, is lip and rear spoiler and a crack-free dash. It’s not the fastest e30 out there, but it looks clean and classic. Plus it hangs with m20 cars and gets over 30mpg. Look, if CA ever scraps the Bar97 smog requirements, I will prob hunt down an M54. ‘Till then, my M44/42 Frankenmotor brings a smile every time I hit 7k.
                        Last edited by benz-tech; 08-24-2019, 07:17 AM.
                        You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
                        I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
                        Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          yuk
                          Hate = envy of the factory 9200rpm. :)
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
                            This is basically what I did. Swapped in full sport leather with a ski-pass rear seat, premium sound, fogs, is lip and rear spoiler and a crack-free dash. It’s not the fastest e30 out there, but it looks clean and classic. Plus it hangs with m20 cars and gets over 30mpg. Look, if CA ever scraps the Bar97 smog requirements, I will prob hunt down an M54. ‘Till then, my M44/42 Frankenmotor brings a smile every time I hit 7k.
                            That's awesome!

Waganstyle, that engine is interesting. Is it from an S2000?

Are the new poll options selectable? I can't tell.

Comment

That's awesome!

Waganstyle, that engine is interesting. Is it from an S2000?

Are the new poll options selectable? I can't tell.
                              I don't see an option to change my vote, or select the new options.

As for the honda motor... I agree with digger

YUK

Not talking shit on honda motors, but I would never put one in a classic BMW.

and yes, that's from an s2k
                              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                              Q
                              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                              X