No announcement yet.

New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - is there zero demand for an old E30 automatic trans? Should I just scrap it at the metal recycler? Driveshaft?
    I listed mine on the local craigslist and had ZERO bites. One guy who bought a couple other parts from me offered me 20 bucks and I balked. It's still sitting in my garage along with all the supporting parts and I finished my swap last year. Good luck is all I can say unfortunately, I was as surprised as you are.
    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

I wrote to the driveshaft guys to see if they want that for a rebuildable core. Trans probably needs to be disassembled to separate alum and steel. That torque converter is heavy!

Comment

Good to see progress still going!

What is next on the list?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          Question - is there zero demand for an old E30 automatic trans? Should I just scrap it at the metal recycler? Driveshaft?
          Those who need a low-mileage auto transmission, probably want to test it when it's installed in a vehicle.
          It has a known defect.

Comment

Posted this in Body & Paint but not too many eyes there, so I'll add it here -

My son sent me this pic of his driver's side sill, showing some corrosion at a panel joint under the door.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0336.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	10056461 Click image for larger version  Name:	L sill copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	10056464

I'd like to understand this seam better. Are the sills covered with a sort of vinyl coating? At one time I cleaned them up and sprayed with SEM trim black.

If you look at the panel construction on the sides, "Cover" (4) is the sill piece and looks to go full length all the way to the rear wheel opening (?).
            So what's the non-sill-shaped bit at the rear (right in drawing) end? Is the rear quarter panel installed over the top of that area?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	E30 side structure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	10056462

And is the forward end of this piece the joint at the front fender? So where is this seam under the door? What's behind it?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	E30 sill cover left.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	10056463

Thanks - LF

Oh, BTW, this car is humming right along with his new manual swap in the midwest, no problems (except quirky ABS), and is more reliable than his girlfriends Outback. People at work have brought cash to try to buy it. Crazy.

Comment

BUMP

Anyone know how the rocker/sill is constructed? I can't tell if this is all external from the pic. I'll see this car in a couple of weeks, we're driving it back to Colorado.

Comment

I don't know how that sill is constructed.

However, can't you just sand down the rust and see how bad it is? It might be just surface rust, and it sounds like you know how to take care of that.

Comment

The quarter panels overlap the sill and is welded in a few spots to the underlying sill. Does that answer your questions? :-)

Maybe have a look at my project:
                  🇩🇰 BMW E30 318iS PROJECT på Instagram: “Left quarter panel tacked in place. Will be fully welded Monday 😁👌 bmw e30 318is #e30lifestyle #e30lovers #welding #vintage…”
                  🇩🇰 BMW E30 318iS PROJECT på Instagram: “Quarter panel removed today 🙌 The rust saga continues.... bmw e30 318is #e30lifestyle #e30lovers #welding #vintage #projectuberkaro…”
                  🇩🇰 BMW E30 318iS PROJECT på Instagram: “Shit just got real today!😮 Panel just hung on there for fun. Not fitted yet. bmw e30 318is #e30lifestyle #e30lovers #welding #vintage…”
                  🇩🇰 BMW E30 318iS PROJECT på Instagram: “Some random pictures I took at the body shop this morning. Still needs fitting and welding 😊 bmw e30 318is #e30lifestyle #e30lovers…”

I've had both quarter panels replaced by a body shop.

Comment

Long Term Update -

This car is still with him, commuting to work in CO. He has snows on the stock bottlecaps for winter, does fine with limited slip and some sandbags in the trunk. Soon to get a set of Koni yellow shocks / struts installed, and have an expert look at the shift linkage for some sort of binding / jamming in certain gears, but completely random. Shifts fine sometimes, binds up / really tight other times. Don't know if it's cheap aftermarket bushings in the plate shifter mounts... Could be some internal shift fork issues on an unknown used transmission (?).

He got a great job - and one of the partners races an E36 locally.

Comment

Working...
                    X