2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    Ignition to control idle is thing. If you imagine using a butterfly or other valve to control airflow there is a lag. Ignition is as instantaneous as it gets but the range of adjustment is limited using ignition so still need to have butterfly setup correct. Also don't want too much heat out exhaust with excessive retard
    Would that would be Megasquirt's idle advance option? I got the idea to flatten idle ign from browsing through this thread:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...hread?t=390283

I don't think mine is excessively retarded, relative to those in the thread. I'm at 15 where idle occurs. Before I think it was set into the low 20s.

I'm going to try letting idle advance control idle ignition, and keeping my idle ignition table values flat. This morning I saw the flaw to my methodology since I have it idling higher on start, it was out of the range of my 'valley', and started hunting again. But once it dipped back into the 'valley' when the car was warm, it stabilized.

EDIT: I ended up advancing ignition. With the idle advance, it seemed to idle better after it kicked in. But it would pin it to 30 deg. Advancing the tables, it goes directly to idling well and the idle advance hardly has to do anything. Here are my current tables that are giving me a very nice idle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	yzLZPY5.png Views:	0 Size:	377.6 KB ID:	9884958

And, digger , what vacuum would you expect to see from my motor at idle? 45 kPa when warm too little? It seems to go as low as 41 and I've seen as high as 50 kPa I've got 274 cams. I'm debating whether I should still check for vacuum leaks.
    Last edited by betz; 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM.
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

45 seems ok to me
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

How did you set your VE tables?
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          45 seems ok to me
          Ok cool, it was actually pulling like 37 at idle today so I think I've ruled out any major vacuum leaks for sure. If it idles higher too, it would be getting less vacuum.

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          How did you set your VE tables?
          How I set it up or what are they? Why not both lol.

Once I got idle to be good enough, I ran the autotune live feature that comes with the paid tuner studio. Worked super super good. My AFRs at part load, full throttle, up hill, cruising, are all just dialed in it seems. I think my req_fuel might be slightly off because I'm not sure what the pink top S52 injectors lb/hr is on a 3 bar FPR, there's mixed information since OEM is 3.5bar. I have it set as 20 lb/hr. But to my understanding, if you adjust the fuel tables proportionally and you're not swapping injectors it shouldn't matter.

Here is my current VE table. The only values I really edit myself are idle, usually. If my idle is wonky at all the autotune is likely to mess up those values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TqQNdyf.png
Views:	549
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	9885152

Build thread

Other cars:
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I just looked at my VE table and its basically itenticle to yours. mine is all done with auto tune as well except for idle, so yours should be on the right track.
            For what its worth my m20 seems to like idling around 19deg. (m20b23 9.8:1). you are on the right track in making sure that the ignition advance stays constant at all idling conditions. How have you set your idle control? if you change it to advanced and use PID contrl it makes a big difference. There is a bit of playing around to get the PID values right, but i think its going to be better than the "simple" method or whatever they call it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              I just looked at my VE table and its basically itenticle to yours. mine is all done with auto tune as well except for idle, so yours should be on the right track.
              For what its worth my m20 seems to like idling around 19deg. (m20b23 9.8:1). you are on the right track in making sure that the ignition advance stays constant at all idling conditions. How have you set your idle control? if you change it to advanced and use PID contrl it makes a big difference. There is a bit of playing around to get the PID values right, but i think its going to be better than the "simple" method or whatever they call it.
              Great to know! And I've been messing with that, I'm sure I'll get it dialed in. I did adaptive advance and tried both added and table, I really just need to spend more time on it though.

Alright guys. I'm not the show off-y type, but I've gotten enough requests for videos, that I've finally done it. Hope you enjoy.

In car

From stop

"Swing it bro!"

:)

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

That looks fun:) i like the color of your car:)

Comment

love this car.... whens the dyno time?

also, is this now the funniest car of the group?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The E30.. is the most fun. Funny? Lol sure. The 914 has that potential for sure though. I've got the engine for it now (4A-GE 20V blacktop) but I'm trying to decide whether to get it painted (maybe in Tijuana??) or to just swap the motor in and fix it up to drive then do the paint later. It's kind of in a state where paint now would make me feel better though.

The Boxster.. is the most fun when you're going really fast. It's a great car but I feel the E46 took some of it's daily driver thunder away from it. Mainly because it's a better daily driver. Not that the Boxster is a bad daily by any stretch, I truly did not anticipate how great a daily the E46 is. I really love the Boxster still but it would be the first to go at this point. No harm in holding onto it for a while, for now though. Going for a blast in that thing is still amazing. It's just, you know, newer Porsches are even better :p. And so are some of older ones...

Dyno time.. well this time I'm probably not going to Mann engineering. Might have the hookups this time. Guessing it will be a less nice facility but that's kind of want that just so I can be there in the room while it's getting dyno'd haha. And take a badass video. Mann puts it in this chamber and I had to look though a little window. Which is cool, but also, for sissies. I'll hopefully know by this weekend

Build thread

Other cars:
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                      How I set it up or what are they? Why not both lol.

Once I got idle to be good enough, I ran the autotune live feature that comes with the paid tuner studio. Worked super super good. My AFRs at part load, full throttle, up hill, cruising, are all just dialed in it seems. I think my req_fuel might be slightly off because I'm not sure what the pink top S52 injectors lb/hr is on a 3 bar FPR, there's mixed information since OEM is 3.5bar. I have it set as 20 lb/hr. But to my understanding, if you adjust the fuel tables proportionally and you're not swapping injectors it shouldn't matter.

Here is my current VE table. The only values I really edit myself are idle, usually. If my idle is wonky at all the autotune is likely to mess up those values.
                      thanks!! I’m compiling all of the info I can before I set my MS2 up. The car sounds fantastic in those videos. It seems like it really pulls hard.

also, I had this saved in my notes regarding s52 injector flow rates.
                      • 3.00 Bar/ 43.5 PSI --- 22.50 lbs/HR --- 236cc/min
                      • 3.50 Bar/ 50.7 PSI --- 24.30 lbs/HR --- 255cc/min
                      • 4.00 Bar/ 58.0 PSI --- 25.98 lbs/HR --- 315cc/min
                      • 2.50 Bar/ 36.3 PSI --- 20.55 lbs/HR --- 216cc/min

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

sounds so damn good
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

thanks!! I’m compiling all of the info I can before I set my MS2 up. The car sounds fantastic in those videos. It seems like it really pulls hard.

also, I had this saved in my notes regarding s52 injector flow rates.
                          • 3.00 Bar/ 43.5 PSI --- 22.50 lbs/HR --- 236cc/min
                          • 3.50 Bar/ 50.7 PSI --- 24.30 lbs/HR --- 255cc/min
                          • 4.00 Bar/ 58.0 PSI --- 25.98 lbs/HR --- 315cc/min
                          • 2.50 Bar/ 36.3 PSI --- 20.55 lbs/HR --- 216cc/min

It pulls like a freight train now. And the car feels much more like it has an OEM tune, at the same time. Just more solid and consistent all around, I love it!

And thank you so much for those flows haha. That is very very useful.

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

COVID-19 update:

No dyno time yet

I've finally fixed the odometer

Finally got my steering wheel back

Finally installed a new lower dash

Also have it on the original whodwho base tune, idling perfect running perfect. Confused about ignition though, seemed much more conservative than the DIYPNP base tune, yet, out of the box it was knocking more than ever before. Not a huge deal since I still tuned it out, but a head scratcher for sure. Also wondering if I might be losing power because of timing. It feels good though.

Name:	HvCb7f8.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9916253

Since I'm not out of the house nearly as much these days... my E30 has become my 'daily' driver. Best condensed driving enjoyment of all my cars :)
                            Time to get started on that 914 tho... just been sitting while I collect parts but it's time has come!

Build thread

Other cars:
                            2000 Porsche Boxster
                            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

still jealous of these seats

Comment

Got a pretty cool pic taken of it at the auto x the other day. Haven't anything too significant lately, it got an MTech-1 spoiler and matching trunk torsion springs. I modified the headlight relay for the smileys finally. And planning on running a variable TPS very soon.

Just been driving and enjoying- the stroker has been very solid and runs smooth. And most importantly... it's a blast!! It feels very fast. It's gonna be at least 200hp I think. I've been looking into some places with dynos- I think my last post in this thread will be the dyno result whenever I get around to it. I may have given up on ITBs... But only cus my 914 will be getting it.. in a stock 4A-GE blacktop. Which I now have as well as all the parts to get it installed.
                                ​​​​​​

Name:	20201110002408-2936e1df-xx.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	9959794

Build thread

Other cars:
                                2000 Porsche Boxster
                                1972 Porsche 914