No announcement yet.

VGT Turbo M20 Sleeper ('87 325 Sedan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In non-turbo news, I cooked the brakes recently while collecting data to characterize boost response vs engine speed, MAP, and vane position. Was using the brakes to hold RPM while the turbo spooled, back-to-back runs for over an hour. So I figured it was a good time to swap in the new brake lines from Garagistic, new rotors and pads, and ABS delete.

Originally planned to use Hawk HP+ pads I bought a long time ago. Started with just rear pads and rotors so I could do more VGT characterization, and holy cow were those Hawk pads annoyingly loud after a few miles. Threw in some cheap Duralast pads for now, nice and quiet again.

Brake line swap and ABS delete has been kicking my butt a bit. Fronts were easy, but those rear flex lines above the subframe are a huge pain, and despite using flare wrench(es, I tried several), a few of the nuts absolutely refused to budge after 35 years. Ended up having to remake both rear hard lines that run along the trailing arms. Got the brake line swap finished, at least.

ABS delete is also mostly done, but apparently I ordered the wrong tee fitting for the front brake lines (ordered inverted flare for some reason, instead of bubble flare), the correct one should get here today, so hopefully I can get the car functional again tonight by finishing up the ABS delete and doing the front pads and rotors. Might also add a secondary diff mount while the car is in the air, should be a relatively quick job.

If I do get the car going again tonight, I'm planning to head to the drag strip tomorrow morning for some 1/4 miles runs. I don't plan to launch very hard, want to try to save the rear axles for next year, so don't expect any amazing ETs. Mostly curious what the trap speed will look like on 11psi (180kPa MAP is what I've been running for the time being). The drag strip is more like 4500ft elevation so turbo response will be noticeably better compared to the 6000-6500ft I've been tuning at. Will also be a good chance to check on how well my MAP-targeted closed-loop dome pressure boost control is working. Should keep MAP at 180kPa despite the ~5kPa increase in ambient pressure, if I have it tuned properly.

Untitled by Mikey Antonakakis, on Flickr

Comment

Car is back on the ground, brakes and clutch work. Planning to drag race tomorrow. Second test drive earlier this evening (after a very quick trip around the block to bed the new front pads) made it clear that I forgot to tighten an intake clamp. Other than that everything seems good to go for tomorrow.

Comment

Well, that was a bust. Apparently I needed a fireproof jacket due to the non-factory turbo setup. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey.antonakakis View Post
          Well, that was a bust. Apparently I needed a fireproof jacket due to the non-factory turbo setup. Oh well.
          I always find it funny when they throw those rules in there for a street car.
          Don't forget your fireproof jacket when getting groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            I always find it funny when they throw those rules in there for a street car.
            Don't forget your fireproof jacket when getting groceries.
            I’ve at least got a jacket on its way now, along with a new helmet. It would be fun to get some autocross time soon too (maybe in the neighbor’s Lotus?), and I’ll definitely need it for that.

We felt a little out of place at the drag strip lol​

Click image for larger version  Name:	36878BDB-A917-40DB-8D6C-520727F8163C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	10073162

Comment

Maybe a bit out of place, but looking good!
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

No major updates yet - I moved this summer, so between prepping the old house for sale, moving, and an onslaught of house projects at the new house, have had the car in storage until a week or two ago. Finally got it back home in time for winter, lol. Still runs great! Might try to get the 2.9L stroker stetup (with the Mahle Motorsport pistons and aftermarket rods) built this winter if I can find a good machine shop around here.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey.antonakakis View Post
                  I've been taking non factory turbo cars to drag strips for years and nobody ever hit me with that one. My motorcycle helmet was all I needed to break into the 11s in a car that had an obviously aftermarket turbo setup. I guess nobody cares in FL.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

I've been taking non factory turbo cars to drag strips for years and nobody ever hit me with that one. My motorcycle helmet was all I needed to break into the 11s in a car that had an obviously aftermarket turbo setup. I guess nobody cares in FL.
                    Yeah, I left a CV joint all over Bradenton's track circa 2011, when I first put this car together lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X