• Show
Clear All

Needs the Jager liverly now......
    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
      Needs the Jager liverly now......
      Sure if they pay me! No free sponsorship.

In other news, tried to fit both the cheap OEM replica and cheap ACS replica front lips I had, and I couldn't get either one to work.
      It hurt ordering the ACS Rep from RaceGerman, cost just as much as the M3 rep front bumper. Front end just doesn't look finished without a lip.

Was out this morning not intending to take pictures, but the lighting and snow framed the car nicely.
      Sadly my old iPhone 8 doesn't have the quality of a DSLR or newer phone. Something something the best camera is the one you have with you.

Starting with the three main lighting modes. Forgot to get one with the low & high beams on at the same time.

-

-

-

Last edited by Panici; 01-07-2024, 03:39 PM.

Comment

End of January update.

Finally got some snow and cold temps here. Glad I don't have a front lip on the M3 bumper, gives me a little more ground clearance before snowplow mode is engaged. Replacement starter didn't skip a beat!

Thoroughly powerwashed the set of OEM carpet mats from the Bostongrun car. Feels and looks a little nicer inside now. Not going to use the driver's side front until I patch the hole in the floor, as the heater does help to dry out the carpeting.

Installed a set of aliexpress black kidney grilles. The chrome ones were barely held in there and glued together.

When I changed the colour on the ownership, I shelled out $60 for a new set of license plates to replace the beat up set that was on there.
        Fate decided this was the right move, as the set of random letters/numbers ends in 36 !

Plastic stud holding the toolbox to the trunk snapped in half. Ordered a replacement box with tools from eBay ($110cad).

Even though I could carry a universal set of tools for much cheaper, there is something about using OEM tools in a modern classic car. Maybe it's because new cars don't come with them? I had previously poached some items from this box for the M3, so my set was half missing. From the new box, the best items went in the M3, and the rest into Canyongrun for a nearly complete setup (Still missing the 10mm socket 71111181418).

Wrap isn't holding up so well in spots. Have used hot glue to reattach a couple areas, and under the rocker there has come undone again. Not pleased but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Panici; 01-27-2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

dig.

Not bad for a winter beater.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Is one of your exhaust pipes stuffed with something?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              dig.
              Not bad for a winter beater.
              It certainly doesn't look bad anymore. Mechanically is another story.
              Front end is still a mess, power steering pump is whining, and water pump has in/out play and is grinding.

Actually going to look at the rear suspension this weekend because it's been making even more concerning sounds then usual.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Is one of your exhaust pipes stuffed with something?
              Good eye. Attempting to make some custom packing for the glasspacks in there. A little more detail in Post 58.
              Next revision I won't wrap the packing so tightly, I'll encase it in chicken wire, and use more then one stud to hold it in!

Comment

Quick update:

Brake lights stopped working this week. Got an intermittent OBC warning with brake lights still functioning, and the occasional "1 Brake Lamp Fail" message.

Started by replacing the driver's side lamp assembly (which had previously split in half and was held in place by the trunk)!
                Then swapped bulbs around with good used items, and replaced the brake light switch with a URO Parts item from amazon.
                Finally resolved by replacing the passenger side brake light bulb holder with a good spare, and installing new bulbs.

Also took off my steering wheel and mounted it on straight.
                I should have done this when I replaced the steering rack instead of suffering with the off-center wheel all this time! I didn't realize until now that the four spoke steering wheel doesn't sit true center of the shaft, so it just feels "off" when it's not centered. Are all E36 wheels like this?

Last edited by Panici; 02-22-2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Installed an AC Schnitzer (ACS) replica front lip sourced from Racegerman.
                  Good quality, and they even included mounting hardware. I don't know if it was worth the price, but it certainly is the finishing touch on the front end.

Ended up swapping out the center four bolts for zipties to give it a little more wiggle room. The fit isn't exact, but I expect this is the fault of my replica M3 bumper, not the lip.

Comment

Is edge sealer still a thing for wraps? like 5 years ago it was recommended for wraps at sharp corners or where the wrap edges will get blasted with road grit, but I haven't heard it mentioned in the last few years.

I like the orange, and I like the M3 but this is definitely more my vibe for an e36
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Feb-Mar 2024 Update

We've had a very mild winter, with only a few snowfalls. Got more use out of the car then usual which was nice.

The trunk lock was sticking for a while, and finally siezed (and then broke while I was trying to free it up). Thankfully the trunk was open at the time!
                      This is the original lock from the high-milage Canyonrot chassis (which I transferred into the Bostongrun trunk). Looked through all my spares and didn't see the one from the Bostongrun trunk. Reluctantly ordered and installed a brand new lock, which was still available from the dealer for $190CAD. This was cheaper then a used unit from ebay after shipping and duty.

For the few weeks in-between I rigged up a set of zipties to unlatch the unlocked trunk, and suprisingly didn't have anyone open it up and steal my subwoofer in that time.

In more pressing news, I had the right-rear wheel lock up this week while making a slow right-hand turn in a neighbourhood.
                      I suspect a failed outer CV joint for that axle shaft, but it could also be something in that parking brake assembly or even the rear diff. Has been making some bad sounds for a while, and this car had a hard life as a drift missle before my ownership with a welded diff installed.

I was able to bump the car in reverse and free up whatever siezed to get the car out of traffic flow, with that corner making even worse sounds now. Nothing appeared to be hanging down when I looked under there in the dark.

Left the car at the side of the road, grabbed my jeep to drive for the day, and had the car towed back home that evening. Forgot to take a tow truck picture in the excitement, but even the flatbed needed to use wood so the front lip wouldn't scrape. Car is back home now and parked until it warms up outside and I can investigate further.​

One of the few snowfalls we got this year.

Some shots from a foggy morning

The Grand River just north of Lake Erie

Stealth ziptie installation for trunk release. Didn't draw the attention of any nerdowells.

Waiting for the towtruck. Only about an hour to get a flatbed out with Hagerty roadside assistance.

Back home (and waiting it's turn for attention)
                      Last edited by Panici; 03-22-2024, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Usually when the CVs break they just free spin with some crunchy noises, but hopefully that's all it is cause that's an easy fix
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                          Usually when the CVs break they just free spin with some crunchy noises, but hopefully that's all it is cause that's an easy fix
                          Any tips to getting stuck axle shafts out of the hubs if that's indeed the issue?

Tried to hammer the originals out of the bostongrun chassis before I sent it to the scrapper.
                          Gave up after the 8lb sledgehammer wouldn't budge them.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                            Any tips to getting stuck axle shafts out of the hubs if that's indeed the issue?

Tried to hammer the originals out of the bostongrun chassis before I sent it to the scrapper.
                            Good penetrating fluid, some heat, and the biggest hammer you can find. Alternatively if you can get your hands on a really strong three jaw puller that can work too.
                            Otherwise, if its stuck stuck, a new trailing arm, or push the bearing off and just a new hub.
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

Torch and a press. I replaced with a new wheel bearing/hub and axle anyways but it didn't want to move.
                              OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                              84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Working...
                              X