No announcement yet.

I'm a poor-sha guy now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never got around to posting this, likely during the R3V turtle sessions...

After getting the car detailed, I had a very close eye on the forecast for my 1/1 annual drive. I got a few minutes in the garage and decided I wanted to install one of the stickers to make the rear less naked. (also a hint into what is coming)

Convinced a few buddies to join and we (mostly) had a great drive all over Malibu. Met at the base of Topanga Canyon, stupid Frito Lays truck ruined the pic! lol

See what I mean...

First stop at Stunt Road

Close-up of the Devins 'interior'

I hit 103k which means I'm only at 3k miles since I bought it. That needs to improve in '24

Eventually broke off with a good friend from Orange County who made the trek because he had been itching to drive in Malibu. FYI That Z3 has a funny story behind how he ended up with it... story for another day

On the way back down, it was so beautiful we had to stop and take a pic. Love my backyard!

Normally I dont take pictures of myself, but my buddy asked and Im glad I said yes. Great pic IMO

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
    He has seen potential in me and found ways to invest in me.
    Hope to hear these pipes soon! (fingers crossed hope they fit lol)
    Kevan this world isnt fair. In my field I have seen firsthand the difference between those who are setup for success, those who've gotten lucky and those who always get the short end of the stick. Sometimes people just need someone to see the potential in them and invest in them. While I might drive a PORSHA Im in now way someone who can invest in others to reach their own full potential, but I am in a position to spend my hard earned dollars in a way I see best suits my own needs and desires and I chose to help you both for my own selfish gains, but also because I know the value of talent combined with the tools to get the job done. Hopefully this acquisition provides you some more tools to show others your worth, but a tool is only as good as the person holding it. I encourage you to be brave, invest in yourself and (this will be the hard part because I know how you are) show the world what you're capable of. You have to sell yourself and your skills.

The 911 just became the Daily Driver so we'll see how my plan works out with these guys. I probably wont install them just yet as I imagine the cold start with these will wake up the entire building... but Im still going to post this on RennList and see if we can have you knock out a few more of these.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Finally installed this Rennline Intake I bought during Black Friday sales... a shiny piece, but not likely to have done anything other than jazz up the engine bay
      Before

After
      [

Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Just getting around to seeing this thread. The 996's are very underappreciated and a lot of car for the money, especially in the Porsche world these days. Selling the E38 was one of my steps toward finally picking up a 964 that I have wanted forever and should have bought 5 years ago before they went nuts.

Yours looks so clean, I love the lines and the decal.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Since the intake takes up most of the bay, the upgrade really stands out!

Betcha that carbon was a pretty penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Since the intake takes up most of the bay, the upgrade really stands out!

Betcha that carbon was a pretty penny.
            Black Friday sale justification of the silly money spent... I don't mind, its a well-engineering piece and once I install the rubber piece on the ducktail it will only draw its air from the vents in the ducktail, outside of the car.

In other news,Took the car to the LA Cars & Coffee. Nice collection of cars there. Saw a bunch of E30s, and some mk1s

Back to the car. I love seeing the sexy intake in the airbox, but the wiring for the ducktail is now really annoying me...

I want to trim the fat from this harness and clean it up, as well as the fact that there's a light on the dash that the PO just put some black tape over the light. I'm not sure what I need to bridge or what. Hoping to figure out the solution soon
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

The graphics removal looks much more crisp. I was going to say something about that fan wiring.

Get it on the dyno, what she makin?!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                The graphics removal looks much more crisp. I was going to say something about that fan wiring.

Get it on the dyno, what she makin?!
                Thanks, I have some Carrera side stripes that I will install eventually, but not rushing to install those.

Fan wiring has been an eyesore since I got the car, time to finally do something with it.

I will likely dyno the car once I put the loudpipes on, but since its a daily I also will not be rushing that... but I will
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

What loud pipes did you go with? Do they have to be loud? Maybe sport pipes?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

What loud pipes did you go with? Do they have to be loud? Maybe sport pipes?
                    The car came with muffler deletes that I had no intention of installing as-is, but I wanted the ~40# weight loss off the extreme ass-end of the car. Doing some research I found some short, light resonators that I had Kevan weld in. He detailed it a few posts up. Weight loss will be right around 33# which is a full ONE PERCENT drop in weight lol
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Boss is gone, so I took his reserved spot.

Todays downpour is a sneak peak of what driving this thing daily is going to be like... and its not horrible, but the MPG sucks and could start to get ugly quick. At the least, its got me thinking already (its only been DD for one week)
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Boss is gone, so I took his reserved spot.

Todays downpour is a sneak peak of what driving this thing daily is going to be like... and its not horrible, but the MPG sucks and could start to get ugly quick. At the least, its got me thinking already (its only been DD for one week)
                        You are making me want a 996,that back end looks sweet, just love that rear deck.
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

And you all have the "best" of the best seasons...

I Just picked up a Prius Prime Advanced. Its kind of nice have a "basic" car... I was reading online that people change their brakes at 140K...

880 Miles so far on the first tank that the dealer filled up, and its been a month.

How many miles do you usually do in a week?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

How many miles do you usually do in a week?
                            I'm right around 100-120, but at this pace it looks like it could be a tank every ~10 days which would put fuel at around $200 minimum a month, and if I could drive something that I don't care about and could be 1 tank/month it might make sense to jump into something else.

As far as the 996 as a daily, the clutch is annoying and I think my cheap Chinese ICV is showing its value so I might need to buckle down and spend the hundreds on a factory unit. I have a silly plan to get my hands on what should be a good, used OEM ICV through the purchase of a Throttle body so I plan to try that first. I'm hoping I can find a place to bore that throttle body out as a long-term side project.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Can you do the GT3 TB on the 996's?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Can you do the GT3 TB on the 996's?
                                nope, because the 99-996 (and early 986 Boxsters) is the only modern Porsche that was drive by cable. The 3.4 was the largest capacity and with mine at 3.8L and an IPD plenum being the only mod, I’d like to add a larger bore TB. Down the road I’d also like to add the X51 aluminum intake manifolds, but one step at a time, and God knows how expensive those will be...

so yea, buy a TB and get a good used OEM ICV is a bonus or 2mAn way of trying to solve one problem a backwards way

Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X