450v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450v

So, I'm building my own version of a 1957 Maserati 450S. Who wants to see the build?

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Um yes...

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Does it involve papier-mâché?

Comment

Me
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No paper mache. Maybe Cardboard Aided Design sometimes.

I started with actual CAD, stretching the 450S body to fit over a Corvette C5 frame.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I liked the way CAD was coming so I committed. Bought a C5 rolling frame and had it shipped to Austin.

Started chopping off things I would not be needing.

Then I used photogrammetry to scan the entire frame, convert to a 3D model and pull into CAD. Added bits like the engine, transmission etc from other CAD models.

Then I used the frame CAD to get proper proportions for the 450V Body.

Next, time to CAD the body buck. Had to learn how to work with 3D meshes so I could pull them into a proper CAD program.

I eventually got a 3D model of the car to interact with virtual plywood. I could "cut" the plywood with the metal body.

After that it was a lot of grunt work to CAD the custom buck. Panel placement and spacing was an art.

After a couple of months working nights and weekends I had a body buck.

Still not done. Next step is taking each buck piece and cutting finger slots so that all the pieces interlock like a puzzle. That took another month. Then, finally, panelize the buck pieces onto 4x8 sheets, add through cut ID labels and export to DXFs. It came out to be 20 sheets.

Now it gets real. Bought 20 sheets of plywood and trucked them to Duncan at Moonlight for waterjet cutting. Why waterjet? Very tight line width and accuracy.

Picked up the cut pieces a week later and started assembly.

The final product

Last but not least, that giant 3500 lb machine in the background is a Pullmax, multi purpose metal working machine. Will be using it to cut and shape aluminum body panels for the car. We're in the middle of replacing its 3 phase 440V motor with a 220V.

​​​​​​​So, there it is.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Crikey moses that escalated quickly. quite the project. i thought the giant machine was an English wheel of sorts, is it a planishing hammer too? looks huge

how much bigger is the end product going to be compared to the original? ie how much did you need to stretch it?

Comment

The giant machine is a Pullmax P8. Combination planishing hammer, cutter, nibbler flanger multi purpose metal working beast extraordinaire. I bought it in Houston and hired a rigger for moving it to my shop in Austin. It will be a large part of the adventure. I need an English Wheel but might make my own.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Wow, yes I am 100% in for this build. Already very impressive, can't wait to watch it unfold.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                  --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

this is fantastic... makes me want to share my other secret project. Nowhere near as awesome as this...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Will it be on youtube?
                      sigpic

Comment

Geez, this will be epic. Definitely following along.
                        Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

I guess I could monetize it on YouTube but I'm more into posting on here, sharing the adventure with a bunch of car guys that "get it".

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I'd rather follow in text/photo format than another YouTube series.

Comment

^This.
                              I'm excited to see the rest of this build.
                              sigpic
                              Currently without an e30. Will probably die soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X