No announcement yet.

'91 318is, 16V swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my setup weighs ~440lbs, with stock heads. Aluminum heads weigh 50+ pounds less.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

If you add up all the numbers on that page you get 307 lbs... but hey, I'll try to remember to weigh everything and take pics, then post em up on my thread.

Comment

Why did you drill holes in your bumper but not cut the valance behind it lol

Comment

According to this guy a 302 with aluminum heads is about 424ish pounds - minus fluids. Aka my setup. I also found a couple of other places on the internet with t5 weights and the spread is around 80lbs to 100lbs wet... so lets be generous with the weight here and say the combo comes in at around 530lbs. If I'm not mistaken I believe I once saw a thread where vorschlag pulled a m20 with a cherry picker that had a built-in scale. With the engine and tranny attached it was sitting at around 490-500lbs if my memory isn't failing me. So... from what I'm gathering here, a 302 has about the same, if not less, of a weight gain as a Mxx/Sxx series swap.

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
            Why did you drill holes in your bumper but not cut the valance behind it lol
            Hmm? It's cut now, and in those last pictures haha.

Go here be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
              But it won't break!
              Very true! :)

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                http://www.britishv8.org/triumph/danmasters.htm

According to this guy a 302 with aluminum heads is about 424ish pounds - minus fluids. Aka my setup. I also found a couple of other places on the internet with t5 weights and the spread is around 80lbs to 100lbs wet... so lets be generous with the weight here and say the combo comes in at around 530lbs. If I'm not mistaken I believe I once saw a thread where vorschlag pulled a m20 with a cherry picker that had a built-in scale. With the engine and tranny attached it was sitting at around 490-500lbs if my memory isn't failing me. So... from what I'm gathering here, a 302 has about the same, if not less, of a weight gain as a Mxx/Sxx series swap.
                Surprising, but I stand corrected.

To save any amount of weight, and stay with a BMW six, I think one would have to jump all the way to an M54 (375lb), which still would only save ~25-50lbs depending on transmission.

/thread jack

Comment

Who the heck cares. Anyway, since Stuart is gone at college, I am taking Gretta to bimmerfest. Well I spent the last 2 hours cleaning and then a quick wax. Still having troubles with the alternator and charging though.

But to all of you who said he ruined the car... well, WRONG! It still cleans up very well.

sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                  Build Thread:
                  Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                  1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                  Rallycross Build Thread.
                  1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Looks like you/someone hammered out the QP/trunk dent. Looks deece in the pictures.

Scary pan clearance though...
                    -Peter
                    '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                    '91 318is slicktop project
                    '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                    '00 Tundra

Comment

Yep! Pulled it a little bit then a tiny bit of bondo. I'm having it pulled out soon so I'll repaint it then.

Go here be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Habla View Post
                        Looks like you/someone hammered out the QP/trunk dent. Looks deece in the pictures.

Scary pan clearance though...
                        Steel pan can take it
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I swithed to a chevy 1 wire alt. seems to charge fine. I got tired of dealing with the stock ford 3g setup. The 1 wire took some trimming down of the alt bracket spacers and the adjuster bracket (its a summit high mount serp setup) but it lines up pretty well now.

Comment

Originally posted by eurotrash View Post
                            I swithed to a chevy 1 wire alt. seems to charge fine. I got tired of dealing with the stock ford 3g setup. The 1 wire took some trimming down of the alt bracket spacers and the adjuster bracket (its a summit high mount serp setup) but it lines up pretty well now.
                            How did you wire the Ford 3G setup? I am not charging but have bimmerfest to drive to tomorrow.
                            sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                            Build Thread:
                            Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                            1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                            Rallycross Build Thread.
                            1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Also, Spencer, you got a few freaking awesome shots in that bunch. Now go piss people off at Bimmerfest.

Go here be happy!

Comment

If i remember right the 2 white wires are connected. I think there was a green wire that runs to a resistored 12v (its the bat light on the mustang) it wont charge from what i read if the resistance isnt right. Black and yellow wire ran to distro block and the other like 10 gauge ran to the hot lead on the starter. Odd thing was it would only charge if it was run to the starter. If i ran it right to the distro block it wouldnt charge. Then it just stopped charging. Not sure if it was wiring or the alt just died.

Comment

Working...
                                X