No announcement yet.

Northern's Sterlingsilber M52 Turbo 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been driving the car fairly infrequently for the past month because it's hard to find an excuse to leave the house while working from home. When I do leave, it usually involves bringing my dog or a third person so I take the subaru.

I've done a few things though.

I checked and adjusted my front toe because even though I had the car aligned a few years ago but I still get terrible toe wear. Measuring tape showed a 1/2" difference between front and back of the tire, measured at ~4:00 and ~8:00 on the tire.
    I evened it out and now the car doesn't seem to want to fling me into a ditch on the highway.

I picked up a spare hood to modify - Trying to cut an airway around the rear of the hood seal to vent some air without a big jesus hole in the hood, and didn't want to ruin the stock hood to try things out. It's probably likely that there's a high pressure region in front of the windscreen, but I hope that if I keep the cuts close enough to the corners, air will exit. Might tape some streamers on here and go for a drive to see how it looks.

I wanted to install a MAP, and there's already a port on the plastic adapter of the turkey neck on the M50 manifold, so all the intake side came off and I reopened that hole for a GM 3 BAR MAP sensor. The first sensor I bought from amazon was super fake, didn't read right, broke apart when I tried to remove the hose, and the connector was trash so I eventually bought a genuine Delphi unit from rockauto.
    I'm still plagued with this trash weatherpack connector and its limp dick pins... Oh, and the bayonet on the connector that came with the knockoff MAP was wrong, so it didn't even plug into the genuine one. Should've just bought a bosch sensor from the start, but I'm invested in this one now...

Initial mounting idea - it didn't stay this way.

When I cleaned up this longblock, I turned the engine upside down and scrubbed out the ports with a brush. 5 years later they're still clean. Only ran the CCV setup for a year before I went to an atmosphere vent for the turbo setup though.

Added two pins back to the ecu for signal and GND. It was like 45 deg in the car because of the heatwave we had, I've never been so hot in my life.

Same day I did the MAP install, I also rewrapped my downpipe with 50' of titanium lava wrap to try to reduce underhood temps. Wrapped the downpipe with ~15' of it.
    Swapped Wastegate spring again to 7.25lb to see if I could lower my boost spike.

I swapped to NGK BKR7E plugs (one step colder than the BKR6E). I think I gapped them to 0.025"

All original Bremi coilpacks still kicking.

Old plugs, not sure how to "read" plugs but if you want to drop the knowledge, go for it. (sorry for not cropping these, flickr refuses to edit them without mirroring and stretching the hell out of them)

Polished the heat shield a bit because it was getting nasty

I replaced the batteries on my SI board. Took forever to get the batteries because they came from Norway, but it was easy to desolder/resolder.

Of course, while I was in there, I wanted to get fancy. I tried to integrate a wideband gauge into my cluster where the check light goes, so I ordered the APSX G1 to retrofit (a la Eurogarage's youtube video) but I didn't understand that it takes a serial input instead of 0-5V analog like any other gauge. I spent two days mucking about with an arduino and still couldn't get it to work.
    Plenty of information out there on what specific signal it supposedly wants, but it refused to work with anything I fed it. Probably going to just gut my LC-1 gauge like I planned in the beginning.

Some sort of error that they don't bother mentioning in their manuals. Likely just "ready but no signal"

Updated to a new version of MS41.3, should have faster logging and should let me use aldldroid to log with my phone.

Still having knock issues, Still likely fuel/compression ratio related. Maybe carbon buildup. Maybe false knock from engine mounts or something loose.
    Stock knock tables are aggressive, so I could relax them if it is false.

I think my way forward is to spend another few revisions seeing if timing/fuel can reduce the knock at all, and if not, spike my fuel with a jug of xylene to bump the octane rating and see if the knock goes away.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My friend Iain took some decent engine bay pics (which make me realize how bad the cosmoline really looks) and I actually took a few pics of the car for once.

Phone doesn't enjoy night shots so much...

Thanks to Iain for these:

Bonus Videos

Youtube link, since it doesn't seem to want to embed properly: https://youtu.be/UNxPF0wrKhE

Comment

Car sounds great in the tunnel! Would you recommend the open wastegate dump? I have been trying to get mine recirculated but I’ve had three shops give me a hard no now. I’m considering running one, even temporarily so I can get a tune in the car. But then I have concerns about a re-tune after recirculating... the list goes on lol

Comment

Plugs look good to me, colour seems about right for a boosted car, although as you no doubt are aware that only gives an indication of the general tune.
          Quite pink on the ceramic, I think that means your fuel has lots of additives, though I'm not 100% on that.
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
            Car sounds great in the tunnel! Would you recommend the open wastegate dump? I have been trying to get mine recirculated but I’ve had three shops give me a hard no now. I’m considering running one, even temporarily so I can get a tune in the car. But then I have concerns about a re-tune after recirculating... the list goes on lol
            If it is legal/will pass inspections where you live, I 100% recommend it lol. It sounds absolutely barbaric when the wastegate opens, but if you want to drive around like a normal human, it's nice and quiet. Not sure what the impact on boost levels are, but I know a lot of 24v manifolds have boost creep to some extent and open dump vs recirc might impact that somehow.

Originally posted by econti View Post
            Plugs look good to me, colour seems about right for a boosted car, although as you no doubt are aware that only gives an indication of the general tune.
            Quite pink on the ceramic, I think that means your fuel has lots of additives, though I'm not 100% on that.
            Gas here is notoriously crappy, 91 is the highest octane you can get at any pump and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was chock full of additives.

Comment

I’m in Texas so pretty lawless as far as older vehicles go... I appreciate the feedback! I figure I’ll just run with it and worst case scenario plumb it if need be. It’s pretty nice that you can seem domestic cruising around town without attracting attention. Self control is also a big factor lol.

Digging the evolution of this car, it’s very unsuspecting.

Comment

Thanks! I like that I've managed to keep the exterior reasonably stock looking, but I really need to do some bodywork at some point soon...

Small updates:

I made a new spreadsheet to compare timing maps, resulting knock, and update my timing map with the info. I think it has helped me start to dial my timing in.
                With the 7.25lb spring, and timing adjustments over the past bit, I'm down to a maximum of 1.5 degrees of timing being pulled at WOT (down from like 7 at one point)

Car pulls nice, drives nice but has a few quirky spots in the fuel map still that I need to work on (Example: If I am idling and continuously stab/release the brake, load jumps up a bit and it goes very lean. My idle point is between 4 cells and I think the lower cells are too rich/the upper cells are too lean, so I'll slowly shift them until it works right.)

I'm curious to know what the car makes for power but it's hard to judge. It topped out at 1002mg/stk load and 1150kg/hr of airflow, which is not quite double a stock M52. I've thrown pulls in virtual dyno but it seems far too optimistic.
                I also made a calculated column in megalogviewerHD for estimated HP based on MAF*0.3472 but it also seems like 25% high. I imagine I'm in the 300hp neighborhood just from the ~0.5bar

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  ...I also made a calculated column in megalogviewerHD for estimated HP based on MAF*0.3472 but it also seems like 25% high....
                  Dont forget to multiply this by 0.8-0.85 to take into account drivetrain losses

RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                    Dont forget to multiply this by 0.8-0.85 to take into account drivetrain losses
                    It's saying 395hp@6509 and 325 ftlb @ 5800.
                    at 0.8 that's still 316whp, but I'm just skeptical of it adding that much from just 7psi.

Comment

Yeah, seems pretty high. Quick estimate; saw a dyno of an M52B28 with M50 manifold and a tune and it was 196whp, 7psi of boost so 1.48 atmospheres of manifold pressure; 290whp/322hp. Drivetrain loss estimated by typical stock M20 dyno numbers (150whp) at ~11%.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

^ does an M52 reach atmospheric at WOT in NA form?

Definitely an optimistic number either way.

Comment

Used my gopro for the first time in years. Here's a quick 1 minute video with an engine bay mic:
                          (also I'm still overboosting to ~11psi...)

Last edited by Northern; 11-06-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

loving the build! will you have hectic pops & bangs when you're done? :P
                            RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

yes, at least 12 pops and 3 bangs.

I will share them with all the kids who post "pls gib popcorn tuen" on romraider, so that they can go on to drive noise legislation in a more restrictive direction in their locale.

Comment

Been a while since last update, nothing crazy to report.

started running VP Octanium octane booster with my crappy 91 AKI gas and it seems to have a good effect on knock.
                                I'm not sure how quickly the octane rating decays as the car sits, but I had zero knock under boost for the first few weeks and now I'm up to 1 degree at times.
                                Might be something else, but I think for this specific application, this specific octane booster does work.

I've been trying to diagnose a clunk in the rear, seems to be from one side of the back. I went under and checked everything a few times and I found the subframe mounts were loose? I managed to get 2+ turns before I reached spec. They're garagistic riser mounts FWIW, not sure if they deform over time or if I simply forgot to torque them last time I installed the subframe.
                                The driveshaft (or trans?) also seems to have some sort of play, but I don't want to drop exhaust/heat shields to mess with it right now.

Other than that, I found nothing wrong back there other than that my rear Koni Sports (top adjust mustang) had un-adjusted themselves? I only checked that because the rear seemed bouncy.
                                I set them both to 1 turn from full soft and it's much less bouncy now, but I might try another 0.5 turns and see how it goes.

Here's an engine bay pic because it's been a while

Comment

Working...
                                X