Northern's Sterlingsilber M52 Turbo 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by econti View Post
    How do you like the Nankangs? Thinking something like that for a steer tyre for my e36
    Can't say yet, I didn't even test fit them, they're still taking up space in my basement. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see how they fit in April/May. The widths on the front will likely be a problem, but we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Is that a Tial MV-S? 1.5" output tubing?

Where did you source that flex section of pipe? I've been looking for a set of them for when (if?) I recirculate my gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Is that a Tial MV-S? 1.5" output tubing?

Where did you source that flex section of pipe? I've been looking for a set of them for when (if?) I recirculate my gates.
        MVR and the tubing I think is 2". Instead of fitting in the recess of the vband, it is basically flush with the OD of the non-clamp surface on the vband flange (if that makes any sense lol).

Here's the link to the flex, which helps the 2" theory

Comment

...And the pipe for the turbine housing was 1.5" Schd 10 T304 SS from Vibrant + a flange also from ebay.

Comment

I know I already posted wheels and tires on the last page, but I found something on facebook marketplace I couldn't pass up.

The exact same 15x8 ET25 Konig Dekagrams that I bought (except in black and ceramic coated) wrapped in 225/50R15 Toyo R888Rs with a handful of km on them.

The guy selling them had them mounted on a late 325i cabrio. Front fitment had a lot of poke, but I'm hoping camber plates and more roll/pull will make these fit.

The price was the same as a new set of R888R plus mount&balance. A couple nicks on the shoulder from clearance issues, but I still think it was a steal.

Here's a comparison shot of E30 diameter 225/50R15 R888R vs Miata diameter 245/40R15 CR-1 (now called CR-S)

Overall the CR-1 are barely wider than the R888R, but the tread is much more square.
            Funny how much difference the ~5% diameter undersize makes.

Edit: Tacking a knee update onto this.
            I've been doing physio twice a week since the new year and it's come a long way.
            Probably 60-70% recovered now. Not quite the extension of the other, and only 130deg max bend, but that's still a massive improvement.
            I can walk with only the slightest limp, I can do stairs up & down (down took a long time).
            I switched from a knee brace to just a cheap knee compression sleeve a few weeks back, and ditched the sleeve last week.
            I can't carry/lift anything or crawl under a car, but I've been getting some stuff done around the house.

Garage still planned for April, site prep isn't as progressed as I thought it would be, but I still have time.
            Last edited by Northern; 02-02-2023, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              I've been doing physio twice a week since the new year and it's come a long way.
              Probably 60-70% recovered now. Not quite the extension of the other, and only 130deg max bend, but that's still a massive improvement.
              Glad you're taking the physio seriously. Makes a big difference in long-term mobility if you keep up with the exercises.
              Ultimately it will allow you to keep enjoying your hobbies which is pretty good motivation.

Comment

2 weekends back, I drove the car for the first time in two years. It started up fine but needs a lot of love.

Battery was toast from the Tender's GFCI outlet tripping at some point around the time I grenaded my knee.
                It was so flat that the tender didn't even recognize there was a battery attached once I reset it.
                I bought the finest (read:cheapest) Canadian Tire Group 26 battery since they're short enough to fit under the battery cover/tray thing.

A few notes:
                • The chrome/blue ebay shifter is awful, like an inch of travel, super notchy. It's not fun, not fuhraze, just feels like crap. I need to make an effort to replace this with any longer throw OEM setup.
                • The clutch is far too heavy and travel is too short. More on this below...
                • Updated tune is exceptionally lean off-idle. I think this was my fault.
                • WG vacuum still not plumbed up after last year's WG change.
                • Diff still needs pinion bearings.

Clutch - For background, I'm running a ZF320 with an FX Stage 3 clutch/flywheel. That clutch is just a Sachs E36M3 one, so no excuse for that to be extra heavy.
                I think the issue is that I have an e36 328i slave (20mm diameter) instead of an M3 slave (22mm diameter) so that's like a 21% difference in force (and I suppose pedal travel).
                I'll be ordering an M3 slave unless someone knows of a >22mm version.

Fuel map stuff - Latest MS41.3 update I received a year back removed the need to load halve all the tables, I guess it alters the values behind the scene somehow.
                That means I needed to port all my maps in Excel, and took the opportunity to add a column to to bring my idle area back closer to stock, but probably messed up a bit.
                The ECU also has an AFR table and will take a wideband input for STFTs now, but I didn't set that up.

On a sad note, the guy behind the MS41.3 project (Shake, aka mrf582) recently passed away suddenly after he released a public version for purchase.
                One of the guys who helped is working on a free release of this firmware now, I'll probably make a post about it when that is sorted out.
                Last edited by Northern; 04-25-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Clutch - For background, I'm running a ZF320 with an FX Stage 3 clutch/flywheel. That clutch is just a Sachs E36M3 one, so no excuse for that to be extra heavy.
                  I think the issue is that I have an e36 328i slave (20mm) instead of an M3 slave (22mm) so that's like a 21% difference in force (and I suppose pedal travel).
                  I'll be ordering an M3 slave unless someone knows of a >22mm version.
                  I wasn't aware there was a difference between the 328i & M3 slaves on the ZF320.

If the M3 slave is longer (for the same pedal travel, and same required travel of the clutch fork) wouldn't it increase the pedal effort if you swap it in?

You'd be moving the clutch fork faster for the same speed of your foot as the M3 slave has longer to travel?
                  So your foot would have to move slower to achieve the same slave speed and this would make the engagement window even smaller?

Or am I looking at this incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                    If the M3 slave is longer [...]
                    I wasn't clear, sorry. Updated the above to clarify that it's diameter. So the M3 slave piston diameter is 2mm larger so the area is 380mm^2 vs 314mm^2 for the 328i.

I was not aware until I drove the car that day after driving the mini for 2 years, and it clicked that a stock pressure plate shouldn't feel that stiff.
                    I read before that the two Slaves were different, I just didn't know how until this prompted me to do some sleuthing.

Comment

I have the 22.2mm slave cylinder in my E34, the clutch pedal is still really heavy with my twin disc clutch. The E34 540i slave cylinder has a 27mm bore. I don't see how it would disengages fully with the 19mm master but the 540i and 525i share that master and a release fork so the pressure plate must have a different motion ratio.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

I wasn't clear, sorry. Updated the above to clarify that it's diameter. So the M3 slave piston diameter is 2mm larger so the area is 380mm^2 vs 314mm^2 for the 328i.
                        Ah gotcha.

Seems like I need to add this to my list of wants.
                        Spec Stage 3+ and 7.5lb flywheel make for a very tricky clutch pedal, and the engagement window is absolutely tiny with the 328i slave.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I have the 22.2mm slave cylinder in my E34, the clutch pedal is still really heavy with my twin disc clutch. The E34 540i slave cylinder has a 27mm bore. I don't see how it would disengages fully with the 19mm master but the 540i and 525i share that master and a release fork so the pressure plate must have a different motion ratio.
                          I didn't know about that 27mm slave. I stewed over this a bit yesterday and I like the idea.
                          1.8x the area of the 20mm. I think there's enough travel for that?

^ This makes it sound like a no-go, but E46 SAC != E36M3 clutch and a 6-puck. High risk, low reward to be a guinea pig.
                          Also found a guy who took a Porsche 944 24mm slave and milled out a 22mm unit to accept the 944 guts, but that's a little extreme.

Comment

Alright, the MS4x Tuning discord pulled through on this one.

Apparently Part No 21522282056 off some specific variant of E39 M5 is 24mm with identical exterior features to the others in this thread.

Comment

Alright, the MS4x Tuning discord pulled through on this one.
                              Apparently Part No 21522282056 off some specific variant of E39 M5 is 24mm with identical exterior features to the others in this thread.
                              So you're going to try this one out? Please let us know how it works for you.

Comment

Yeah I'm going to give it a shot and will report back. The guy said he used it while trying to make a UUC clutch setup work and apparently it fits and worked.
                                Hopefully that holds true with my setup as well.

Everything is waiting on the garage build. I refuse to take anything apart in case it doesn't go back together, and I'm not buying anything until I have a final build cost.
                                It should've started last month but was delayed by the property line setback variance getting approved by the city, and now the contractor is waiting on permits.
                                Bracing for this to be a long evolution...

Comment

Working...
                                X