No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realized I never added the weight of my car. It came in at 2994, a little heavier than expected but not too bad considering, I have Cats, the E36 M3 exhaust is heavy, I have the larger group battery, additional sound deadening and a sub in the trunk. On top of that the E38 Style 5s with 225s on them while not heavy are definitely heavier than the stock wheel and tires. Also have much larger brakes, even though they are light, they are still heavier than the stock E30s. The balance is pretty good though at 50%!

Can anyone tell me why my sig is no longer showing? It was yesterday after the change and I checked it's still in there and the box is checked but for some reason, I am not seeing it on posts.(Update, hmm they are showing again, so odd)

Last edited by Staszek; 08-09-2019, 09:52 AM.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Here are a couple of driving vids. I will get more with the go pro. The wife is driving in both. Ummmmm yea she needs to look at the tach lol she ran it up to about 8200 RPM (my rev limit is lifted) scared me! Side note I love that we can embed videos in the new software!!

Comment

nice drive... bet you were "white knuckling" while she was driving your car... lol
        what's your stereo set up, Stan? Is it in your build somewhere? I need to freshen mine up
        this winter.

CAPP.. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cptcarisma View Post
          nice drive... bet you were "white knuckling" while she was driving your car... lol
          what's your stereo set up, Stan? Is it in your build somewhere? I need to freshen mine up
          this winter.

CAPP.. :-)
          Well you may be in luck if you are interested. I will be selling off the entire audio set sometime in Oct. I have a refurbished CM5908 on the way with bluetooth connected back to the factory amp and brand new premium speakers, with a powered sub. Trying to get the interior to look period as possible.

What I have now which probably sounds better then what I am putting in, is a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS headunit which you can pretty much match the colors exact if you have hours to play with it (amber out of the box is close). I have Polk DB 5 1/4" components with crossovers in the original E30 premium speaker housings in the rear, in the front I have the same components, the drivers are in the kick panel (oem spot) and the tweeters are in the premium tweeter sails, I removed the OE tweeters and put these inside the housing, so everything looks stock.

On Page 4 and 11 there ae some pics. I am running a Rockford 500W (forget the model number) 5 channel amp to power all the components and also a Pioneer TS-SWX2502 shallow mount 10" sub in the trunk.

That entire set I will be selling together in one piece speakers in the housings etc to recoup the cost for the 5908 (more expensive refurbed with BT than anything lol).
          Last edited by Staszek; 08-10-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            If the scales are just on concrete floor you can probably set that number aside till you can get them on level stands.

The fat battery does though help keep that 5050 cross weight.

Do you have half tank and driver weight?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

If the scales are just on concrete floor you can probably set that number aside till you can get them on level stands.

The fat battery does though help keep that 5050 cross weight.

Do you have half tank and driver weight?
              Yea it’s on the floor at the shop. Pretty level floor though. That is with no driver and about 1/4 tank.

Comment

^Odd, 146lbs heavier than my E30 S54, but I have 55/45 F/R bias. I do have trunk tar removed, 5 lug bbk, Z4M 6 speed (longer), and Lukebox, Maats Pro 3 sub, and 2 amps....

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                  ^Odd, 146lbs heavier than my E30 S54, but I have 55/45 F/R bias. I do have trunk tar removed, 5 lug bbk, Z4M 6 speed (longer), and Lukebox, Maats Pro 3 sub, and 2 amps....
                  I think its all the little stuff that adds up. I put sound deading through the whole interior, underneath the carpet, thats probably a min of another 50pds. I have a full size E38 Style 5 spare and tire, probably another 50pds, Your luke box and amp are heavier then my sub and amp so maybe that gives back 20pds, but I have all my tar so that probably is the same. So I would say that is 100pds right there.

Not sure what battery you have but mine is damn heavy E36 size battery that barely fits in the tray. Your exhaust setup is definitely lighter than mine I think that is the majority of the extra weight.The E36 M3 exhaust weighs 55pds and I am using stock E46 M3 section one piping, so I think that is why my balance is better.

I am also running a booster, and ABS which adds a little more weight but not a ton.

Comment

Running abs and heavy style 42s, but my weight bias has always been as bad as an audi, even with my old s52. Time to get the lead into the rear under the spare tire area.

Comment

Running abs and heavy style 42s, but my weight bias has always been as bad as an audi, even with my old s52. Time to get the lead into the rear under the spare tire area.
                      Did you reinforce anything on the rear? I have Garagistic reinforced subframe as well as reinforced trailing arms. Do you have a spare, I mean my spare and exhaust is 100 pds right there, also which BBK do you have in the rear again? Im running 310mm disc, not sure if yours are the same size or bigger.

Also what happened to your BBS RS???

Comment

Adjustable rear end, not yet roll center adjustable like DTM, subframe not reinforced. I would like to use lightweight trailing arms, but no, not reinforced yet. No spare. Rear is Massives adapter with parking brake ring, and Wilwood Forged Superlite (not narrow), 310mm as well I believe for the rear.

The BBS RS's are still sitting in protective covers. Maybe 100mi on them for the last 4 years. Only have been brought out for 2 cars and coffee events. I need to sell them.

Comment

Adjustable rear end, not yet roll center adjustable like DTM, subframe not reinforced. I would like to use lightweight trailing arms, but no, not reinforced yet. No spare. Rear is Massives adapter with parking brake ring, and Wilwood Forged Superlite (not narrow), 310mm as well I believe for the rear.

The BBS RS's are still sitting in protective covers. Maybe 100mi on them for the last 4 years. Only have been brought out for 2 cars and coffee events. I need to sell them.
                          I also forgot that I have a pretty heavy MDF board screwed to the back of the seats. The PO used it to mount a 15" sub through the trunk and his amps. It was nicely carpeted, and besides screwed it was glued to the damn car so I left it. That probably adds close to the luke box weight (not all but some since it spans the whole trunk).

My whole rear was reinforced, also I dont have superlights in the rear (at least I dont think) and stock ebrake.

Anyway I wrote you about your RS :)

Comment

A small update, Bradnic convinced me to go Period Correct inside with a CM5908, he didnt have to twist my arm, I really did want it to look more original. THe only problem is if you followed this from the beginning the PO hacked up the electronics in this car pretty bad. I was pretty scared the harness would be completely gone.

Well it wasnt as bad as I thought. IT was hacked up but repairable. The wiring at the OEM amp was good ,so was the wiring at the speakers, he just wired around them and didnt pull them out.

He did hack up the harness at the radio, but most of it was still there so it could be fixed.

Pulled the seats to give me some room and to remove the speaker wires and RCAs that were run. Fixed an old Macbook now I have a nice garage computer to watch stuff on while I work.
                            ]

Here is the harness, if it wasnt for Bradnic stopping by Im not sure if I would have figured out exactly what I needed to prepare.

Put back the premium oe speakers, these were in really good shape so I left them, the front has brand new speakers and OE tweeters.

And we have power! I havent had a chance to hook up the speakers I need the fader part but its a start. Once I get the fader adapter I will update.

Oh btw I will put together another post, the entire other system is for sale. Will this one sound better, probably not, but it will look cooler.

Comment

I have the fader if you still need one Stan.
                              Did you weigh your car at a local shop?
                              And I changed out my 10 year old Alpine HU for the Kenwood KDC X502, which offers great sound along with the ability to set the illumination to red-orange, which is a very close match to the OE lighting. I never really cared for the controls on the Alpine either. The sound deadening is worth the time/money for sure, as it not only cuts road noise, but helps the audio sound superb also.

Comment

• Staszek
                                Staszek commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Im sure my Pioneer will sound better than this one but I love the look of the old school deck. I dont need the fader switch this headunit is four channel, I just need the adapter wire which I ordered.

It was weighed at the shop that did a lot of the finish work on my swap.

Staszek glad I could help!

Your wiring wasn't as bad as we feared thank goodness, but the headunit ends were definitely missing, along with the 61101388934 2 to 4 channel adapter for your rear speakers. We found all your original wiring and were able to terminate them correctly, WITHOUT removing your harness or rewiring your car - super cool! Key to getting the speaker wiring sorted was the C243 fader connector. Even the dimmer grey/red wire was still there which was great to see. jaysterling harness kit gave us the bits we didn't have on hand. The late model radio with sound system schematic was key (radio wiring thread here)

Meh on an aftermarket Pioneer sounding better. A properly repaired 5908 and premium amp combined the factory speaker setup and your powered sub will sound fantastic.
                              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X