No announcement yet.

M60b40 powered Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its funny how so many people have memory with an old Volvo 240.

and yes all 4 240s I have had have had all smell the same, but so do e30s to me
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Sweet build. Looking great, I love the new interior
      1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Really nice work on this so far.

Going back over this thread I noticed something... What is this switch on the shift knob? is it some kind of reverse lock out switch?

Originally posted by FireFight View Post

1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Lektrik overdrive, isn't it?

Comment

The black thing in the middle of the shifter is reverse lock out, the switch on the shifter is electronic overdrive that actually still works
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Damn, this swap is growing on me. Should be fun.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Not much has changed on the M50 front, back before I cared about getting a e36 donor, they where plentiful at the auction, now I need one it's as dry as a 90 lady.

But I have been working on the looks of the car

This was the shitty antenna

It was motorized but didn't work, and assumed it leaked

New stationary antenna

I also found a e34 wide grill front fits in the trunk.....kinda

I started to get the style 5s on

the stock lugs where to long for the adapters

Cut those down

Torqued down to spec, annoyingly I didn't find out I was missing a lug nut until after the blue parts car left my house, so I have a new one coming today

Next for shits and giggles and because I still have a can of krylon stained glass spray I changed up the high beams

Before

After

Next I need to tackle the fender gap looming over the BBS wheels.
                I'm building custom coilovers, fronts are Saab inserts which I will shorten the housing 2", A1 racing sleeves and perches, Kaplhenke sleeve perches, and I made some custom adapters so the Saab inserts work with the Volvo mounts

The rear are mk4 golf rear adjusters, Allstar performance 2.5" to 5" coil spring adapters, Chevy shocks, 8"X5" 300lbs/inch springs I got off summit. I also need to make my panhard rod and track rods adjustable so I keep my rear end centered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I want to see this happen! I kind of miss my 240 when I see one around but I kind of don't because it was rusty, bent, and equipped with an engine that could take as much boost as I could throw at it but transmissions that were made of cheese and a rear end that would be a ticking time bomb if I actually had traction. A BMW drivetrain in a Volvo 240 seems like a good idea, the stock drivetrain is weak from the transmission back, and a 24V BMW I6 isn't really that much heavier than the durable lump of cast iron that is the redblock. Are you going to put an Explorer rear end in it?

Just remember when chasing your wheel gap that your Volvo 240 will never actually look low because of the high rockers, unless you actually lower it so much that the crossmember and body are constantly dragging on the ground. Every low 240 I've ever seen has been for all intents and purposes undriveable.
                  Last edited by varg; 06-06-2017, 06:57 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Love it, reminds me of the 240 wagon I once bought as a summer project
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I have an awesome running/driving OBD2 328 that would make a perfect donor car if you can get to Indiana ;)
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        I want to see this happen! I kind of miss my 240 when I see one around but I kind of don't because it was rusty, bent, and equipped with an engine that could take as much boost as I could throw at it but transmissions that were made of cheese and a rear end that would be a ticking time bomb if I actually had traction. A BMW drivetrain in a Volvo 240 seems like a good idea, the stock drivetrain is weak from the transmission back, and a 24V BMW I6 isn't really that much heavier than the durable lump of cast iron that is the redblock. Are you going to put an Explorer rear end in it?

Just remember when chasing your wheel gap that your Volvo 240 will never actually look low because of the high rockers, unless you actually lower it so much that the crossmember and body are constantly dragging on the ground. Every low 240 I've ever seen has been for all intents and purposes undriveable.

The explorer rear end is the plan down the road, the main reason I haven't jumped on it yet is I just got the wheels on and my understanding is you will now be a ford bolt pattern.

Yeah I'm It looking to slam it by any means, right now I have a good amount of clearance, I'm only looking ~2 inches lower if even that.

Small updates

Got these in the mail, wanted to get rid of the roundel off the style 5s

A little bit of super weather strip adhesive, they are sticky on the back side, but it can't hurt

I also was talking to a buddy about his m60 swap e30 and my plans for this car when a thought came to my mind, if I'm gonna be doing a decent amount fabricating, I wonder how much harder a m60b40 would be.

While looking around for a build thread on that(there are very few) I found this

These are from Sweden, from the info I was able to translate over, with these mounts it clears the brake booster and they don't say anything about needing to modify the oil pan. I have emailed the company that makes them to see if they ship to the states

Plans may have changed.....

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

The explorer rear end is the plan down the road, the main reason I haven't jumped on it yet is I just got the wheels on and my understanding is you will now be a ford bolt pattern.

Yeah I'm It looking to slam it by any means, right now I have a good amount of clearance, I'm only looking ~2 inches lower if even that.

Small updates

Got these in the mail, wanted to get rid of the roundel off the style 5s

A little bit of super weather strip adhesive, they are sticky on the back side, but it can't hurt

I also was talking to a buddy about his m60 swap e30 and my plans for this car when a thought came to my mind, if I'm gonna be doing a decent amount fabricating, I wonder how much harder a m60b40 would be.

While looking around for a build thread on that(there are very few) I found this

These are from Sweden, from the info I was able to translate over, with these mounts it clears the brake booster and they don't say anything about needing to modify the oil pan. I have emailed the company that makes them to see if they ship to the states

Plans may have changed.....

Ohhhh nice!! I love my M62 in my E38, M60 is such a great engine and much more reliable, how much does the 240 weigh?
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            Ohhhh nice!! I love my M62 in my E38, M60 is such a great engine and much more reliable, how much does the 240 weigh?

It should be fun, the company in Sweden has emailed me back and said they will ship to the USA!

Weight is around 3000lbs

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

It should be fun, the company in Sweden has emailed me back and said they will ship to the USA!

Weight is around 3000lbs

Nice! That car will be awesome with that engine!
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Lets make a M50 powered Volvo 240

Finally fixed a problem that has bugged me since I got this car

Missing trim.
                                Seems that most 240s either have no trim here factory, it's sticky not a clip on style. Luckily I found a car at the yard same year and model

Another thing I disliked about the car is how open it was under the bumper

These metal bumpers early, later they went to a plastic bumper with a lip. I was unsure if the late lip would fit, but at the yard I found a metal bumper car with a lip

Mocked it up and marked and drilled the appropriate holes.

Much better

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                                92 525it 5 speed.
                                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
                                X