M60b40 powered Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    It's crazy that somebody out there already makes those. Sooo Swedish.

Those damn Swedes build some crazy cars, he offers a lot on his site, m50 in a 740 mounts, werid engines I haven't heard of in 240sx.

A m50 in a 740 might be next down the road

Här hittar du ASS motorsport produkter. Vi tillverkar motorfästen och växellådsbalkar för swap. Även bromsadaptrar och mycket annat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FireFight; 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM.
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

M60 SWAP THE WORLD!!

Welcome to the M60 Mafia!

One of us, One of us, One of us, One of us.........
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
        M60 SWAP THE WORLD!!

Welcome to the M60 Mafia!

One of us, One of us, One of us, One of us.........

Hahah I'm excited, of corse when I wanted a m50 all I could find was m60 cars, now that I'm in the market for a m60 its all 525i and 325i. Never fails.

Well here are the updates.
        I was able to get a used flywheel and slightly used clutch assembly from a guy from bimmer forums for $110, screaming deal, but my buddy with the 530i transmission is being weird about selling it all of a sudden.

Also I replaced the clutch in the Volvo, what a huge pain in the ass! The transmission is cast iron....... Not cast aluminum, fucking iron hahah. So heavy!
        And they don't just go straight in, you have to put them up rotated 90 degrees so the starter bump is faced down, then once up you rotate it while the tip of the input shaft is in the disc.

Never again.

But I was able to get the front even on the coilovers

All together the front lip is about 6 inches from the ground, it's stiff suspension but not even close to bottoming out. I'm right in the middle of the sleeve so I have 3" of adjustment in either way, but I wanted about a finger of clearance between he fender arch and the tire.

Another little task is getting rid of the sealed beams

Got good high quality Hella with "off-road" h4 bulbs so they are 80/100 watt.

As well as I finally got around to putting in the new heated seat switches

And finally the tie rods where looking alittle beat so I swapped them out with good German parts

Now I am tackling The rear coilovers, my goal is to keep the same fender clearance so it will take be much lowering. I picked up some poly bushing and bought a press to build a adjustable panhard rod so I can keep the rear end centered. Then I will build adjustable torque rods to center the wheel to the fender arch.

I would be driving it this week but I have been chasing brake line issues every night, between seized fittings to someone swapping out lines with standard lines causing cross threading, it's been a nightmare.
        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
        92 525it 5 speed.
        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

i love this thing. I always saw these at the local pool when I was a kid.
          Paynemw
          1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
          the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
          1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
            i love this thing. I always saw these at the local pool when I was a kid.

Thanks, they are all over the place here in the PNW, super easy to find parts for them

Mounts ordered

Flywheel and clutch kit ordered

And my 530i trans is getting dropped off this weekend

The puzzle is almost complete

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

So stoked. I'm bouncing back between here and Turbobricks to see which gets updated first.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                So stoked. I'm bouncing back between here and Turbobricks to see which gets updated first.
                its oddly getting more attention on here haha.
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

This is one hell of an interesting project and I - AM - SUBSCRIBED!
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                  Instagram.com/garageaholic
                  Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I'm really excited to see this materialize. That Swedish fab shop seems like a really good business!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Thanks guys

Well we have obtained the 530i 5 speed set up. Just need a clutch kit, then one that I was given is pretty worn.
                      I also got a press so I can build a adjustable panhard. Which is the thing keeping me from building the rear coilovers.
                      So that should be started with in the week

Last edited by FireFight; 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM.
                      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                      92 525it 5 speed.
                      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Lets make a M60* powered Volvo 240

Adjustable panhard

Basically when you lower a solid axle car the pan hard will push the axle to one side. So more strain on u joints and possible rubbing on one quarter panel.
                        I pushed the pan hard as high up as it would go and measured the distance. This will be my minimum length.

Pull the pan hard

One bushing I was able to press out, the other ripped and I had to burn it out

Next i did a relief cut to the putter sleeve, then was able to pop them out

Next I sanded all the undercoating off

Next I cut on the side that I will be making it adjustable

I cut about this much out of it.
                        Next the plan was to weld in 3/4" threaded rod on to the short side and a nut on the other, this would have only cost $9, but a good customer of mine dropped these off at my work today

One side is threaded normal and the other is reverse, so I will be able
                        To adjust the length while it's totally installed.

Welded the sleeve on the short side, and a nut on the other. This allows the panhard to either go longer than stock or shorter than stock. Once the axle is centered with the suspension under load, I lock the jam nuts.

Painted

Poly

All done.

Last edited by FireFight; 07-11-2017, 07:38 AM.
                        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Here is how I did rear coilovers;
                          Looking though different Volvo builds, I have seen how some people do it, try to get a standard 2.5" coilovers spring to work with the 5" upper spring perch. But this never seems to work out.
                          After doing some digging on different circle track sites I found an adapter plate that goes from the 2.5" spring perch to a 5" spring, I also found the rear mk4 spring perches bolts on like a Volvo. I was able to get 5" coilovers springs from summit

First I removed the stock spring

Next I bolted on the VW adjustable spring perch

Next the spring adapter

Then I put in the spring, with the shock removed, there is plenty of room to toss the spring in with out compressing it.
                          Then I cut the bump stops

To prevent the suspension of going full droup and the shorter spring fall, and to not blow out shocks I had to run shorter shocks.
                          Most seem to go for a s10 front shock for the rears, but when I looked at the difference, between the stock and that recommended shock, the difference wasn't enough. I found that shocks from a c10 rwd fronts are shorter

Two things need to be changed, the upper mount eyelet is slight to big, KYB offered adapter kits for cheap

The thinnest one goes on the upper mount bolt

The lower sleeve is too short, so I swapped the lower bushing and sleeve

Those now can be installed.
                          Next I installed my panhard bar and adjusted it to center the rear axle

Nothing but bad pics on that.

Here is a picture of the suspension with out load

And here is it loaded

The shocks don't let the axle go down enough to to let the the spring fall out, but I still have a good amount of suspension travel and feels nice and comfortable.
                          I still need to build adjustable torque rods and bring the wheels forward.
                          Here's before and after with both coilovers

Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                          92 525it 5 speed.
                          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Looking good, cant wait to see it doing a smoky burnout
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wow man, looking good!!
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Really cool build, you are doing great work!
                                1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                                2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                                2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Working...
                                X