Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ba114 View Post

Nah didnt get a chance to unfortunately, each time i popped down you seemed pretty occupied.
    It was my first time entering a judged event like this. My car certainly wasnt in the condition they were expecting...
    Ahh, you're the turbo guy!

That setup looked pretty fierce, must be a chuckle. I am in the inner south, would be interesting to see it more
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Nice work Burkey - must have been have good to have the car out.

Ah - concourse guys.... they’re a funny breed :) I agree on the fogs - I have them on my car because I like the look of them, but I haven’t ever bothered wiring them up and don’t have the dash switch for them.

Even on my e92 the fogs are pretty pathetic and I never bother turning them on - the main headlights are more than adequate.

You might have been better off taking the low mileage jap spec 318i you’ve been storing by the sounds of it!
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post

Ahh, you're the turbo guy!

That setup looked pretty fierce, must be a chuckle. I am in the inner south, would be interesting to see it more
        I didnt realise you had to moved to Canberra! would be very keen to check this out more at some point
        RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Reporting in... car running well. Nice to drive it around.
          Draws quite a lot of attention, had a handful of offers. One of which really has me thinking.

I had a cluster made in the style of an E46 M3 and after ~1100km now I can confirm it's no good at night.

It looks cool in daytime, but the gauge face doesnt allow enough light pass through the numbers and there simply isnt enough contrast between light grey and white at night for the flood lighting from the bottom.
          Kind of back to the drawing board on that... Might change to black face / orange numbers

My spare wheel arrived, finally. NTM forgot to make the 5th one... so that took a while and here we are.
          Out with the BBS LM spare (🤷‍♂️) and in with the correct style

also put my old roof racks on it, which makes it much more convenient as a "daily" :)

and lastly I put the bonnet insulation in... had been holding off because it looks better without it... but it does make it quieter!

I think it's the Magnaflow cat section causing it, but the exhaust has a bit too much rasp at about 3k under load which I am not hugely a fan of, and the insulation helped damp that a bit.

Overall, just a nice thing to get around in. Very glad I got so much of it clear wrapped, makes it much less concerning about following cars for stone chips etc

a little overboard on image saturation on these ones... :)

doggo in the back is not such a hot idea but on occasions.. why not

cheers
          88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Getting use out of it 🙌😎

2mAn - this is the spot for the shoot.

Comment

Looks like great E30 trips and activity’s happening! How many miles now on the New E30?

Have you thought about sound deadening in the trunk?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Don't sell it after all this work.
                RE the rasp, look into a Helmholtz resonator.
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

2mAn - this is the spot for the shoot.
                  Have you seen this months Car of the Month? Only this car is worthy of following it up... Will you be ready for May?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    Looks like great E30 trips and activity’s happening! How many miles now on the New E30?

Have you thought about sound deadening in the trunk?

Hey thanks, yes it's fulfilling life as a daily right now. Not that daily actually means much when you don't commute for work.
                    Got 1112km on it now.

I did think about the floor, but I didnt because of two reasons:
                    1) i spent about 3 solid days in the boot with a wire wheel, sandpaper and etc to smooth out every surface. Then painter spent the same attention on exterior in there... So i want to see it :). the boot floor is actually clear wrapped.... 😂
                    2) the seat back, wheel wells and rear deck are heavily deadened, done with the the idea that the boot floor would be clear. I think the NVH resulting is pretty well controlled. Can drive on a wet road and not hear anything. Can't hear rain on the roof either

Originally posted by econti View Post
                    Don't sell it after all this work.
                    RE the rasp, look into a Helmholtz resonator.
                    Need to do something, it's actually from about 2500-2700rpm. In the scheme of things pretty minor but it's an NVH thing a modern car has tuned out.
                    Considering having some custom headers made, so they would be made with that dimpled aluminum heat / sound insulation stuff.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Have you seen this months Car of the Month? Only this car is worthy of following it up... Will you be ready for May?
                    Quite possibly, the shoot planned for Friday is for Performance BMW. So, I will take my own pics alongside the photogs because obviously there's IP in his work and those pics have a purpose beyond a web forum :) Being shot on a Fujifilm GFX100s medium format too... Unlimited 'zoom and enhance' opps 🤣 Will get his opinion. Maybe he can shoot me a couple of pics just for me. I believe its the first standard engine BMW in "Performance" BMW, A word that is absolutely the furthest thing from a stock M42.

Comment

Need to do something, it's actually from about 2500-2700rpm. In the scheme of things pretty minor but it's an NVH thing a modern car has tuned out.
                      Considering having some custom headers made, so they would be made with that dimpled aluminum heat / sound insulation stuff.
                      That's absolutely the perfect situation for a Helmholtz resonator, basically you get a frequency measuring device and see what's the dominant frequency at the problem RPM, then there's some mathematics and you weld on a separate chamber to the rear muffler which has a length determined by that mathematics. Bing bang bong the drone goes away
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

some shots from the shoot
                        Weather was very nice

Last edited by burkey001; 04-16-2022, 04:22 AM.

Comment

So hot. I keep coming back to this thread in awe.
                          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Great build!

Where did you find the little screw on cap that sits above the spare wheel? Do you know the part number? Mine's long gone and it's almost poked a hole through the boot carpet!
                            '90 318is

Comment

So amazing!!!
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Just popped into the BAT Lambo for sale, is that your dads car? You guys have great eyes for color

Comment

Working...
                                X