Help me choose my next money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Evinrude 2 stroke V8. Test the legal limits of smog exemptions.
    Push the limits with a rotary airplane engine.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
      2mAn and Victell --- Are you guys sure about this?
      I should be clear, I've never heard of this loophole. But if its true and you can swap without getting in trouble then its pretty huge. Doesn't seem like you should be able to swap a gasoline engine in though.

Comment

Before I was an E30 Superstar I cut my teeth on mk1 and mk2 VWs and the go-to was getting a mk1 diesel rabbit so you could swap in a 16v, 1.8t or even vr6 with no headaches from the state. This should be no different.

Currently, it’s sitting at the Top3 on my personal POLE, and seems to be the same way on Your POLES too... except for roguetoaster who I secretly think is trying to sell me one of his cars
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

I should be clear, I've never heard of this loophole. But if its true and you can swap without getting in trouble then its pretty huge. Doesn't seem like you should be able to swap a gasoline engine in though.
          I'm no expert, but here's my understanding of the law.

1. It's not legal to register a car in CA if it was never originally sold here. So an m21 e30 will never be 100% legal. You may be able to register it, but there's always a risk because the DMV's mistake could be caught.

2. 1975 and older gasoline and 1995 and older diesel cars are exempt from bi-annual emissions inspections. This DOES NOT mean they are exempt from the emissions requirement. You are still required to maintain the original emissions equipment, they just don't check every other year. People do all kinds of crazy things, but there is always a chance that a cop sends you to a referee for an inspection.

3. The only legal way is to have the car registered as a show car or something and not drive the car on public roads. You can get a few day passes a year, but that's the limit of legally driving it on a public road.

4. Certain manufacturers (Dinan) will have their mods tested, so you can get CARB legal upgrades. These have an EO number on them so the smog tech can look it up. You can also BAR and engine swap, which gets you a sticker to prove its legal.

5. Certain counties in rural areas have an initial Smog check when you register the car, then no bi-annual check. Many people try to register their car in these places to avoid smog.

CA does have a way to snitch on out of state and non-compliant cars, and I think there's even an incetive to do so. So messing with the engine (other than legal ways) is always a gamble, just less of a risk if you don't have inspections.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Alfa.
            I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Before I was an E30 Superstar I cut my teeth on mk1 and mk2 VWs and the go-to was getting a mk1 diesel rabbit so you could swap in a 16v, 1.8t or even vr6 with no headaches from the state. This should be no different.

Currently, it’s sitting at the Top3 on my personal POLE, and seems to be the same way on Your POLES too... except for roguetoaster who I secretly think is trying to sell me one of his cars
              Dang, I negged it just a bit too hard and you caught on.

In that case, let me tell you about this neat project truck...

Comment

I'm liking the Diesel
                sigpic84 325e

Comment

the Italian.

Comment

IMO you're done with E30s. You've already built your ideal car and have a broad understanding of the platform. I say venture out into a different land.

I voted for the '60s Alpha, but would've voted '02 if that linked one wasn't unappealing.

I think you should get an '02, but not the one you linked.

Perhaps, more specifically, the M20 swapped Glen Shelly '02 on BAT right now.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

The Italian may bring you some joy. But for how long?

Take a break from the projects, spend some time with the fam. Build an e-bike. If you need to scratch an itch... come visit me and work on my project Datsun 1600s, 323 and '74 2002. We'll take the 912 out for a spin!

Comment

I think some of them are masochistic options, so I ignored them altogether.
                        I also think the MR2 saga was cut short and I really want to see a K swap in one, so that's my vote.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Alfa's are cool but it's next level project work to get them sorted or pay for a sorted car up front. Not on the list but BRZ/FR-S seem to be the answer for modern rear drive, light and excellent handling. Kind of a mix of E30 and MR2.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, Im actually open to something NOT on the list, but obviously you cant vote for it. The Alfa seems to be high on this list and my own personal list... but something just feels more emotional than logical about them. I need to drive one but never seem to be able to.

Something that was previously on my radar might still be available and should come as no surprise to any of you. We'll see... biggest problem now is family engagements are taking up every weekend and preventing me from spending time looking at cars. If this particular C2 isnt available and that Alfa sells for a lot tomorrow the list will narrow down to basically 2.

and yes Northern Im a masochist no matter how try to stop getting myself in those situations... maybe that means Im insane too... yup sounds right​​​​​​​
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Your money usually goes farther with a Fulvia coupe rather than an Alfa Giulia saloon. The Fulvias are slower but are reportedly absolute sweethearts.

Here's a weird one: why not an Alfasud? There is (was?) a low-km one in SF that already has a 33 1.7L swap. Comes with some race parts including an LSD. They're well-regarded as some of the best, if not the best, FWD driver's cars ever built- they're the only Alfas on evo magazine's Top 100 list. $12k. Jumped timing but supposedly no engine damage.
                              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                                Your money usually goes farther with a Fulvia coupe rather than an Alfa Giulia saloon. The Fulvias are slower but are reportedly absolute sweethearts.

Here's a weird one: why not an Alfasud? There is (was?) a low-km one in SF that already has a 33 1.7L swap. Comes with some race parts including an LSD. They're well-regarded as some of the best, if not the best, FWD driver's cars ever built- they're the only Alfas on evo magazine's Top 100 list. $12k. Jumped timing but supposedly no engine damage.
                                Ironically, I actually made an hour+ drive out last week to Malamuts auto "museum" aka rich guy car collection in Thousand Oaks. Why? Well, he was selling the Lancia Sport Zagato Coupe thing that was featured on Lenos garage and was for sale on BaT. I knew I wouldnt be the final bidder (sold for $90k!) but Ive had my eye on a baby blue one thats been for sale for over a year with a $36k asking. Its a Zagato with aluminum doors and side-opening hood. Its got a 1300 V4 motor. I love it... but then I drove it and promptly dismissed it. Just didnt excite me... Reminded me just how great the 5-speed in the Datsun was, but also what a difference 60s tech is versus the 21st century stuff.

Good news: Turns out the C2 is still available. Still nothing in stone anywhere and I still plan to go see the 324D on Thursday and will have the Alfa Auction up on the screen tomorrow. Its sitting at $12,750 right now and Im guessing it will end over $20k. If it stays in the teens, I might throw a few bids that way too... Only God knows what car I will end up with haha

Keep the ideas coming though!
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X