X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim88325is
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    The Hornet is an excellent example of what a modern standard motorcycle should look like, and they're allegedly reliable to boot.

Anyone here had one?
    I agree, I am sure they are great motorcycles I just don't know what they weren't more popular when released. I also don't why Honda doesn't keep a similar bike in their lineup at all times, the CB1100 is similar but a bit less sporty.

I mean that similar style sold like crazy in the 1970s and 80s and Honda even makes the CB400F for other markets. Honda has the CB500 but they are twins and marketed towards the low end, I don't think they are even made in Japan anymore.

It seems like an entire segment is missing in the relatively high performance 400 to 750cc 4-cylinder naked bikes, Yamaha releases a new kick-start only SR-400 thumper and next step up is FZ-07 700c twin. I would like to see more quality lower and mid cc 4 cylinders but maybe the market has changed and moved on...

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Downz View Post
    I think alot of design teams are going to far over the top sometimes with these futuristic transformer look, naked should be simple and clean, like the CB919 or the older monsters to name a few
    The Hornet is an excellent example of what a modern standard motorcycle should look like, and they're allegedly reliable to boot.

Anyone here had one?

Leave a comment:

• bikerbill2021
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Even some factory bikes look like a half assed crash-made "street fighter"

The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

Triumph's designers were hitting the pipe when they penned this baby.
    Agreed, the previous gen speed triple, while not my fav naked bike, was much better looking.

I think alot of design teams are going to far over the top sometimes with these futuristic transformer look, naked should be simple and clean, like the CB919 or the older monsters to name a few

Leave a comment:

• ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with a KTM 390 duke?

I've been bouncing between the KTM and a CB500F for a while now, and can't seem to make up my mind. I was riding my friends 500 and the power was there and was something I could handle for my first bike. I'm wondering if I'll be too much for a 390, I'm almost 190lbs. The ergonomics are great on the KTM, I'm just wondering if there's going to be too much MrBurgundy for the thumper.
    Love the 390. Looks great. I wouldn't be too worried about the thumper. I had a KTM lc4 engine and it was quite smooth. As long as your primary goal isn't highway cruising I think you would be okay.

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied

The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

Yeah, I haven't gotten used to those headlights myself either but a lot of other newer bikes aren't much better. I mean the new BMWs and KTM headlights are either googley or beady rat eyes.

I read about one designer stating that they wouldn't want to put a standard round headlight on a modern motorcycle since their basic look hasn't changed since the Model A. But I haven't seen a better option for my tastes so far...

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied

Concur that it looks awful, but Triumph has been hitting their models with the ugly but profitable stick lately.

However, I think that the Speed Triple is supposed to have a demi/bikini fairing above the light set, not sure why that one does not have it.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Really the key to a good street fighter is to make everything as tucked and smooth/oem looking as possible. Take a look at a factory naked street bike such as a Ducati Monster or Triumph Speed Triple, thats what you want to aim for. I cant stand seeing all these half assed "Street Fighter" conversions on craigslist after the owner crashed it, literally just taking the fairings off and calling it a naked bike

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied
    [QUOTE=ST1G;4756486]
    Originally posted by tim88325is View Post

Roommate has a fz6. I have to say between riding the two, the fz1 is hands down a better bike. It's not that it's 'faster' per se, but it's just easier to ride. You don't have to wring it out.

Both are great, fun bikes though. I would think a fz8 would be the sweet spot if I didn't want a litre of fun.
    No doubt the torque is nice, I just kinda lean towards smaller displacement in general, my 700cc 30yo Honda is fast enough for me most of the time. Had a 250cc Ninja that was fun because I could wring it out and not go straight to jail...

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Anyone here have any experience with a KTM 390 duke?

I've been bouncing between the KTM and a CB500F for a while now, and can't seem to make up my mind. I was riding my friends 500 and the power was there and was something I could handle for my first bike. I'm wondering if I'll be too much for a 390, I'm almost 190lbs. The ergonomics are great on the KTM, I'm just wondering if there's going to be too much MrBurgundy for the thumper.

Leave a comment:

• ST1G
    replied
    [QUOTE=tim88325is;4756468]
    Originally posted by ST1G View Post
    Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Nice, I really like the FZ6 for my speed goals, I am sure the FZ1 is great.

Good balance of performance, looks, and comfort...
    Roommate has a fz6. I have to say between riding the two, the fz1 is hands down a better bike. It's not that it's 'faster' per se, but it's just easier to ride. You don't have to wring it out.

Both are great, fun bikes though. I would think a fz8 would be the sweet spot if I didn't want a litre of fun.

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied
    [QUOTE=ST1G;4756328]Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Nice, I really like the FZ6 for my speed goals, I am sure the FZ1 is great.

Good balance of performance, looks, and comfort...

Leave a comment:

• ST1G
    replied
    Just picked up my first road bike, I had a supermoto before but it doesn't compare to this.

2007 Fz1 with 20k miles.

Leave a comment:

• bikerbill2021
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Any of you guys ride a "Zero" motorcycle yet? They are still too expensive but they are leaps and bounds better than they used to be when the company first started, only a few years in and they are doing great things. Not quite there yet in the range department but I'd rock one for my short commute. Haven't test ridden one yet, but if I found myself at near their HQ, I'd give them a go.

Manufacturer of 100% electric motorcycles for the street and dirt.

Still trying to decide if one old land cruiser and a bike will satisfy my needs/wants.
    I want to say my buddy DJ'd the promotional evert for them out here a while back, I remember him mentioning something about it, and they let him ride one around after all was said and done. He said it was the oddest feeling sitting at a stop light silent and then taking off with very little noise, but like most EVs, the acceleration on them was awesome

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
    Right on, wonder why they only made them on year?? Ha ha...

I think they are kinda valuable at this point since they are so rare.

My father belonged to this little club for thumpers pre-internet...

A group which caters for owners and riders of single cylinder bikes. SRX, XBR, GB, XT, XTZ, SR, XL, TT, Muz, SZR, CCM www.thumperclub.com.

I remember he took delivery of it in the winter but couldn't get it started, some small hole in the diaphragm of the carb or petcock made it impossible to start under 45 degrees.

Definitely ran out of steam 2/3 through the revs but that wasn't really the point, with the clip-ons the bike seemed like it was 8" wide overall.
    Bad ass, guy I regularly trade/buy/sell bikes from/to out here is a huge thumper enthusiast, hes got all sorts of random single cyl bikes, triumphs, yamis etc, always cool to see what he has in his "stock" as its always changing

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied
    AND its a thumper?? A fucking kick start only, thumper sport bike from yamaha? damn, that ticks all the right boxes in my book
    Right on, wonder why they only made them on year?? Ha ha...

I think they are kinda valuable at this point since they are so rare.

My father belonged to this little club for thumpers pre-internet...

A group which caters for owners and riders of single cylinder bikes. SRX, XBR, GB, XT, XTZ, SR, XL, TT, Muz, SZR, CCM www.thumperclub.com.

I remember he took delivery of it in the winter but couldn't get it started, some small hole in the diaphragm of the carb or petcock made it impossible to start under 45 degrees.

Definitely ran out of steam 2/3 through the revs but that wasn't really the point, with the clip-ons the bike seemed like it was 8" wide overall.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Any of you guys ride a "Zero" motorcycle yet? They are still too expensive but they are leaps and bounds better than they used to be when the company first started, only a few years in and they are doing great things. Not quite there yet in the range department but I'd rock one for my short commute. Haven't test ridden one yet, but if I found myself at near their HQ, I'd give them a go.

Manufacturer of 100% electric motorcycles for the street and dirt.

Still trying to decide if one old land cruiser and a bike will satisfy my needs/wants.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X