No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the ZRX carbs cleaned and got it back on the road. Replaced the disintegrating foam pod filters with some rather expensive K&N filters, and it needs a little tuning. It's kinda hesitant in the 6-7,000rpm range, it's either just rich because I have the needles raised to suit the foam filters which probably have less pressure drop, or it's due to the fuel levels being off a bit. Setting float heights is such a pain, since it involves completely removing the carbs and the throttle cables are a pain.
    Attached Files

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

I saw everyone posting nice pics of their bike so I figured I'd join...

I started doing some yard work, ended up installing the tail tidy I made and the tail fairing.

Can't remember if I posted the before pic, but PO cut off everything below the tail and sheet metal screwed a piece of milk jug to it.

Currently trying to fix an electrical issue with the dash. Then I need to do some rear end stuff, bar ends, and get a battery.
      Last edited by Northern; 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Untitled by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

Picked up a 2016 DR-Z400S to learn to ride on, wanted something I can take on trails when camping.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

I picked up this project over the weekend, one owner but has been sitting for decades. Tank has a couple pin holes otherwise all there and in nice condition. Will slowly revive it over the next few months...

Plan to get a $100-200 ultrasonic cleaner for the carbs, I seem to do enough of these projects to make it worthwhile...

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I saw everyone posting nice pics of their bike so I figured I'd join...

I started doing some yard work, ended up installing the tail tidy I made and the tail fairing.

Can't remember if I posted the before pic, but PO cut off everything below the tail and sheet metal screwed a piece of milk jug to it.

Currently trying to fix an electrical issue with the dash. Then I need to do some rear end stuff, bar ends, and get a battery.
            Did you end up getting the gearbox sorted?
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

A trip down memory lane. Here's my old '04 SV650S. I loved that bike. I sold it in ~2009.

IMG_1045 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post

Did you end up getting the gearbox sorted?
                I haven't really confirmed that it's fixed, but I replaced one gear with one from a set off ebay, and had the dogs on the adjacent gear machined flat to remove the rounded off corner.
                I bought a new shift star spring but it didn't show up until well after the bike was back together, so I installed the original spring with a small shim to try to give it a tiny bit of pressure.

I sorted out my dash issue - a zener diode was cracked on the dash pcb, and I guess that fried a resistor and a trace on the pcb (including a pad where there's an embedded capacitor in the board?). So I put a new zener diode, resistor, and a tiny capacitor in and everything works. I think this was mostly luck though.

I have the rear end apart now for new bearings and brake disk, and have a battery on order. Lastly I need to try to make the ebay integrated taillight brighter by swapping the resistor/LEDs, and find a good connector for it.

After that I'm probably hitting a wall because the DMV is closed and I can't register or plate the bike. How that is allowed, I do not know.

Comment

Have honestly forgot the E30 existed.

Modernized the bike a little with new fender, tires, blinkers, etc.

In WA you can plate and register things still but you cant do anything online, and Moto courses are canceled, so Im sitting here with a thumb up my ass loading a heavy ass bike in the back to go to offroad parks.
                  willschnitz

Comment

Wow, looks awesome, what park is that? I am on the east coast but have family in Seattle and Ellensburg, really would like to take a moto trip out there in the next few years.

Comment

I registered my CBR late april and I've been out on it a few times. Did a quick run around the block and nothing exploded so I did 150km with a buddy of mine and it didn't skip a beat.
                      I think the final tally is $1000 for the bike, and $1250 in parts. I found an old for sale ad for it from last spring for $3000 so the PO certainly did some damage.

Second gear is fixed, and it shifts like butter without the clutch, even clutchless downshifts feel really good.

I still need to find a connector for the taillight, and need to make it brighter somehow.
                      I ordered a second ebay integrated tail to tear apart and replace the LEDs with some "ultra bright" ones I found.

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                        Wow, looks awesome, what park is that? I am on the east coast but have family in Seattle and Ellensburg, really would like to take a moto trip out there in the next few years.
                        Walker Valley ORV, Its rough but slow so less worry of injury.
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post

Picked up a 2016 DR-Z400S to learn to ride on, wanted something I can take on trails when camping.
                          Congrats! I'm planning to get a dual-sport bike once I'm done paying my loan..

Comment

Nice congrats on the bike! I picked up a 2019 beta 200rr like a month ago. Weird a street legal small bore 2-stroke. Definitely a big upgrade from my CR125 lol

-Dee
                            5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                            IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HP IMGP3674.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	9938355

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                                Nice congrats on the bike! I picked up a 2019 beta 200rr like a month ago. Weird a street legal small bore 2-stroke. Definitely a big upgrade from my CR125 lol

Im probably going to sell the DRZ and get a Beta Xtrainer.

Got my permit and road driving pretty much not fun to me over 35mph. Would rather have a better dirt scooter.
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X