This is Photography

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    This guys work is stunning. Yes, its a video, made from still images (a ton of still images) All his videos are amazing.

    ----------------------------------------- The music in this film was composed by Kerry Muzzey and is a track called The Secret History from the album…


    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    I will be honest I had not really checked out the specs other than very briefly just after launch of 6D II. I may have spoken too soon, seems to me that the 6D II is mostly a 80D but with a FF sensor. The A/F seems to be much better compared to my 6D, which I have not found too much down fall with other than with fast moving things like wildlife/birds/planes. We seem to shoot a lot of similar stuff, while they fixed the A/F crippling of the 6D seems now (according to DPR) the D/R at low ISO seems to be very much lacking even compared to the 5D III..... And this is where the 6D was the choice over the 5's when before it was replaced.

    Given you have little in the way of glass investment now, you have lots of freedom to look. I will admit when I got to play with a Nikon D810 a couple years ago, I nearly switched formats the next day. I know thats likely way more than your planing on spending though.
    The D810 really is an impressive body. I shot one for the air races. I'm on the fence as to whether I want to buy a second body to supplement my D600. Speaking of the D600, I'm still impressed with mine. I have shot some damn good pics with it. I have no interest in selling it, but I am looking to buy a second body to cut down on switching lenses all the time (it takes less time to put one camera down and pick hte other up) I'd look into either the D600 or D610. They are pretty cheap now and still very capable. Have a look at all the different stuff I've shot with the d600. https://www.flickr.com/photos/47309961@N03/albums

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    I think Im just gonna grab a 6D now to be honest, I don't want to deal with Canons memes on new bodies, but still want full frame. Unless a deal pops up on an A7II for around the same cost with a lens.

    Mainly just missing that amount of depth I was getting with full frame rental.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    Struggling to understand why the 6DII is $1900 though, when you could spend $100 more for a Sony A7III, 5DIII like Sleeve said for nearly $500 less, Or even the A7II with its flaws for $900 less. Especially for stills, it makes almost no sense at that price point. Besides saving me buying a lens right away.
    I will be honest I had not really checked out the specs other than very briefly just after launch of 6D II. I may have spoken too soon, seems to me that the 6D II is mostly a 80D but with a FF sensor. The A/F seems to be much better compared to my 6D, which I have not found too much down fall with other than with fast moving things like wildlife/birds/planes. We seem to shoot a lot of similar stuff, while they fixed the A/F crippling of the 6D seems now (according to DPR) the D/R at low ISO seems to be very much lacking even compared to the 5D III..... And this is where the 6D was the choice over the 5's when before it was replaced.

    Given you have little in the way of glass investment now, you have lots of freedom to look. I will admit when I got to play with a Nikon D810 a couple years ago, I nearly switched formats the next day. I know thats likely way more than your planing on spending though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Struggling to understand why the 6DII is $1900 though, when you could spend $100 more for a Sony A7III, 5DIII like Sleeve said for nearly $500 less, Or even the A7II with its flaws for $900 less. Especially for stills, it makes almost no sense at that price point. Besides saving me buying a lens right away.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Light pollution is definitely some of it, but without a vehicle I can't really walk out of town.

    20180317-StarScape4 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    This one was a little better, even if you can see some of my sensors weird effects on the sky lol.

    A faster prime at like 15mm would still help however, and a newer full frame sensor, the sony I rented could go up to about 3200 for me and still look acceptable.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    20180317-StarScape1 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    Now I want some sort of wide angle Prime with a fast aperture. This actually turned out way better then I thought, I chose long exposure over higher ISO because my camera gets incredibly grainy and hard to process over 400 ISO. Especially since at 3.5-4.0 I'm not really getting all the stars I should be getting.
    You aren't getting all your stars because you have WAY too much light pollution. Id bet it wouldn't matter what lens you run, you still wouldn't capture all the stars because there is too much other, stronger light dominating the sensor. Yes, I've found that running higher (above 400 ISO) causes very grainy pics. Even on my D600, and the D810 I used at Reno last fall. ISO is like ASA rating on film. The higher it goes, the more light can be captured, however the grainer the pic. Sometimes the grain can be reduced in lightroom, but not always.

    I had the chance to go play with some long exposure daylight shots again the other day.



    The clouds were far more active than the other day. Since I only have super dark filters for my 200-500, it was tough to get a real wide angle view. I think I could have shot some really cool stuff with the 24-85, but not with the ND filter I have (not nearly dark enough.) I was using a 10 stop Nd with a 1.4 stacked on top of it to get these. Even at ISO 50, F8, but even so, I could only go about a minute and a half before I ran into over exposure issues.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    20180317-StarScape1 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    Now I want some sort of wide angle Prime with a fast aperture. This actually turned out way better then I thought, I chose long exposure over higher ISO because my camera gets incredibly grainy and hard to process over 400 ISO. Especially since at 3.5-4.0 I'm not really getting all the stars I should be getting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Reichart12
    Watch out for those sensors spots in the first long exposure photo in that big post!

    Big fan of the crab pic lol
    Yeah I didn't clean them up, just fixed the colors. Not my camera so wasn't going to try cleaning it off.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Watch out for those sensors spots in the first long exposure photo in that big post!

    Big fan of the crab pic lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    Unless you plan to be doing a lot of very low light and need the better low light higher power setting resolution in the sensors on the 6D's I would be putting my FF upgrade money on lightly used 5D III. The reason I have a 6D and not 5DIII is I got mine on a MASSIVE DISCOUNT buy due to a mistake on Target stores pricing flub, think like 65% off in 2013 flub.... LOL. That and I shoot the Auroras as often as I can and the better low light / High power handling of the 6D Sensor lends it self to that. That said the 5D III is a much better unit.... 5D III is going to give you much better A/F than even the 6DII and cost about the same or less.
    Im hoping Canon discounts the 6DII since its overpriced with Sony's latest offerings being revealed. Ill look into the 5DIII but I would actually like the low light performance, the extra resolution/mp even if small would be nice for my landscapes too.

    Definitely wont be happening till probably mid summer though.

    Edit: Are you sure on the AF? The 6DII has the Dual Pixel AF which is supposed to be far superior to any of the previous contrast AF's that canon uses.
    Also can see some of the features like tilty flippy screen, Wi-FI/NFC and timelapse photo modes being very useful to me in the future.
    Last edited by Wschnitz; 03-17-2018, 04:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Unless you plan to be doing a lot of very low light and need the better low light higher power setting resolution in the sensors on the 6D's I would be putting my FF upgrade money on lightly used 5D III. The reason I have a 6D and not 5DIII is I got mine on a MASSIVE DISCOUNT buy due to a mistake on Target stores pricing flub, think like 65% off in 2013 flub.... LOL. That and I shoot the Auroras as often as I can and the better low light / High power handling of the 6D Sensor lends it self to that. That said the 5D III is a much better unit.... 5D III is going to give you much better A/F than even the 6DII and cost about the same or less.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Overall really not impressed with the color the Sony had at neutral settings ~5-6K Kelvin on AdobeRGB standard, but with a quick lightroom filter I was happy with how everything turned out. Definitely giving the 6D Mark 2 more serious thought now however, and will probably rent it and an 85mm for summer break when I go to Banff.

    Also did some long exposures, but I need more ND filters, the one variable one is far from enough.

    20140104-_DSC1087 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140101-_DSC0146 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140105-_DSC1214 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140104-_DSC0884 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140104-_DSC0755 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140104-_DSC0775 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140105-_DSC1184 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140105-_DSC1242 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140105-_DSC1229 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140105-_DSC1349 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140101-_DSC0041 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    20140103-_DSC0660 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    The Nice glass was probably more of the impact to me then the body, but being able to crop without noticing loss in detail is pretty enjoyable.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    _DSC0248 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    Have not finished going through all the pictures I took yet. But god damn I need a full frame now.

    Its really down to if its worth swapping ecosystems for me, since I do technically already have a 50mm 1.4F EF lens that would work on a 6DMK2.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    I really like 2.8 but its just hard to nail its focus on the fly, I usually run 4.0 just for street photography.

    Now I have to transfer 50gb of photos to my desktop from laptop to actually go through them.

    Leave a comment:

Working...