This is Photography

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wschnitz
    replied
    _SRC5682 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5676 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5625 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5607 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5593 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr


    Going to Duluth next weekend, Kinda hoping the weather is shit and I can get some cool pictures of waves near the lighthouse.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    The reason I kind of recommend it over the others is that its supposed to be a great Astro lens for Crop Cameras.

    Tele's are fine until you stitch yet another landscape photo and start to get sick of it.
    Haha a lot of the photos I recently took in Germany were stiches. Streets too narrow to move back in and churches way too big to fit in one frame.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    The reason I kind of recommend it over the others is that its supposed to be a great Astro lens for Crop Cameras.

    Tele's are fine until you stitch yet another landscape photo and start to get sick of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Yeah its a Nikon D7100 that I picked up last year. Sigma 18-35 is what has stood out to me. Maybe I'll try to rent it for a weekend and then decided. It'll be a big change shooting wide as I have become so used to my 85 haha.

    I don't see my self upgrading bodies for while so getting a crop lens is no biggie to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    For Nikon you have a few options for Crop.

    14-24 $$$$$$$$$$
    16-35 F4 $$$$$
    Tokina 16-28 F2.8 $$
    Sigma 18-35 F1.8 $$$ (actually really good from what i hear)

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Because of crop you probably want something like a 16-35 or similar

    hes nikon crop

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    I find the 24-105F4 I have to be very useful and can be had for really cheap money for L glass but it is a bit slow for dark indoor work with out extra lighting. I would be ok with a 24-70 as I dont normally shoot much below 20mm anyway and tend to hang around in the 28-40 range. Unless of course its a wide landscape or Auroras then I break out the old 17-35 F2.8...

    What is your corp, is it a XXD or D7(MKII) or 1 of the rebel variants, Sensor tech and resolution will help you make a better choice for this kinda thing if your trying to stay away from using a lot of fill flash all the time inside

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Guys, looking for recommendations on a new lens. Ive been wanting something wide for my crop sensor camera. I cant imagine Ill use wider than 18mm and really have been looking at 20 or 24mm primes. I want to be able to use it kinda as an all purpose lens to go along with my 85mm and a kit 35mm I have that I don't really like the quality of anymore.

    Really I want something to be able to use inside during the Montana winters for maybe food, products, or venue events. And portraits later on if possible. Would you lean towards a 20mm 1.8 or get something like a 24-70? Any advice, experience, or whatever would be appreciated.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    The Reno Air Races produced some of the most epic sunsets and sunrises I've ever seen.

    The sunrise shoot with the P63 was super short. It looked like it was going to explode and be awesome, and the higher the sun rose, the more it fell on its face. We got about 2 minutes of awesome light and that was it.




    The photo shoot I set up the night before almost didn't happen. Following the last race of the day it was pit party time. Margaritas were being made and everyone was enjoying the evening. The day had been a bit on the grey side, but amazing shapes and shadows to the clouds. Wednesday had been similar, and the sunset just turned into a grey cold evening with no color to be seen. The owners of Full Noise were afraid we were going to get the same thing Friday night. One of the trucks was supposed to come over and tow the plane out, but it was nowhere to be found. I talked to the owner and pilot, and his comment was "Ah bloody hell, we have 30 people here, we can push it out" (he's from New Zealand as well as the rest of the team.) So it was announced that we were going to push the plane out onto the ramp so I could do the photo shoot. Since everyone had been enjoying the libations, they were more than happy to help. So, out went Full Noise to the ramp. The owners were skeptical that the sunset was going to go, and I kept asking them to have some faith. I could see a clear line between the top of the mountains and the bottom of the clouds, however there was a thin layer of dark clouds hanging just above the mountains that threatened to kill the sunset. What unfolded was something that will be remembered for years to come.







    The best way to finish off the shoot was with a night engine run. Jay, the crew chief had not been drinking and agreed to fire it up so I could do what turned out to be the best night run of the week. (there was one other, that I missed that was not nearly as impressive.)




    It was really a great time working with the guys from New Zealand. I hope they can make it back next year, but the shipping costs are monumentally high and they really need a good sponsor to make it happen.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Nice shots dude, keep it up.

    Im excited to try out something in the 300-500 range on my sony eventually.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    I was at the Reno air races last week... I set the shot difficulty rating to beyond category.... I was playing around at 1/40, 500...
    Yes half the plane is soft, the other half is not.


    Now that is some speed blur...



    I got lazy and pumped the shutter speed to 1/80, still at 500mm

    Different location, 1/60 at 500.




    I think I was on fire with the ultra slow shutter speed shooting at 500mm.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Some boring Daylight pictures:
    _SRC4850 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC4800 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC4836-Pano by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC4752 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    And lots more Astro:
    _SRC5041-Pano by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5076 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5066 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5051 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5191 by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5176-Pano by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    _SRC5165-Pano by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    StarStack attempt, see a small amount of new stars but a lot less noise. Though I didn't take a foreground exposure so its got a blurry mess for that.
    StarStack_Menom_Dunn by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Moose is a wizard. Props to you on the feature.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Thanks guys. I gotta say, its kinda weird to see my work in a major publication. Especially when there are others like Moose Peterson and Scott Slocum who are also featured in the magazine. (Scott is an air to air wizard, and Moose is, well, he literally wrote the book on aviation photography.) There was also another guy by the name of Camden Thrasher who is a badass. Check out his stuff here. http://www.camden-thrasher.com/blog/?page_id=6963 Yes, his stuff has influenced mine. (I mentioned that to him and he didn't know what to say, it was pretty funny.)

    Will

    Leave a comment:

Working...