Comment

[ATTACH]91756[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91757[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91758[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91760[/ATTACH]

Comment

This.
        Still gives me the creeps… and that's a pretty decent road..and I think this photo's been tipped...

Click image for larger version

Name:	WebsterPassGDrover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7172534

A place a lot like these…a long way down, and nothing to slow you down..

Name:	859581.JPG
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	7172535

See that road up at the top?

Name:	DSC_0433.JPG
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	7172536

Name:	DSC_0497.JPG
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	7172537

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
          Don't consider any P38 or Disco unless it's in A+ shape or you know exactly what's wrong with it

Really though, if you want a Landy save your money and get a Series or Defender. Even if it needs a lot of work it’ll turn out to be a much more rewarding experience. :)
          I understand the advice to stay away from a P38 or D2, but a Defender and a D1 are essentially the same truck with the same capabilities and issues. One just costs 1/50th of the other and is far more comfortable to live with day to day.

Comment

Black bear pass CO. ????????
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
              I understand the advice to stay away from a P38 or D2, but a Defender and a D1 are essentially the same truck with the same capabilities and issues. One just costs 1/50th of the other and is far more comfortable to live with day to day.
              ...and the RRC is even better day to day!

Update here, I found more rust on the body. FAWK.

Going to have to gut it and see what the shell looks like. I see many intimate hours with the plasma cutter/welder in my future.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                Exactly. My son's '95 D1 is a 100" Defender underneath, essentially. Heavy frame, coil springs, locking center diff, minimal electronics, 3.9 V8 - same engine and injection system as the NAS Defenders, pretty reliable…..not good mileage….

We've beefed it up a bit with Old Man Emu springs and shocks (+2"), tall tires, and taken off all the hanging plastic crap off the bumpers.

Needs a fuel pump right now, but that's pretty normal for any car from 1995 with 175,000 mi.
                Last edited by LateFan; 12-08-2014, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  Black bear pass CO. ????????
                  Many places, mostly CO - just images that look a bit like my teenage encounter with nearly bouncing down a mountainside with my Dad in our Bronco. It was on the east side of Independence Pass at about 12,000 feet.

After we got out of there and walked back, we realized there was an ancient drill rig truck at the bottom of the slope 1500 feet down, crushed and rusted. He must have tried that same road many many years earlier.

Comment

here's my 2011 Defender 110:

-chris

Early 323i
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214425
                    320i V8 Swap
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345807
                    M3
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310470

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      Many places, mostly CO - just images that look a bit like my teenage encounter with nearly bouncing down a mountainside with my Dad in our Bronco. It was on the east side of Independence Pass at about 12,000 feet.

After we got out of there and walked back, we realized there was an ancient drill rig truck at the bottom of the slope 1500 feet down, crushed and rusted. He must have tried that same road many many years earlier.
                      Black Bear is a F/S road that branches off US550 and runs up to about 12,800 and then switchbacks down into Telluride CO. Its one of the more famous very SCARY jeep trails in the country... One of these days I will go check it out at least not sure if I have the ballz or da skillz to run those switchbacks,
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

That's another thing I remember from going with my Dad on those trips - switchbacks! A lot of those old mine roads were not intended for anything except to get a bulldozer up there. There is not a wide spot at the switchback, and you have to go forwards up one direction, then reverse up the next, alternating your way up the mountain.

Or, you try a 15-point turn with your bumper hanging out in the sky, hanging out the door to make sure your tire doesn't go over the edge! YIKE.

Nice ride, Mr Evil! We can't get those.
                        Last edited by LateFan; 12-11-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          Black Bear is a F/S road that branches off US550 and runs up to about 12,800 and then switchbacks down into Telluride CO. Its one of the more famous very SCARY jeep trails in the country... One of these days I will go check it out at least not sure if I have the ballz or da skillz to run those switchbacks,
                          That road looks uhhhh-mazing!

We did the Durango to Silverton RR ride. It was great. They could only go halfway though due to a rock slide over the tracks. So we ended up driving the million dollar highway through Silverton to Montrose, then 50 up to I70.

I recall seeing multitudes of Jeeps on the sides of 550 queuing for trails.

Beautiful country!
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

mmm…switchbacks….my favorite….

Name:	land-rover-great-divide-2014-range-rover-pair-tight-turn.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	7172551

Name:	P1100002b.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	7172552

Name:	GoogleView_zps292eff8d.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	7172553

Couldn't find any pics of the dead end kind where you can't turn.

The best part of switchbacks for me is when you're going downhill and all you see is hood and sky.

Comment

Just get a roll bar.

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	7172554

Name:	Without-Roll-Bar.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	7172555