X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    It's especially great here because we're supposedly transitioning to all electric cars in the 2030s. So much better to power that car with nice clean electricity.

It's hilarious.
    Also the whole ecological return timeline for EV production + use seems longer than most people give it credit for, and the vehicle life span certainly seems to be shorter.
    Actually, I've heard the EV frenzy is dying down a bit. Sales seem to be down, and I believe Mercedes has backed off of its original target deadline to drop ICE engines. Harry's Garage did a video about it recently. I'm still convinced this is just a passing phase. Toyota doesn't seem to be convinced that EVs are the end all be all solution either.

As for EV vehicle life span, I can't imagine it's very good. They're electrically very complex, and they have very expensive batteries that have a limited life span. I also haven't heard great things about Tesla build quality, and cars are getting cheaper and more plastic as time goes on. Will anyone want to foot the bill to recondition a 15 year old Tesla? Will it even be worthwhile, or will it be completely obsolete? I wouldn't be surprised if the average lifespan of a Tesla was as little as 10 years.

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

This guy seems like a huge... ehh- I cant say it on R3v
    Damn, has R3V gotten that soft?​

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

Yes you can... dont be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    I love seeing an EV with a coal plate. These guys get it.
    They seem to be proliferating in the DC area, especially on WV plates. Then again, people do need to look up from their phones to read the plate and appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I love seeing an EV with a coal plate. These guys get it.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    It's especially great here because we're supposedly transitioning to all electric cars in the 2030s. So much better to power that car with nice clean electricity.

It's hilarious.
    Also the whole ecological return timeline for EV production + use seems longer than most people give it credit for, and the vehicle life span certainly seems to be shorter.

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    I think the worst thing about EVs is the people who drive them. Yes, let's give up something that is objectively more enjoyable and engaging for something that is soulless, but efficient, which seems to be the standard these days. Many of the great things of the past can no longer be created anymore because they don't meet a given stat, usually in the interest of "saving the planet" or perhaps it's deemed to be just too much effort. I might be more sympathetic if such measures would actually save the planet, but anyone who thinks that EVs are any kind of solution to an alleged "climate crisis" and that manual transmissions and combustion engines are the leading "climate killers" is simply an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Just kill it already so E36Ms can triple in price again.

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied
    Amid the climate crisis, car manufacturers are increasingly shifting to electric, and the days of manual transmission are numbered. For Paul Hockenos, the death of the stick shift can’t come soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post

This is a hilarious post. Dude I freakin hate writing service so much. People are dumb. Good call protecting the shop. End up down some half assed rabbit hole job with ching chong parts and then the engine toasts off and youre stuck with it.
    I try and keep things simple here... easy to get stuck with a headache because someone wants to be cheap about a 20 year old bmw with a V8.... no thanks..

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied

Honestly $500k USD is ~$675k CAD which sounds pretty good to me lol. But our housing issue is pretty bad compared to most. That home insurance bill is insane though
    Must be nice. Here in Sydney the median price is now over 1.6mil, which is a shade over a million US. I moved back here to go to university, and will likely only be here for my degree.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post

​Yeah the severity of your market is insane, it doesn't make south Florida's any less bogus.
    I could've worded my post better, you're absolutely right about that.

I think I'd really enjoy living somewhere rural, but my work tethers me to the city (and while I can occasionally work a day remotely, it is a little depressing) and I will take the downsides of the city over the long commute any day.

Leave a comment:

• Dj Buttchug
    replied
    People can be so ridiculous... So at the shop, I've had this person call me 3 times for a timing chain service on an M60B44.

The kid calls me and is like can you change just one chain, out of the three. I tell him, I'm only willing to do the job if we do the whole thing, I buy the parts, you get a warranty, blah blah blah.

He calls me a second time almost begging me to do just one chain, because he claims the other chain was just done. I tell him, listen man, this is the way I do it, but that's just me, go take it to whoever did the one chain before and have them do the other one... Why does it have to be me?

Then his Mom calls and is like hey, I want to get one of my chains replaced on my 740i. I say oh, someone just called about this and she goes, this is my first time calling LOL. Okay... then literally describes the same shit the kid did.

She's like grilling me why I cannot just do one chain. I'm like LADY this is my policy, that's just me, there are people out there who will do that for you, but not me.

Then she goes on about how she's going to bring me the parts... Shop policy is we supply parts so you get your warranty and we don't get stuck with your car because you bought shitty parts or the wrong parts all together...

God damn lol Why do I have to be forced to do this shit for you lol..

Also, why tf would you drive a 2001 740i if you're worried about cost of ownership...Go buy a 2003 camry and you'll never have to worry about that

/rant
    This is a hilarious post. Dude I freakin hate writing service so much. People are dumb. Good call protecting the shop. End up down some half assed rabbit hole job with ching chong parts and then the engine toasts off and youre stuck with it.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    In all seriousness, moving to a semi-rural area was about the best thing I ever did for my general happiness. Taking the leap to be self employed is a close second.

That's my plan, the logistics are going to be difficult. Two years ago my long term plan was Florida, buy a house on some land or buy some land and build a house. Now the houses I wanted are $650,000+, the houses I'd settle for are $500,000+ and the only places undeveloped land exists in places where I wouldn't be able to support myself financially. I may as well leave.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    The US is a big place. I’m constantly telling people that complain about CA that if all your life is renting an overpriced apartment and sitting in traffic then this is a terrible place, but I enjoy the canyons and I head to Malibu often and it doesn’t get any better. Would it be nice to have more (space, income, free time) sure, but I am pretty content with life.

are you able to work remotely or commute to work in some other way than driving? I know you guys just built a metro line that supposedly is good, but I have no idea where you work. I’d love to sit on a train to get to work, but that would take me longer than driving and I can’t even pick up my kid that way... so driving it is. I’m in the 20-30 minute camp in the AM and around 30-45 on the way home. I’ve made it a point to never be at the hour mark on my commute in one direction which certainly helps
    Unfortunately I can't WFH with my current job, even though I could easily take care of all of my work at home, and most of the aerospace industry has stopped offering WFH jobs. As far as trains, I can see why they get hardly any ridership here. You have to live in pretty bad areas to be close to the stations, and work in pretty bad areas or take busses or taxis to get from the train to work. It just isn't going to work for many people. Or you can leave your car at a train station (in a bad area) for it to get broken into or hit. I'm pretty far west and just don't have any option but to drive even if I wanted to do something else. Houses are even more expensive in the city where I work. I'm going to have to maintain the status quo until I can make my exit.

Honestly $500k USD is ~$675k CAD which sounds pretty good to me lol. But our housing issue is pretty bad compared to most. That home insurance bill is insane though​
    ​Yeah the severity of your market is insane, it doesn't make south Florida's any less bogus. You're paying a lot for nothing here as far as I am concerned. Wages here are low considering the cost of living, there's basically zero scenery just beaches, and people here are just nasty and selfish. I'm fairly well traveled in the US and basically only the big cities are worse than it is here. There's a serious every man for himself attitude in FL and I think that's largely because so many people are from somewhere else and it creates disinterest in other people. We don't have a state income tax which is great, but insurance is a losing prospect here and I'm sure you've seen why over the past decade. There's another crisis not getting much airtime outside of FL, the oceanside condominiums. They're getting old, and were built in a hostile environment. The collapse in Miami brought it to people's attention that they need to stop being cheap bastards and get inspections and repairs done. The HOA assessments are immense, and that incident has shown that the poorly built housing boom condominiums can collapse if adequately neglected, but those wealthy oceanfront geezers remain ever stingy and are constantly whining about how their oceanfront buildings are expensive to repair, as if buildings shouldn't need maintenance to last forever.
    Last edited by varg; 03-17-2024, 04:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    I'm pretty much done with FL
    Honestly $500k USD is ~$675k CAD which sounds pretty good to me lol. But our housing issue is pretty bad compared to most. That home insurance bill is insane though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X