No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two day weeks ARE way too short... Makes the weeks/months/years fly by...
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      I've been staying with my brother on and off at his house doing projects, and he works 5/8's and man does his weekend seem far too short. Through him, I can slightly experience that pain. Doesn't seem right, but that's the way it is.
      Half my time at work (5/8's) seems to be either gathering people for a meeting to summarizing work for someone too busy to make it to a meeting. I could probably get all my stuff done in 20 hours/week if I could just focus on the useful stuff.

I just read an article about how Chinese people are starting to revolt against the 996 work week (9am-9pm, 6 days/week). That sounds soul crushing.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Half my time at work (5/8's) seems to be either gathering people for a meeting to summarizing work for someone too busy to make it to a meeting. I could probably get all my stuff done in 20 hours/week if I could just focus on the useful stuff.

I just read an article about how Chinese people are starting to revolt against the 996 work week (9am-9pm, 6 days/week). That sounds soul crushing.
        Gah, that sounds frustrating. At least you are getting paid. Or at least that's what I would tell myself.

Definitely agree on that shorter time. My brothers company is currently in a period of low workload between two large projects. But his boss is old school, so you sit at your desk and try to create busy work, just so you are there. Not ideal.

I've been to China (before the pandemic), and I have to say, not a lot of smiling or happy people where I went (Beijing and Shanghai) over the course of two weeks.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

The thing I hated most about being a supervisor was meetings. If they take more than 5-10 minutes its peoples EGOs that need to be fed to chit-chat about BS. At least on the mid-level management that I was at. Im sure the Board of Directors needs to have longer meetings, but even there and EGO is even bigger and needs to be heard.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

But his boss is old school, so you sit at your desk and try to create busy work, just so you are there. Not ideal.
            The assumption that hours in the office translates to productivity or commitment is the biggest gripe I've got about coming into work. My salary is based on a 40-hour week, but there's an assumption that I'll work closer to 45-ish. And then you've got the whole, 'Person A gets in a little before me, so I shouldn't leave before them', thing. So everyone either wastes time or creates work to justify staying in the office long enough to look good for each other.

sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

The assumption that hours in the office translates to productivity or commitment is the biggest gripe I've got about coming into work. My salary is based on a 40-hour week, but there's an assumption that I'll work closer to 45-ish. And then you've got the whole, 'Person A gets in a little before me, so I shouldn't leave before them', thing. So everyone either wastes time or creates work to justify staying in the office long enough to look good for each other.
              THIS. Most of what I do can be done at home, but if I'm at home I (typically) don't get paid, even though I may still actually be "working". And as I type this it is 6:20 on the east coast and I've been at the office/work since before 5am. And most of my days are like this, and my salary is based on a 40hr week, but if I'm not here at least 60hrs then I'm not working hard enough lol.

My boss is definitely old school in that aspect for sure, and if I don't at least make an appearance at the office, then I must not be working.

That being said, my boss is my uncle, and it is a family business, and it is *supposed* to be handed down to me next lol. But still, damn, I don't want to be here that long haha.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Worst part about the last office job I had. Thankfully, my current, remote, position has none of these issues. Paid exactly the same whether I work 100 hours per pay period (every two weeks) or zero hours. Life has become much, much better.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Worst part about the last office job I had. Thankfully, my current, remote, position has none of these issues. Paid exactly the same whether I work 100 hours per pay period (every two weeks) or zero hours. Life has become much, much better.
                  Its strange. I feel like when I was in Engineering I needed to keep up with all the people that were either lifer's at the company (developed some technology or process and ruled over their little kingdom), and the people that just come to work and dick around at their desk or disappear in the factory for hours. Now that I'm in Operations, we have people who work 12 hours a day 6 days a week (for the sweet sweet OT), but still don't seem to get any work done. So that feels weird to come in after someone, leave before them, and know they'll be in on a Sat when I'm off.

Right now I'm managing Lean initiatives for our factory, which is kind of fun, but I also miss getting involved in technical problems. I plan to move out of the Bay in the next year (look out Philly), so it's time to start thinking about what the next job looks like.
                  sigpic

Comment

I moved into a new house that I'm renting. It has a 2 car garage with shelves on all the walls. I only have enough tools/car parts for maybe a quarter of the space. The urge to buy random items is high...

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                      I moved into a new house that I'm renting. It has a 2 car garage with shelves on all the walls. I only have enough tools/car parts for maybe a quarter of the space. The urge to buy random items is high...
                      Resist.

Comment

Buy a welder and start collecting the replacement metal you’ll need for the E30
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Resist.
                          Agree with this. You don't know what your next place will look like.

Keep up the good work with the videos btw. I bet I have watched ~90% of what you put on YouTube.

Comment

Yeah I made the mistake of filling a garage at a house I was renting and it just made it a huge pain to move again 2 years later
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Dont buy anchors, buy movable stuff. A welder on a cart is easy to move and when the cold winter comes it will give you something to do
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Yeah, keeping an eye on what may need to be moved in a few years is key. Luckily this new job provided movers so that helped with the few pieces of furniture I have, albeit that wont arrive for another two weeks.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                                X