X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That STI is quite nice.
    I do things.

Comment

The STI is definitely a tuner car, you have to tune it, they've had essentially the same specs since 2008 or something those hatchback STIs were really cool, the saab version even cooler.
      @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (18psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
      [b u i l d]
      [Car of the month: April 2018]

0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
        Guy fixing my transmission sent me this as a joke.
        That's what you think until you see the invoice line "Custom Polymer Transmission Case Repair - $1,382.33."

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          My current nonsense:
          Trying to make a 4 clutch 2.93 out of:
          an e36 328i ring & pinion
          e30 s3.73 case & LSD guts
          s2.79 LSD carrier
          racingdiffs cap + 4 clutch kit
          timken bearings
          BMW diff seal kit.

What hope in hell do I have that either of the pinion shims are going to be remotely close to fitting? seems like I'm going to need to buy a lot of crush sleeves and a pinion shim kit
          Are you going to document this anywhere? I have an s3.73 that's going to get a 4-clutch upgrade. I've got all the precision tools and a full machine shop at my disposal, I'm just nervous about all the shimming stuff. I've got some info from a bunch of different sources, but i haven't found a single place that explains the whole process.

sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Are you going to document this anywhere? ...
            A build thread is a great place for that Northern !! haha
            Simon
            Current Car:
            -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
            -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So I realized there are a few problems with my plan:
              The "clean" case I have is rusty on the inside
              Most likely going to need to mess with pinion shims, which means installing/removing the pinion a few times, probably ordering a few sets of shims and more crush sleeves.
              Sure installing/removing the pinion is *possible* without a press, but it involves heat and BFH so I imagine the bearing wouldn't enjoy that very much

I also have an e30 2.93 open diff that wouldn't need nearly as much work since the pinion is already installed and all. Case is grubby, but I popped it apart and it was much better than expected.

The e30/e36 final drive TIS is out there, so I was going off that, although the LSD stackup instructions are a little murky and it's lacking some torque specs.
              Other than some confusion about how they chose to say some weird shit instead of "convex up" with their Belleville washer instructions, it was smooth sailing to install the racing diffs clutch/plate upgrade and their carrier cap.
              I didn't have any clearance issues like some people so I didn't need to machine the cap.

Unfortunately Rockauto has some wrong bearings listed (possibly for 168mm diff?) that of course I bought, so now I'm waiting on the correct ones.
              Then I clean up this case and start messing with the shims for lash.

I'll post about it in my build thread whenever I actually finish it
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Transmission fixed!

https://bit.ly/3b1crqy
                I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

That's what you think until you see the invoice line "Custom Polymer Transmission Case Repair - $1,382.33."
                  He charged $250, I paid $260 cash since I could only get 20's from the ATM on Sunday.
                  I do things.

Comment

Damn, that's a steal..

I would charge a lot more than that.. I'm assuming you took the trans out., right?
                    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                    Q
                    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                      Damn, that's a steal..

I would charge a lot more than that.. I'm assuming you took the trans out., right?
                      Oh yeah. Did that last Monday.

Went to put the flywheel on, and one of the bolts is round, as in the hex was never put on the bolt at the bolt factory.
                      I do things.

Comment

Oh yeah. Did that last Monday.

Went to put the flywheel on, and one of the bolts is round, as in the hex was never put on the bolt at the bolt factory.
                        Mmm, solid QC somewhere, which surprises me considering the reliability of a optical scan process differentiating between round and not round bolt heads.

Comment

Haha, I'll call the flywheel vendor tomorrow, hopefully they can send a replacement bolt soon. They're near Orlando, so should be a couple of days shipping.
                          I do things.

Comment

Haha, I'll call the flywheel vendor tomorrow, hopefully they can send a replacement bolt soon. They're near Orlando, so should be a couple of days shipping.
                            Looking forward to the headline "Florida Man Arrested After Running a Meth for Bolt Head Scheme at Major Automotive Supplier."

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Looking forward to the headline "Florida Man Arrested After Running a Meth for Bolt Head Scheme at Major Automotive Supplier."
                              I saved you a seat
                              Simon
                              Current Car:
                              -2000 330i Estate, the dad-mobile
                              -2002 MR2 Spyder, the solo-mobile

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Called them up today, they were great about it, apologized and are sending me a replacement 2-day express.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X