Photobucket demanding $399 to link to third party sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
    I don't care enough to go back and fix my build threads. Half of the pictures were linked from shitbook because lazy, the other half were Photobucket and are now defunct. Meh. Maybe one day.
    Yea, half assed build threads are now full-assed build threads haha

Just make these new ones good!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Yea, half assed build threads are now full-assed build threads haha

Just make these new ones good!
      The only one I care to update is the one for the mtech cabrio. I have a fuck ton of pictures for that car from the "basic respray" which quickly turned into a pretty extensive exterior restoration...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ FML

Should redo Eleanor's too at some point.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yea Im just going through a little here and there. Its a pain with the Aluminum Monsters thread because its hundreds of pics so I will do a page or two when I have time.

bullshit
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It's even worse in other forums. One I belong to doesn't allow edits after a certain period of time, so there's no way at all to go back and modify the threads.

My c900 build thread is 74 pages long, thousands of pictures, and has had hundreds of thousands of views. Pretty much everything that got me my magazine feature is documented in those pages. As soon as my "plus" membership benefit dies that thread is next to useless. :(
          '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

ok just did the flcker thing.
            Flicker is pretty solid right?

Inside of a Behr radiator by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Flickr is good yeah, unless verizon decides to go full scum it should stick around for a while. Yahoo already introduced the 1TB of free storage.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

They're all subject to going pay-only at any time, but I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to do it like photobucket did and ask for significantly more money than it would cost to host your own site and just remote link your images from there.

(edit)
                Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                It's even worse in other forums. One I belong to doesn't allow edits after a certain period of time, so there's no way at all to go back and modify the threads.
                That's fucking stupid, I don't get why that would be an option, one should be able to edit and delete their posts as necessary indefinitely.

I suggest contacting the administrator of the forum and asking that they change their editing policy and make an announcement about it in, light of the fact that a significant number of the threads in the forum were rendered pretty much useless by this photobucket thing.
                Last edited by varg; 07-13-2017, 05:57 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

i use r3v gallery for a lot, maybe not super duper high res. but it works for me, and its easy

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    That's fucking stupid, I don't get why that would be an option, one should be able to edit and delete their posts as necessary indefinitely.
                    They had a policy like that for a while on another forum I'm on. Reason being, some 10 years ago a long time member got butthurt and decided to delete every single one of his posts and leave. This dude also posted a lot of tech info. Kinda ruined all the threads he posted in.

I think it's back to normal now though. I agree though, it's really annoying. Not to mention they changed the time limit to edit to I think it was a day, might've been a week.

Comment

I started listing mine on google photos through shared albums a while back. Still, looks like ive got some weekend re-tagging ahead

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        They had a policy like that for a while on another forum I'm on. Reason being, some 10 years ago a long time member got butthurt and decided to delete every single one of his posts and leave. This dude also posted a lot of tech info. Kinda ruined all the threads he posted in.
                        You can thank Mr. George Graves for that one

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                          You can thank Mr. George Graves for that one
                          Did he just do that?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I can see why they did it after reading the Photobucket announcement, but it "should" have been more wide known, and a gradual transition IMO.

New CEO comes into a failing product...

I'm sure it didn't take long to figure out that the free users were the ones using ad blockers, ad click revenue declines. Now how do you fund the storage on billions of photos, and keep a server running for 100m users? Previous CEO just kept stacking ads from what it appears, killing the functionality of the site.

Maybe I read it wrong, but that link says it's a one-time payment? Also says photos can still be accessed, and even explains how to download in case you want to leave and share elsewhere - as if they are asking the those users to leave. Not quite the "ransom for data" I seen mentioned.

Now with the broken links, non-members will be forced to open on PB itself where they can enforce the ad views and detect ad blocker. I didn't try a lot, but browsed some forums and a "right click > open in new tab/window" worked for me. The photos have no water mark etc, and aside from ordering prints, or paying members, they are relying on those ads.

To me, as a business, it was a very wise move to keep it alive, but again was handled a little oddly. If your operation isn't generating enough revenue to pay for overhead, it obviously will go broke. 75% of your revenue to host a clientele with zero return is pretty absurd, might be exaggerating, but if true, can't blame them entirely for the change.

I use it, but only because when new, it was one of the few that made it simple to upload once, then share in multiple locations - the very thing that attracted forum/blog-type members. Cross posting made simple. I have 2 accounts and way too many photos TBH, but that happens after 12-ish years and countless projects/builds.

Denver, Colorado (July 6, 2017) One of the world’s leading photo storage and hosting sites has begun notifying its largest commercial scale users that it will now offer an unlimited third party hosting subscription plan.

John Corpus, CEO of Photobucket, said that historically the company “relied heavily on advertising revenue but that major industry-wide changes in the advertising space have greatly impacted Photobucket, including the rise of ad blockers and the Company’s explosion of 3rd party hosting that generates zero revenue.”

“This model is no longer sustainable,” Corpus added.

Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting. The majority of the industry has either eliminated 3rd party hosting or imposed variable pricing based on consumption. To address the market, Photobucket has added unlimited hosting to its Plus 500 Subscription plan at a competitive fixed price.

Photobucket modified its Terms of Use in the second quarter of 2017. The Company began notifying non-paying users through email and on-site messaging that the Plus 500 plan offers 3rd Party Hosting for both commercial and personal use requiring no development or technical experience. Photobucket users who elect not to subscribe to the Plus 500 plan are always able to access all of their photos and migrate to alternative solutions if they so desire.

In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company has amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images stored, with 2 million daily uploads and 60 billion photos accessed monthly.

“With all the photos stored and shared, nearly everyone interacts with a Photobucket hosted image on at least one page across the web over a sixty-day period, putting the photo hosting service as a significant part of the internet,” Corpus said.

Corpus said that “initial results for the Company are positive. This path to a more sustainable business model allows us to develop an even more robust product to meet our customers’ needs.”

“We are grateful for our customers’ continued support,” he added.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                              Did he just do that?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                              I have a feeling that GG was the reason the guy got butthurt. Not the one who did the deleting.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Fuckin blows!
                                sigpic
                                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                                X