This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Why even tell the smog place that you've changed the engine? Transmission swap doesn't require a referee. I doubt that a smog tech is going to know a m20b27 from a m20b25.

If you do go to a referee, based on what I've read, you just need to make sure all the stock emissions stuff is present and working (cat, charcoal canister, and purge valve). The engine has to be newer than the car. You'll need all kinds of documentation to prove what is in the car is correct and complete. It just seems like a huge waste of time to BAR a 325i engine into a 325e.
    Yeah, I get your point.
    My "e" cat was bad. The "i" cat is bigger (2.25 vs 2.5).
    And my engine needs some tuning... (alternative crank, cams, ...)

Any recommendations on a place that can make sure the engine isn't running lean? (And will pass the sniffer part of referee.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post

Yeah, I get your point.
      My "e" cat was bad. The "i" cat is bigger (2.25 vs 2.5).
      And my engine needs some tuning... (alternative crank, cams, ...)

Any recommendations on a place that can make sure the engine isn't running lean? (And will pass the sniffer part of referee.)
      Are you using the stock ecu. How wild are your mods? More importantly, where are you in the bay?
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Are you using the stock ecu. How wild are your mods? More importantly, where are you in the bay?
        Fremont.
        Stock ECU (380)
        2.9 Mahle motorsport stroker
        10:1 Compression ratio
        M52 Crank ( 84mm stroke)
        85mm Bore
        Super sport head with performance valve springs and 274 cam
        S50 Connecting rods
        ARP Rod bolts
        ARP Main studs
        ARP Head studs
        Nuke adjustable cam gear

Comment

Fremont.
          Stock ECU (380)
          2.9 Mahle motorsport stroker
          10:1 Compression ratio
          M52 Crank ( 84mm stroke)
          85mm Bore
          Super sport head with performance valve springs and 274 cam
          S50 Connecting rods
          ARP Rod bolts
          ARP Main studs
          ARP Head studs
          Nuke adjustable cam gear
          Lol "325i into a 325e swap"

Don't try to BAR that car, its so modded its not even funny. If it runs clean, still no reason to explain it to a smog tech. It sounds fun as fuck, do you think your tune is good?

Why not take it to a random place for a precheck? (Not connected to the dmv) Just play dumb and say you just got the car or something, you think it needs work, and wanna know.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Hit up betz, he has a built m20 in the Fremont area. Im sure he can give you some good advice.
            sigpic

Comment

Hit up betz, he has a built m20 in the Fremont area. Im sure he can give you some good advice.
              Betz hooked me up with Ken and Motorspeed West.
              They looked at it today and tried a number of things to address a miss at 3800 RPM, without luck. (Suspect CPS)
              But thought it would pass the sniffer test and sent me to a test station nearby.

It passed smog! (Really clean too.)

Thanks McGyver.

Comment

Betz hooked me up with Ken and Motorspeed West.
                They looked at it today and tried a number of things to address a miss at 3800 RPM, without luck. (Suspect CPS)
                But thought it would pass the sniffer test and sent me to a test station nearby.

It passed smog! (Really clean too.)

Thanks McGyver.
                Bob if you ever want to sell this thing LMK...

Lets see some pics of this thing!
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Bob if you ever want to sell this thing LMK...

Lets see some pics of this thing!
                  Haha. The SMOG RESULTS were clean.
                  The car is a mess. Headliner torn up. Cracked dash. Torn up sport seats. Paint issues. No radio / cracked HVAC control panel. Second gear grinds and neutral rattles.

And, my boys are going to learn how to drive in it...
                  They will be 16 in 9 days.

Comment

Have not been here in a long time. Sold my e30 when i went to the airlines in 2016. miss it. have z3 now. looking for space to rent to part out z3 in east bay has m44 5 speed. Do e30 guys still buy z3 5 lug stuff?

Comment

^^Similar question:

I'm thinking about moving to SF from Oakland, which means giving up my single car garage. In order top open up housing options, I'm thinking about expanding my search to places without a garage.

I've been using Craigslist to search. Is there a better way to find a space to store my tools and wrench?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
                        Have not been here in a long time. Sold my e30 when i went to the airlines in 2016. miss it. have z3 now. looking for space to rent to part out z3 in east bay has m44 5 speed. Do e30 guys still buy z3 5 lug stuff?
                        what's wrong with it?

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post

what's wrong with it?

been sitting for many years..ran when parked, no title, was military vehicle overseas, it did come w some cool german plates i scored, im gonna put a battery on it soon am optomistic it will fire up
                          would be a full m44 5 speed drivetrain, diff is unknown, 5 lug swap, i want the subframe to powdercoat..

Comment

does anyone have an m20b25 intake manifold and/or throttle body they want to get rid of?
                            sigpic

Comment

does anyone have an m20b25 intake manifold and/or throttle body they want to get rid of?
                              I have an intake
                              cars beep boop

Comment

anyone want a free k24 (not affiliated):

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/zip...230864104.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X