No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i dropped my m20 in yesterday hooked everything back up and started it.

Cranked turned on for like 10 sec then died off.

Cranked again and suddenly a loud clunking sound began as fast as crank turns.

Turned out cam wasn't turning. Just crank. I'm thinking I fucked up setting the tensioner then belt skipped along the cam gear. Took several cranks to figure this out..

So my concern is. Was that clunking while turning it over the Pistons hitting the head.

My head is probably fucked huh..
    Im going to try resetting timing and trying again or is this pointless..

Comment

At this point, I would pull the head.

You could inspect the valves/pistons with a bore scope, but even then, you are probably going to need to pull it.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

That's what I was thinking.. At this point I'm ready to let it sit till further notice.

If Pistons did bend valves. Would I need to replace the block also? Or could I slap a diff head and call it good. I have 2. Another gasket set isn't too bad. Just time and effort is what has me thinking twice.

Comment

Yeah, as much as it sucks, you probably just killed your valves.
          "Changing your block" is going to hinge on how much damage was done to the pistons and/or bores.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

all these local timing belt failures are making me nervous lately.

Comment

So are you saying theres a small probabilty that theres very minimal damage and i can reset timing and try again.. hahaha
              fuck me

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
              Yeah, as much as it sucks, you probably just killed your valves.
              "Changing your block" is going to hinge on how much damage was done to the pistons and/or bores.

Comment

BAVSOUND came by today so I could finally listen to one of their systems in person. F80 M3. So good! Let me know if anyone needs a quote/estimate, we are an authorized dealer/installer of BAVSOUND equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

threw her up for sale. its been fun :) anyone need a truck LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                    BAVSOUND came by today so I could finally listen to one of their systems in person. F80 M3. So good! Let me know if anyone needs a quote/estimate, we are an authorized dealer/installer of BAVSOUND equipment.

As odd of an individual color Bavsounds' M3 is, Messing Metallic looks damn good on that car
                    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Kinda thinking messing mettalic would look good on my 76 2002.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by UgkNW* View Post
                        So i dropped my m20 in yesterday hooked everything back up and started it.

Cranked turned on for like 10 sec then died off.

Cranked again and suddenly a loud clunking sound began as fast as crank turns.

Turned out cam wasn't turning. Just crank. I'm thinking I fucked up setting the tensioner then belt skipped along the cam gear. Took several cranks to figure this out..

So my concern is. Was that clunking while turning it over the Pistons hitting the head.

My head is probably fucked huh..
                        Im going to try resetting timing and trying again or is this pointless..
                        From what I've seen in the past; if the engine is cold when the timing belt slips teeth the valves usually snap... Causing that clanking noise. If the engine is hot, the valves will bend and lock up the motor.

Not always

Comment

Is it cheaper through you. Or same price as their website.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Kinda thinking messing mettalic would look good on my 76 2002.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                            I fully support this
                            m106 1990 e30
                            e36 daily
                            e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
                              I fully support this
                              I second the motion. Make it so!
                              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Yeah. I really dig that color. They have a the full photo shoot for that car up on bimmerpost and stanceworks.
                                That wheel combo really bugs me though, dish in the back and concave in the front. Keeps catching my attention in a bad way.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1284386

I immediately tried to find some good pictures of it on an E30, but couldn't find any.

Comment

Working...
                                X