Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iansane
    replied
    Yeah, My guess would be it's to isolate NVH and so the shifter moves with the trans instead of flexing between the trans and the body. Mine's solid mounted back there.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    It's a plate shifter early trans. We're swapping in a manual to an auto '86. I have all the bits and the upper bow bracket, but this lower one is NLA. Looks to just sandwich the rubber bushing to isolate the back of the shift plate..?

Leave a comment:

• iansane
    replied
    What trans mounts do you have? I'm fairly certain I ditched that bushing and just made a small tab to bolt the sheetmetal shifter assembly straight to the chassis.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Thanks for looking. I found this post from maybe 2017 where a guy on the myE28 forum made an aluminum L with an E36 trans mount. I need to figure out dimensions. I see a slotted hole on the vertical where it bolts to the upper bow bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E28 shift plate fabricated bracket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	9937589

Leave a comment:

• kid325e
    replied
    Okay - I looked and remembered I sold that part with some shift linkage stuff I had.

That being said, it shouldn't take too long to make that bracket out of some scrap metal, weld a bolt onto one end and that should get you by until you can find the legit part. Just my .02; ended up doing the same thing in another build and worked great.

Leave a comment:

• kid325e
    replied
    I may have what you need - i'll have to dig around in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Repeat post in a couple of NW forums. Looking for the stamped steel rear shift mount bracket, called a "bow," # 25111207113 for an early shift plate transmission.
    Anyone have one in a box or under a parts car? I probably shouldn't start a manual swap without this piece.

If I had accurate dimensions, I could maybe have one fabbed from thicker flat plate steel (?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_152749.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	9936186

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
    Wow 2020 is a weird year, Will and Austin chatting? Yall must be bored
    "pAnDeMiC wOrLd BrO"

miss you, goat fucker

Leave a comment:

• EN318isPDX
    replied
    Wow 2020 is a weird year, Will and Austin chatting? Yall must be bored

Leave a comment:

• Habla
    replied
    Originally posted by Maybe Magpie View Post
    Hi friends! New PNW (seattleish area) e30 owner here....

Click image for larger version Name:	YK5KZHi.png Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	9923041

What do you all think? Good plan? Too much, too little?
    That sounds like a really nice car and a sweet plan! Black coupes are the best 😉

I spent all winter working on my house and waiting for our little son to show up. I hit a triple all in one week in early may: I got an offer on my house, we bought a sweet woody spot in kingston (with a shop, finally!), and we welcomed our little boy to the world on May 7th!

Also the car is looking dreamy with the mt1 kit and RMs on.

Where are my Kitsap people at?

Peter

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    i use a little bit of Dirko on the corners, block and pan side, with the cork gasket. easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Yeah the key is to cover the entire gasket in black permatex. My rear diff is wet but not dripping so that should eventually get replaced.

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
    I thought it would never happen too, I got really lucky and my rear main wasnt actually leaking so an oil pan and new power steering seals fixed all my leaks.
    my pan still has a very, very minor leak, but it isn't enough for me to care about, at least, not right now. about as "leak free" as this piece of shit will ever be, so, good enough.

at least yours is dry, i know that was always a bother to you!

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    I thought it would never happen too, I got really lucky and my rear main wasnt actually leaking so an oil pan and new power steering seals fixed all my leaks.

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    for the first time, in almost a decade of ownership, my red car does not leak a single fluid. the world truly is ending.............

finally gathered up enough interest to replace the rear crankshaft seal + flange seal, input/output/shift shaft seals on the transmission, clutch kit + sport "618" pressure plate, fuel tank and all fuel hoses. went with the spectra fuel tank. for the money, i can't complain. sure beats a rusty, rotten, beat to hell, 32 year old unit. fingers crossed that this will be the last major service for a while...

happy friday, all - may you all get to spend some time bonding with your e30s this weekend

Leave a comment:

Working...
X