PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
    Well my Automatic (yes auto) I need a swap soon...

4th gear is not engaging does anyone know the best place to start trouble shooting?

I might disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that solves the issue, next will be a tranny fluid flush by a shop.
    Is it a true four speed auto? Or three then a locking torque converter?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

So bored, glad I have Netflix on my iPad right now, it's my only saving grace other then my wife who is sleeping. Might as well order a few things for the e30 since I have nothing else to do

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
      That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
        Is it a true four speed auto? Or three then a locking torque converter?

It has the:

the 4HP22

I have the option to select sport mode, economic and 1,2,3
        Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

I really really hate my confidence level when venturing into new cars, but learning from my mistakes is the biggest reward. I just PM'd EJnight about his 88 5-spd swap working in a 86 325e I know it should bolt right up!
          Originally posted by James Crivellone
          1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Originally posted by HarukoE30 View Post
            I really really hate my confidence level when venturing into new cars, but learning from my mistakes is the biggest reward. I just PM'd EJnight about his 88 5-spd swap working in a 86 325e I know it should bolt right up!
            I'm not positive but I think there is a difference in the transmissions between the years. Something about the bellhousing

Bahama Beige E23 Project
            Bluebird Bus Conversion
            New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
              Well my Automatic (yes auto) I need a swap soon...

4th gear is not engaging does anyone know the best place to start trouble shooting?

I might disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that solves the issue, next will be a tranny fluid flush by a shop.
              I had the same trans in my M30 powered E28. Sometimes, mine wouldn't shift up to fourth either. What I would do is manually shift it down to third, turn the switch to "3-2-1" and then turn it back to "E" and shift to "D." Try that and see if it'll kick up. If that doesn't work, then what a better excuse to neutral drop it, fry it, then swap it!
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

^ correct, the eta's have 2sensors on the bell housing were a I model has it on the cranks shaft pulley.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                  I'm not positive but I think there is a difference in the transmissions between the years. Something about the bellhousing
                  You are correct, good sir.

Early model transmissions have two holes for reference sensors in the bellhousing of the transmission. Late model transmissions do not, as they have in place of the two reference sensors, a single crankshaft position sensor.

Comment

I can't seem to find the correct information on any forum that states what exactly I need for a 325e auto-manual swap, including hooking up an 325i engine.

Originally posted by MickeyFinn503 View Post
                    You are correct, good sir.

Early model transmissions have two holes for reference sensors in the bellhousing of the transmission. Late model transmissions do not, as they have in place of the two reference sensors, a single crankshaft position sensor.
                    So my downfall with this E30 coming to light is the fact that it's an 86e and not 88. FML

I want to just flipping rage; the components to the plan all seem to line up, but than there is always one fucking issue that prevents the whole plan from coming to life.
                    Last edited by HarukoE30; 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

So my downfall with this E30 coming to light is the fact that it's an 86e and not 88. FML

I want to just flipping rage; the components to the plan all seem to line up, but than there is always one fucking issue that prevents the whole plan from coming to life.
                      Sorry man! Did you already buy it? There have been a few early model 260's on CL recently. I know that Joseph over at Munich Motorworks has one. O'Hara might have one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyFinn503 View Post
                        Sorry man! Did you already buy it? There have been a few early model 260's on CL recently. I know that Joseph over at Munich Motorworks has one. O'Hara might have one as well.
                        No I haven't bought the car yet. The car in question is a 86' 325 with a bad motor and auto-tragic. I want to buy bmwm42's 325i engine & do the swap, along with ejnight's 5-spd kit. I can't find any concrete information saying you need to use this, not that. In fact if I end up somehow getting this to work I'll make a thread about it.

I need a 88' 325i engine to work in a 86' 325, along with a 5-spd setup. If anyone can help me with the leg work in finding out what I need that be great.

edit: In my head it sounds like the 325i engine won't bolt up to the 325 transmission even if it was an 5-speed because of the bell housing and holes.
                        Last edited by HarukoE30; 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Well couldn't you use an early trans on an 'i' motor, it would just have some holes that aren't used?

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                          Bluebird Bus Conversion
                          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Well couldn't you use an early trans on an 'i' motor, it would just have some holes that aren't used?
                            I am sorry for being a specific person. By early you mean use a 85-86 325i Transmission on the 86e?

Comment

Oh, and if you are swapping Phil's M20i engine and using Eric's 5 speed setup it will be fine. The trans out of his vert parts car is already behind an 'i' motor, so it will fit behind an 'i' engine without issue. Make sure you get the harness and DME from Phil's car also. But I am sure you already knew that ;)

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                              Bluebird Bus Conversion
                              New Oregon Trail

Comment

I am sorry for being a specific person. By early you mean use a 85-86 325i Transmission on the 86e?
                                No I meant an 'e' trans on an 'i' engine. Should bolt up and the same way, just have two empty spots where the sensors go. Someone with more hands on experience than I should chime in if I am wrong :)

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                                Bluebird Bus Conversion
                                New Oregon Trail

Comment

Working...
                                X