No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installed a new v-belt on my car after the last one decided to self destruct. felt like the tension was good, but im still getting belt slippage at 3k and above....

im worried i might overtighten this one and have it commit suicide also.

tips?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      Quick question. Do you people often use standard e30 rear struts when doing coilover conversions. Or is there some other ones people use when wanting to go low?
      I've heard f-body (camaro/firebird 82-02) rear shocks are a bit shorter than e30 shocks with very similar mounting.
      84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
      Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
        installed a new v-belt on my car after the last one decided to self destruct. felt like the tension was good, but im still getting belt slippage at 3k and above....

tips?
        when you push down on it with your thumb you want it to move right around 1/2 inch.

hows the VW going?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
          16V ftw everything else is just eghhhhh
          ^this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

had a vbelt issue on my car too, it was a bit too tight so it was squeeking.

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post

tips?
              l
              l
              l
              l
              l
              V

Originally posted by e30Rooster View Post
              when you push down on it with your thumb you want it to move right around 1/2 inch.
              Originally posted by James Crivellone
              1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Could also be that there is a groove in the pulley meaning the surface area of the belt only touches a portion on the pulley.

Comment

Does anyone know if the early e cars use the same 60-2 crank position setup as the later cars? (obviously not in the same location, but the same tooth count/setup?)
                  84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                  Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                    I've heard f-body (camaro/firebird 82-02) rear shocks are a bit shorter than e30 shocks with very similar mounting.
                    I installed these on my '91 318i. Requires pressing out the lower F body bushings and reusing the e30 ones. Also requires partial loading of the suspension in order to fit the lower bushings over the mounts, so they are substantially shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
                      16V ftw everything else is just eghhhhh
                      I use to be a 20 valve guy myself.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

looks like all the abuse ive thrown at the car is finally starting to show...

im getting a vibration at low speeds/ low rpms in the driveshaft. CSB? guibo?? im getting under the car soon to do some other work so im hoping to fix at the same time
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Most likely the CSB, they love to fail on these cars.
                          "Bayerische Motoren Werke - freude am fahren."

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Comment

Mine completely ripped from the housing about a month ago. Changing that at midnight with no parts stores being open was so much fun...

I'd put money on a CSB. When I pulled my driveshaft, the guibo was starting to show some wear, so I changed it at the same time.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Heater core just took a shit. Yayyyyy
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Just remember that at some point you will have replaced everything on that car lol.
                                sorry man, least it's not an E28 heater core
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X